Mount second camera on a tripod leg

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Is there some sort of arm like the gorillapod series of flexible tripod where I could attach a second camera on one of my tripod legs, while I am already using the first camera on top of the tripod with the rails.

The logic is that the main camera will be used for zooming in, zooming out, panning. And the second camera (G85, GH5 or G9) is a fixed wide angle lens (PL 8-18).

I just want to avoid having to bring a monopod for the second camera when it could be simply attached on the tripod.
Is there some sort of flexible arm that I can attach to the leg? Ideally it comes with a small tripod mount like my gorrilapod.

I already tried to attach the gorrilapod and it's not tight enough around the leg. I could use duct tape...

In the first picture, you will see I have a hole (on the top section of the leg on the left) that I think is usually used for extra accessories? You can see through the hole but it doesn't have a thread inside.
In the second picture you see how I would attach it with the gorrilapod, but it's not secure enough.

thank you in advance for your legendary help.

tripod2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

tripod1.jpg

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The only thing I might watch out for is overtightening the clamp and damaging the leg.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Look at the Bogen/Manfrotto Super Clamp. It's a clamp with an articulating arm and a lightstand top that you can attach whatever you want to. B&H, Adorama, your local or favorite camera shop. Used ones are generally as good as new ones, but look of course.

This.

I've done this myself. Manfrotto Super Clamp + Spigot adapter + Ball and Socket head.

Be careful not to dent/deform your tripod leg with the clamp.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Magic-F...267153?hash=item5b650b5bd1:g:PSoAAOSwKKZdy3Wc

a.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SmallRi...=282939980106a7a7bf3cdb8d421cbfd07b8bdbc2e940

b.jpg

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Those small rig clamps are good. At first I purchased a no name brand but the joints did not tighten up enough to hold any weight.
When I got the smallrig one it held my led light OK, never tried anything heavier.
with smallrig you can get the articulated arms in diferen tlenghts. I imagine the longer you get them the less they will hold and potentially add vibration to the tripod leg.

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Smallrig stuff is okay.

Their smallest ball and socket heads are not up to the job as a camera support IMO, and I definitely would not suspend my camera by the hotshoe! Those shoes are normally attached to the body with three tiny screws.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Smallrig stuff is okay.

Their smallest ball and socket heads are not up to the job as a camera support IMO, and I definitely would not suspend my camera by the hotshoe! Those shoes are normally attached to the body with three tiny screws.
I often wonder about those handles they sell that attach to the hot shoe, they could cause a lot of leverage to the hot shoe depending on the lens attached.
But then again some video people seem to hang a lot of monitors etc on the hot shoe.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
I use this for a dual flash system but I've just mounted an E m10mkll on one of the arms and it held it well. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Fle...521313?hash=item2630ebdda1:g:aHkAAOSwQvheHBfj

d.jpg
k.jpg
m.jpg

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I often wonder about those handles they sell that attach to the hot shoe, they could cause a lot of leverage to the hot shoe depending on the lens attached.
But then again some video people seem to hang a lot of monitors etc on the hot shoe.

I've seen those things - and carry handles :)

I'm just paranoid (and I used to book in camera repairs in a retail shop).

I can envisage a scenario where a telephoto lens is mounted on the camera at just the wrong angle, then the tripod is lifted up and placed back down. Once you can picture things being moved/jolted, then it doesn't take much imagination to think of the forces those little screws are subjected to.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
... attach a second camera on one of my tripod legs ...
I would not consider doing this. There are any number of clamps that will attach, but I think there is near certainty that you will damage the tripod leg.

In high quality tripods at least, clearances between tubes are a few 0.001" and wall thicknesses (to save weight) are minimal. The leg tubes are designed to be loaded in compression as columns with minimal transverse loading where the fittings attach. A point-source load such as a clamp might create was not even considered in the design.

With an aluminum leg the difference between clamped tight enough and "aw s#it!" will be minimal or nonexistent, resulting in a distorted leg that cannot be collapsed. With carbon it is a crap shoot as the failure will be a delamination.

If you cannot resist the temptation, clamp only to the center column. If you screw that up it is less important.

I would look to the leg-top castings as shown in your first picture with the unthreaded boss. Maybe figure out some kind of metal plate that can be attached after drilling and tapping some holes?

Alternatively: Lots of gaffer tape.

Real Name
Walter

I think the video guys usually use cages to attach stuff to the camera. Cages make more sense. Wouldn't put anything heavier than a medium sized flash on my hotshoe.

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@oldracer

Guys, don't worry about my tripod legs, they're thick metal from a +500$ manfrotto tripod. The legs are oversized and thicker compared to most tripods I had. I could defend myself from zombies just swinging the legs.

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think the video guys usually use cages to attach stuff to the camera. Cages make more sense. Wouldn't put anything heavier than a medium sized flash on my hotshoe.
@Holoholo55 Please see my setup in the first post, I will be using a camera with rails (and a zoom lens, not attached on my camera in the picture)...and I need a secondary and stationary camera for a ultra wide angle shot at the same time.

The most simple solution is to buy a monopod, I just don't want to spend 150$ if there's a 25$ solution.

MetilHed

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
I have seen arms that mount to the tripod head (where you would normally mount the camera) that have 2 separate mounts for 2 camera bodies, maybe 1 foot apart (maybe adjustable). I seem to remember one from Manfrotto, so I'm sure others make them as well.

Latest threads

Top Bottom