Move from G2 to G3?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by battleaxe, Dec 10, 2012.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Now that the G3 can be had for some very nice prices now I wanted to see comments and remarks from users who moved from the G2 to the G3. How is the handling & balance with the large/heavier lenses? My only concern would be the handling would be compromised for wildlife photography. Thanks.

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I found the G3 perfectly useable with both the 14 - 140 and the 100 - 300 (altough Id have to say that the G5 is that much better with these lenses due to the larger grip)
    I used to use only a wrist strap on my G3 and was happy to hold the G3 with one hand running in front of my three year old capturing photos of her running along behind me etc with the 14 - 140
    I was always happy with the G3 as I thought it was a good compromise in size which allowed a reasonable grip but the size and minimal grip made it reasonably pocketable with a pancake at the same time
    A very good camera in my opinion
    I now have a GH3 and sold my G5 to fund that but I would be very happy to have a G3 as a second body and the prices now are fabulous value for what you get - vari angle LCD touchscreen, built in VF, good sensor, much better high ISO performance than the G2
    The thing you might miss is the external controls of the G2 which is one of the reasons or me buying a GH3 and also if you are into video the G3 does not have an external microphone socket like the G2 (DMW -MS1E)
    Regards
    Rob
    PS there have been several previous threads asking a similar questions which you may wish to search for

• Like Like x 1
  3. battleaxe

Thank you for the reply. Do you miss the lack of the evf switch, and extra buttons vs the GH3/G5? As for microphone, I doubt I would ever use the external mic port, but I do like the idea of stereo mics, something the G2 lacks.
    Well I thought I asked again since the G3 is now priced much lower, which could tempted a few of the current owners to switch so there would be more feedback.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I definitely prefer the ergonomics of the G2 (or GH2) to the G3. The larger grip, the eye-sensor, and more manual controls all add up to a more satisfying shooting experience.

But.... the G3 definitely produces better output, especially in jpg.

I don't find the lack of an eye-sensor to be a deal-breaker. Then again, I don't chimp. But since you can review images and the histogram in the EVF, it's more convenient to keep the camera to my eye anyway. Only when I need to go to the menu or quick menu, or review a large number of images, do I bother to turn the screen on.

I don't think the lack of a real grip is a deal-breaker either. The heaviest lens I've used on it is hte 14-140. I can certainly tell the difference between the two cameras with that lens attached, but more so when carrying it than when shooting it.

Using the screen rather than having external buttons or switches is a real personal thing. The quick menu can be customized to contain most of the things you use frequently, which helps. I guess it depends on whether you tend to set the camera up a particular way, and leave it that way for quite some time, or whether you're changing settings for almost every shot.

At today's prices, the G3 is a heck of a deal. Only the deals on the GH2 might keep me from upgrading from a G2 to a G3 at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dougsinnott

dougsinnott New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2012
    G3 vs G2?

I currently have a new G3,and trying to decide whether to keep it,and sell my old G2.
    Although the image quality at higher ISO is better on the G3,I have found the G2 a much better handling camera,,and,,at at anything up to 800 ISO,perfectly good image quality,in my view,certainly up to A3.
    The G3 is that bit TOO small,and the G2 feels a more balanced,and more solid camera,and the EVF eye sensor is a definite plus.
    So,I may now sell the G3 instead,!
    Am I alone in preferring the G2 handling,over the G3?
    Is the picture quality that much better on the G3,as at lower isos,at 100%,I can't see any real difference!

6. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    You're probably not alone but I found that although the grip was a little limited ergonomically on the G3 it was also a very good compromise between handling and pocketability
    The G3 would fit into a large pocket with a pancake fitted which is not an option with G2 or G5 and as such sacrificing a little on the grip was worth it for me and I consider the G3 to be a good choice for anyone as a result
    The lack of a VF /LCD switch was not a huge issue for me as I used-the VF almost all the time

7. 00r101

00r101 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2012
    G3 compared to G2 - Pros - noticeably better IQ. Touch focus, touch shutter. Better video. Lighter, smaller

Cons - does not feel as comfortable. Loss of several controls now moved to software. No evf eye sensor

Recommendation - buy the G3 but if you can play with one first to be sure you can live with the ergonomic compromises.

Personally, I was happy with my G3 over the G2 but I am happier still with my G5. It fixes most of the cons above and has slightly better IQ and better movie modes and scenes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. battleaxe

G2 also has touch focus, and shutter.