Mouse Options (MAC) for Editing in Photoshop/Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Aushiker, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    I saw mentioned in a thread a little while back that the poster was using a gaming mouse (I assume on a PC) when editing in Photoshop.

As I am starting to explore using Photoshop I am finding I am struggling to get nice fine detail control with my Apple Magic Mouse 1 [1] and hence wonder what other Mac users use for a mouse in this context and/or if there is a really hot mouse option for a Mac user.

[1] Watching people like Chelsea Northrup using a tablet I know I am not getting as detailed pen (or mouse control) as she and others do.

Anyway curious as to what folks are using and suggestions on mouse. I am not interested in going down the path of a tablet as yet and as my mouse is starting to age getting a suitable replacement might be the way to go.

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I used to use the first Magic Mouse and now I use the second one. Handling wise I think there is little difference. What I found made a difference was using a gaming mouse pad instead of just using the mouse on my desk top. I've wondered about a gaming mouse but haven't tried one.

I do all my processing in Lightroom and don't have Photoshop but I doubt that makes a big difference. I've struggled with fine detail control and I struggle less with the gaming mouse pad so it could be worth your while starting there anyway since a mouse pad is cheaper than a mouse.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Good idea. I like my Magic Mouse so if I can improve the control with a mouse pad that would be good. Now off to learn about mouse pads :)

Edit: Quick look at JB Hi-Fi ... mouse pads from $10 to $50 ... The big question is how to tell if the extra dollars is worth it.
  4. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Not the cheapest option by any means, but have you considered an Apple Magic Trackpad? My Magic mouse gathers dust and I just use the trackpad all the time with my iMac. I have the original version, not the newer one, but I like it a lot and I use the Apple gestures to get the most out of it. You might consider watching a few videos about it and reading some reviews to see if you think it would solve some of your issues, and whether or not you are willing to learn the gestures that make it especially useful (if not, definitely don't waste your money). FWIW I hate laptop trackpads as a general rule, but this is different. It is larger and much more useful with the gestures. As a heavy iPad user I just find it a lot more natural for me than a mouse and I think it helps with hand/wrist stress, too. Making selective adjustments to a photo is a little like painting with the finger tip. The newer one is even bigger and has Force Touch but is much more expensive and I don't think I would have spent that much. I got the original one (which can still be purchased) as a Christmas gift shortly after they came out 5+ years ago. I have upgraded my iMac since then, but the trackpad still works great.

I also have one of the more inexpensive consumer grade Wacom tablet options (one of the Bamboos, I think), but I only use it for digital drawing or handwriting. I used it a lot more before I got the trackpad, though.
  5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Wacom or iPad Pro.
  6. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    +1 on the apple track pad. I really like painting stuff in with my fingers and it feels precise. That said, anything should be good enough for foto editing really. You only need these pen/tablet things when you are actually painting stuff, not just painting over filters with what is mostly a soft brush.
  7. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
  8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    If you want precision....wacom tablet.
  9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Logitech G502 or other similar gaming mouse - Wacom Intuos Touch small tablet
  10. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    if you also own an ipad, take a look at the app astropad

I've just started using that with my macbook pro and a stylus and I'm really enjoying it, have plenty still to learn but I'm finding it so much nicer than trying to use the mouse.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I use a Mac and I am a gamer. I have found that the Razer line of mice are great for photo editing as well as gaming, currently I use the Naga Epic which is a great mouse. I love their software Razer Synapse that runs in the background, it allows you use program specific mouse binding. This makes changing brushes or tool in PS so easy, not sure I would like editing without it. I have an Intuos 5 that just could never get into using and still prefer a mouse to the tablet.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I'm using a Logitech G700s with the button configuration pushed into it's memory (I can plug it into my laptop or pc (or someone elses) and I have my buttons and sensitivity, no drivers needed), I also have a large Wacom intuos Pro (it's about A4 size active area) and a smaller Wacom One (4x6) for use with a laptop (they're about $30 in china).

The mouse has a few macros saved to various buttons such as zooming (ctrl+space+left click on one button, drag the mouse around), brush size (alt + right click, drag the mouse around for size and hardness), etc.