"Movie" setting vs. shooting video in P/S/A/M

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by (G), Oct 3, 2012.

1. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    I've read the manual a dozen times, and I'm just not understanding what the big advantage of the "Movie" setting (on the dial) is, versus just hitting the orange button while in P/A/S/ or M modes. I understand that Movie mode has the two effects, but if you're not using those, why bother?

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The orange button can be programmed to other functions and many users do just that. The "movie" setting on the dial then becomes the only way to shoot video. For folks who rarely shoot video it's a bonus to be able to use the button for something else - I use the button on my E-PL2 for One Touch White Balance. :cool:

3. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    So, in other words, there really is no difference!

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    What camera are you talking about? On the GH2, the Movie mode is the only mode where you can access some of the more advanced moviemaking features of the camera, such as higher bit rates, slo-mo, etc.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Not that I'm aware of. I sort of assume that since this was posted in the Olympus forum you have an Oly camera. The orange button is simply a fast way to access movie mode, which could be handy if you were out shooting stills and saw something you wanted to quickly video. :cool:

6. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Sorry... talking about the OM-D.

7. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Thanks, Bob. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

It's too bad the dial settings can't be changed to MYSETs.

8. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    If you set the OMD to manual exposure within the menu for video-shooting, then you will have manual-exp ONLY when it set to movie-mode on the mode dial.

If you hit the orange-movie-rec-button on P/S/A/M, even if you set video-shooting within the menu to manual-exp, it will shoot auto-exp.

Fix: Disable the orange button for video-recording or set it to something else..which forces you to switch the mode-dial whenever/if you want to film ..so you won't accidentally come home with a bunch of auto-exposed video clips.

• Like Like x 1
  9. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Good thought! Thanks!

10. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Sorry to do a Lazarus on this thread...

But it seems to me it's just as easy to switch to Aperture mode and shoot movies from there. Would be the same thing.