Mountainsmith Tour FX lumbar pack, anyone use?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by JYPfoto, Apr 13, 2016.

1. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Thinking of grabbing a smaller bag to just carry around for a few hours, saw this bag. Not too expensive at $68 online, a decent amount off the retail price of $99. Read a few reviews, one stated they could fit two E-M1's with the 12-40 and the 40-150 attached. Looking for any user reports from people here on comfort/fit, etc.

2. jpig

jpig Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    I own a couple of these lumbar packs from 15-20 yrs ago and often use them to carry my OMD EM10 with 2-3 extra lenses. They aren't padded, but my camera and lenses are usually in neoprene cases anyway, so it works fine. Mountainsmith makes the most comfortable and adjustable lumbar packs I've ever carried. At least they did years ago when I bought mine, but I don't think the design has changed too much since then.

3. jpig

jpig Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    Oops, I hadn't realized you were talking about a photography specific lumbar pack. Mine are just the plain hiking ones and have no padding or dividers. They still work fine. The one you're considering looks even better suited for the stated purpose. The price seems right, too.

4. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Thanks for following the input. I look forward to giving it a try, as if the non photo is that comfortable then I would figure that the photo specific one will be even better.

Just got a Retrospective 6 in today and I'll decide on one of the two to keep, not sure if I'll keep both.

5. JonVdG

JonVdG Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2016
    Colorado, USA
    Jon
    I'm a Mountainsmith Pro because I love their camera packs. The Tour FX is the best lumbar camera pack available - super comfortable, stable under moderate loads, and as durable as they get. Its internal padding does a fantastic job of protecting my gear. This pack is based on the original Tour, which started the lumbar pack revolution. For M43, you're unlikely to experience any sagging issues that plague most lumbar packs. However, if you do add a lot of weight to it, use the included shoulder strap to stabilize the load. With a couple small camera bodies, two small lenses, water, snacks, and a light jacket, mine is very stable. I trail run with it when I'm doing my mountain weather photography work and don't need a full backpack. Hope that helps, happy shooting.

6. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    I use a Tour LTS with an insert or a wrap with my EM1 and a lens or two. It's a nice pack. I use a backpack more. But sometimes when I am just out hiking with the pups it is perfect.
    P9080035.