1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Movi Camera Stabilizer

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by woody112704, Apr 12, 2013.

1. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
  2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Yes, what a great tool for video!!

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

$15K! It looks awesome but you have big money to get one! It must be powered to be that stable. It makes a full steadicam rig look very affordable{they are $10k}

Even if they have a smaller version at half the price it would still be $7500. Still way out of the price range of the average guy. Of coarse once the Chinese get one they will copy it and sell it for $2000.

4. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Yeah, but I would think that if they aim it for regular consumers it probably wont be as crazy as that one and be much much more affordable. Just my guess. There are a few on kickstarter that seem pretty good and one was under $200 and the other was quite a bit more expensive like almost $600 I think.

Here's the cheaper one. THE PICOSTEADY - Video Camera Stabilizer

5. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    The Segway guys should have figured this out a few years ago! I was going to post this but couldn't decide which forum to throw it in. In about ten years the movie industry is going to be looking a lot more like the music industry looks now :)

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    WOW! That is going to revolutionize film-making!

7. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Absolutely incredible! I have used several devices and I still own a Turtle Rig. Nothing can compete with this new design. Considering it's abilities, $15k is a bargain.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That is a totally mechanical stabilizer. They work good and if you are crafty you can build your own for under $50. The Movi stabilizer is so stable it has to have a power gyro in it. I have heard of these used for aerial mounts. I have used a full on chest rig steadicam{local film school has one} and it is incredible but no where near as stable as the Movi.

I once used a walking stick as a stabilizer for a light camcorder. My trusty old Tracks stick has a built in camera mount. Simply screw on the camera and hold the stick just below the camera and instant stabilizer. It doesn't work with heavy cams or long lenses but works great for lighter/shorter ones.

9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I occasionally use a walking stick to stabilize a camera too. My trusty old wife holds the camera, and if she moves I just hit her with the walking stick. :biggrin: