MOVE: awesome & curious video

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by cuervo.taylor, Jun 5, 2013.

1. cuervo.taylor

cuervo.taylor Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Hi guys check out this video it's so awesome.

https://vimeo.com/27246366

It was filmed with a 5d, can you tell me with what kind of lens was it film and the equivalent in micro 4/3.

2. powderbanks

powderbanks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    Cool video. Not sure what kind of lens, but as for focal length, definitely something in the wide angle range at a high f-stop. For m4/3, something around 14mm would probably work.

3. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    nice one! looks like it's between 20mm-28mm on FF. so I agree with powderbanks, a 14mm would probably work very close to it.

4. cuervo.taylor

May 20, 2013
    When you say "high f-stop" it means fast or slow lens? can you say more or less the f-stop in numbers just to have a reference.

5. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    As everyone else, it's just a wide angle lens, set to a high f stop so that there's some decent depth of field. You could do the same thing with a 14-42mm kit lens set to 14mm really. What makes the video cool has very little to do with the specific focal length of the lens used.

6. cuervo.taylor

May 20, 2013
    high f stop=small aperture=decent depth of field (?)

7. powderbanks

powderbanks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    It would be a 'slow' lens, f stop was probably in the f/12+ range. As others said, it gives you much more depth of field (in-focus area)

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What makes you think it is only one lens? Obviously many of the shots are wide and thus a wide lens was used but other shots could have been more in the normal range of focal length. There is also one shot where the lens is zoomed back{or the camera was dollied back but if it was it was a very good dolly!}.

The coolest thing about this video is the editing! They did a very good job of making it look as if the guy is just walking forward as the background changes. This took a fair amount of planning and lots of shooting BUT mainly many, many hours in post.

9. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    i think we were responding to what the OP can use to get a similar output.

agree on the editing piece ... though, nothing new really.

10. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The individual sequences are video. If he followed the 180 degree shutter rule, he was shooting at 1/50, 1/60, or maybe 1/120 seconds. Many of the scenes are bright days, so he may have, as many suggested, stopped down to get the DOF and to obey the 180 degree rule*.

* It's not actually a rule, more like a rule of thumb.

11. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I disagree. Asides from causing seizures, I thought it was boring. I liked the music, but that was about it. Sorry if my opinion differed from others'.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.