MOTORSPORTS Thread - Post Your Fast Paced Action Here

Kae1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Hopefully, my last post of edited 2019 race meetings ?
P1350372b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1350570a.jpg

A couple from last year's British GT race at Donington Park.

Mu-43 Legend
Finally! After a tortuous amount of waiting and some in-between asking (begging?), they've gotten around to issuing our media passes for the 2020 drag racing season. Right now it's still in the form of an email from the track, but it works the same. They're racing every weekend and fans have been allowed since the second Monday in June. The first event I plan to attend will be the 11th Detroit Dragway Reunion on July 25th. A lot of racing including the one of the larger meets Called 'Kickin' it Old School' have been cancelled due to the shorter season.

View attachment 833931 _0008a by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr
I don’t know much about drag racing, but those look like really basic (though I am sure high HP) engines? Do I see a distributor cap and a naturally aspirated engine? Or is that the ‘kickin’ it old school” race?

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Finally! After a tortuous amount of waiting and some in-between asking (begging?), they've gotten around to issuing our media passes for the 2020 drag racing season. Right now it's still in the form of an email from the track, but it works the same. They're racing every weekend and fans have been allowed since the second Monday in June. The first event I plan to attend will be the 11th Detroit Dragway Reunion on July 25th. A lot of racing including the one of the larger meets Called 'Kickin' it Old School' have been cancelled due to the shorter season.

View attachment 833931 _0008a by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Looking forward to seeing some pictures ???

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I don’t know much about drag racing, but those look like really basic (though I am sure high HP) engines? Do I see a distributor cap and a naturally aspirated engine? Or is that the ‘kickin’ it old school” race?

It's considered old school, but that is an alcohol (methanol) burning engine with a blower (supercharger). Alcohol engines can make up to 4,000 horsepower. That one is a slingshot rail (old school) that will do about 225 MPH in a 6 second 1/4 mile. Not a distributor cap, all electronic.

The newer Top Alcohol engines can get speeds up to 275-300 MPH and go from 0-100 in 1 second. They still run Alcohol cars but of newer design. Top Alcohol comes in just under Top Fuel, which burn Nitromethane and can generate up to 10,000 HP.

There are many classes that require regular gas (gasser class, for one) and simplified motors. If you poked around in the Flickr album you saw some, which what I'm assuming your post is based on. Most people think of drag racing as the fastest, which is inaccurate. It comes down to the quickest, not the fastest. In bracket racing you set a low elapsed time during time trials, and if you fall below that during the elimination rounds it's called a 'breakout' (you broke out of your division) and amounts to disqualification.

Last edited:

Kae1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken

It's great that racing is starting to resume :yahoo: .
Your post brought back memories of when I used to go to watch drag racing in the UK in the 70's. Santa Pod Raceway was the only permanent strip in the UK at the time (and still is!) and then temporary strips were built, mainly on old airfields, for the odd weekend meeting. I have a few pictures of "Old School" funnycars racing in the UK from that period. Some were homegrown creations whilst others had been imported from the States. I apologise for the quality of the photos, but equipment and technique have improved since the 70's.
Santa Pod 1974_0062-1.JPG
Santa Pod 1974_0065-1.JPG
Santa Pod 1974_0066-1.JPG
Santa Pod 1974_0067a.jpg

Kae1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
I wish I still had some from back then!
... I know what you mean. To some extent it is not just the photo of the racing but the memories it brings back too.
I remember one time three of us went from Yorkshire to London (about 220 miles) on the Saturday, then went to the movies to see Woody Allen's "Sleeper" in London's West End, then slept in the car overnight before watching drag racing at Blackbushe Airport on the Sunday before returning home after the last run.
Here's a few more of the UK drag racing scene in the 70's (with apologies again for their quality).
img010.jpg
Santa Pod 1974_0062.JPG
Santa Pod 1974_0064-1.JPG
Santa Pod 1974_0063.JPG

D

Deleted member 29884

Action with some legends

2020-07-19 14.28.43 2.jpg
2020-07-19 14.45.37.jpg
2020-07-19 15.23.47 1.jpg
2020-07-19 15.30.42 2.jpg

Kae1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
My first meeting after lockdown was one of my annual favourites one of the Masters series this time at Donington Park. Whilst I was anxious about attending my first post lockdown meeting I needn't have been as the circuit owners had put in measures and people were being sensible :thumbsup: . In spite of it being overcast with a spot of rain my main problem was being there for nine hours and taking way too many pictures.
There were some F1 cars from the 70's and early 80's.
P1003110b.jpg
P1003321c.jpg
P1003399b.jpg
P1207605a.jpg

As well as some Le Mans cars from 2000's as well as the 60's
P1229791b.jpg
P1229990a.jpg

.. plus a mixture of 60's/70's sports cars
P1196903a.jpg

Plus some late 50's /early 60's single seaters. It had just started to rain and the guy in the Cooper was indicating that its raining, whilst the guy in the Brabham already knew (as he'd just been off the circuit for a quick change to grass tyres ;)).
P1218558a.jpg

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik

Kae1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Nice pictures @Kae1
How do you get on with the G90 ?
Thanks Rob.

This was the first time I'd used the G90 but I like it a lot. I had a G80 before but, John Lewis seemed to be giving the G90 away so, I traded in/up!

The combined weight of the camera, lens and grip are critical for me plus I've not been able to get the hang of using a monopod as a work round. So bearing that in mind, I like the balance and weight of the G90 (plus grip and 100-400) and find it easier to handle than my G9 (plus grip plus 100-400). The CAF isn't as good as the G9, but it works. Don't know whether its because of the eye sensor placement of the EVF, but the G90/G80 EVF also works better for me than the G9 EVF - I think it may be because I am not always able to lift the G9 as high as it needs to go. As regards IQ I've not yet had a real chance to compare the two, but initial feeling is there's not that much difference on my monitor.

I put my Olympus 75-300 on the G9, as a lighter weight option, for when I start to tire (poor thing), but the Panasonic body doesn't like the Olympus lens for CAF. Initially I thought there was a problem with the camera as the frame rate was considerably slower but putting the 100-400 back showed there wasn't an issue with the body. Consequently, I even experimented with single shot and manual focus too for quite a few pictures with the G9 and 75-300.

Now the season has started, subject to second spike, I need to get some more experience with what I've got. I'm sure there is a mix and match of equipment and settings which will suit me ?.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
55DD9AAE-89B0-4A8B-9E9F-F4587FC4DAA3.jpeg
45EC2B84-EF24-497C-BD17-E6E87D5924CA.jpeg
B28E3A5C-8D07-49D3-B6F4-235D1D9ADD7F.jpeg
4955B0FA-ABEF-4BDE-8EC7-B1828B2518FB.jpeg
911CFAFF-00AB-489A-B9FE-7E74DFD1A62E.jpeg
AEAED432-4429-43ED-A2C5-5F7C7539C302.jpeg
553CCB60-F5BB-4463-90C0-0F2AB10ABF8E.jpeg

Latest threads

Top Bottom