1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Move from GX1 to OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jerrykur, Oct 28, 2012.

1. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    Hi,

I am thinking about moving from a GX-1 to a OM-D. I like the GX1, but as a DLR shooter (Canon 1DMK3 and 5DMK3) I find that I want/need through the lens shooting. But I have a couple of questions.

1) Is the kit with the 12-50 lens a good deal? I have a Pana 14-42 and it is Ok. I also have a Pana 20 1.7 which I will keep.

2) The price is the reason I got the GX1 kit a few months back. Does anyone think the OM-D will go on sale this holiday season?

Jerry

2. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I ran a GX1 and an OM-D side by side for a while. The GX1 eventually got replaced by a G5, mostly because of the recent deal that offered the 12-35/2.8 for $900 if you bought it with a G5, and I realized that since I never used the GX1 without the LVF swapping it for a G5 made some sense. Anyway...

1. Yes, the 12-50mm is a good buy as a kit lens, and it's a very good lens. As a single lens, it's very handy. It's real shortcoming IMHO is that it's very slow, which is why I sold mine and replaced it with the 12-35/2.8. However, 12-50mm is an incredibly useful range.

2. No idea about holiday pricing. :smile:

I liked the GX1 a lot, and I like the G5 a lot, but I like the OM-D more, all things considered.

3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

1) Good lens.... I too have the 12-35 f/2.8 but I find that the 12-50mm makes a good general walk around lens. Better range on the long end, Macro in a pinch, also weather resistant. With that said, if you can find a good deal on an OMD E-M5 bod only I would not hesitate... I think the 14-42mm will be just as good.

2) People ask about holiday pricing all the time.. for all sorts of items. The only people that really know are the manufacturers and maybe certain retailers. Why would anyone expect regular consumers to know this type of information beats me.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Probably will, but with the E-PL5 kits listing for $700 and not yet out, we won't see the kind of price drops on the E-M5 that we saw with the GX1. More likely we'll see rebates for the E-M5 with certain Olympus lenses purchased at the same time.

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I am thinking about the same lateral move. Way I see it, the main attraction of the 12-50 is it gives the whole package water resistance, which is part of the reason to get OMD IMHO. So, unless the plan is to get the Panasonic's also WR 12-35, I'd say 12-50 is a good way to go.

From following m43 pricing, I'd say Olympus seems to be holding very steady with pricing on its premium models. EP3 didn't get the kind of discounts we saw on GX1, even though it had an older sensor. lower priced models like EPM saw all the discounts.

6. Jodie_harsh

Jodie_harsh Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2012
    London
    Just made this move myself (albeit waiting for the OMD to arrive). I've had the GX1 since Feb and really enjoyed it. It's been part paired with the 14mm 2.5 as I love the size and compactness.

The first time I picked up the OMD was only a few weeks ago and tbh, wasn't getting on with the menu and settings. I like the simplicity of the GX1 but the extra features of the OMD has just swing it for me, especially the LFV since using the CV 25mm is pretty awkward using just the LCD screen.

I've very nearly bought the Lvf2 for the gx1 but couldn't justifice the price seeing as I had originally spend £600 on the gx1 kit. What made me take the dive for the OMD was all of the obvious features over the gx1 BUT the main reason... Price. I found an amazing deal for a brand new OMD with kit lens etc for £769. Too good to miss.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Being an Olympus user I certainly wouldn't stop you from switching to an OM-D as that is what I would have bought in the first place. However, since you have a GX-1, have you considered just getting the LVF-2 instead of buying a whole new camera?

Or perhaps you were 1) wanting a second body or 2) planning on selling the GX-1 to pay for it?

8. Jodie_harsh

Oct 13, 2012
    London
    To add, I will be selling the GX1 body.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If that's you main concern, you could just add an EVF. The LVF2 is a pretty good VF, fairly comparable to the Olympus one in the E-M5.

10. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    Thanks for the replies. I do have the LVF-2 and find it a bit fiddly. I am going to try the OMD and see if I like the OVF better and see how the IBIS works.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There is no OVF on the OM-D. It is also an EVF, but built-in rather than detachable.

You may or may not like it better, but it's definitely a good idea that you try it out first before making too many hard commitments. ;)

12. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    Opps, my typing mistake. I realize that the OMD has an EVF. Anyway I will try the OMD and see if it is any better and hopefully more responsive.

I do like the idea of the VF on the OMD recognizing when you look through the viewfinder. Having to push a button every time you toggle between the back screen and the viewfinder is painful.

13. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    One other concern I have about the OM-D is that I use the viewfinder with my left eye. This has not been a problem with the GX-1, but several people have mentioned it as an issue on the OM-D.

14. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    What's the issue with upswing the viewfinder with the left eye? I ask as I am left eye dominant and about to buy a OMD

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I am left-eye dominant and have absolutely no trouble at all with the OM-D (or, for that matter, the G5).

16. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    Thank you, problem solved

17. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    In fairness :smile: the fact that it doesn't bother me doesn't mean it doesn't bother anyone. As a general matter, the small size of m4/3 bodies means that some cameras just won't for some user. Having survived, even thrived, for many decades with manual wind film Leica RFs and Nikon and Leica SLRs, the OM-D is a breeze. :thumbup:

18. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    That's great to hear. I can't wait to get mine to try.

19. Jodie_harsh

Oct 13, 2012
    London
    Sorry to (kind of hijack) the thread. Just received my OMD. Amazing camera, surprisingly lighter and smaller than expected. The menus are pretty complex, seeing that I've come from a GX1 which I was able to configure from picking it up. It's taken a while getting used to the configuration. Amazing how so much is configurable. Haven't got all of it figured out yet but do have try important ones to start shooting.

20. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    It took me a couple of weeks to figure out how I wanted the menus configured on the OM-D. Once I got it set up correctly, it's a really superb tool. :thumbup: