MOTORSPORTS Thread - Post Your Fast Paced Action Here

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Have you never seen Speedway?
One of the most exciting of all motorsports.
Check out your compatriot Jason Crump: 3 time world champion.

At my age I remember his father Phil racing over here in the UK in the '70's. :whistling:

And yes they do......sort of. :D

Not for a very long time. I seem to remember when I was very young going to a sort of local speedway at Liverpool, Sydney where they raced I think what they called "Funny Cars" or something ?. But those tracks were closed many years ago.

But that was back in the dream time.

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Had an enjoyable day, in spite of the rain in the afternoon, at Donington Park on Saturday to watch BSB qualifying plus several support races. Experimenting more with slower shutter speeds, shooting through fencing, shooting in the rain and using a monopod. Whilst I've still lots to learn I'm enjoying the challenges. Had a good chat with a chap with an EM1x who gave me a few tips on shooting through the fencing too. Here's a few from the day.
P8148858.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P8140832a.jpg
P8141615a.jpg
P8146915a.jpg
P8147279a.jpg
P8147611a.jpg

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I rarely venture into this thread, but wow, some great action shots.

Unfortunately whilst at Thruxton circuit yesterday I received news that my stepson #36 #361 Ryan Whitehall had crashed at very high speed from 2nd place in a race at the Armoy Road Races in Northern Ireland having started from pole position
He sustained serious leg and ankle injuries and awaits an initial operation in a hospital in N.I.
As many here who follow this thread will know Ryan was the subject of many of my photos
Sad day for the family

I was sorry to read this Rob. I hope your stepson is recovering well.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
I rarely venture into this thread, but wow, some great action shots.

I was sorry to read this Rob. I hope your stepson is recovering well.
Thanks @PeeBee, @Panolyman and @Kae1
Ryan landed badly over a jump in a road race at Armoy in NI travelling at 100mph +
He was immediately thrown off and due to it being a road race (rather than at a circuit) there was no run off
He only travelled a short distance before hitting the bank at the side of the road feet first
He spiral fractured tibia and fibula on his right leg and smashed that ankle and has a complex fracture of his left ankle
He has has two operations which we assume have been as successful as they can be and he has a cage on his right leg and full cast on his left ankle
He will have a long recovery and we won’t know for quite a while what level of mobility he will get back particularly in his left ankle which is severely shattered
He is determined to go racing again and this determination will motivate him to do his rehab and exercises but it remains to be seen whether he will be able to ride competitively again ?
He is still in a hospital in N.I awaiting his return home in the next few days 👍

Arundo Donax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just a bit too much wheel spin.
Chilliwack, B.C.

P8152426 (2).JPG

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Regular
Nice one Kae - I had a small practise session with a monopod (of sorts - a 3-legged thing VYV monopod) and it shows that either a: I need a ton more practise. b:I need a different monopod. c:I need pointers in technique/troubleshooting then d:lots more practise.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Nice one Kae - I had a small practise session with a monopod (of sorts - a 3-legged thing VYV monopod) and it shows that either a: I need a ton more practise. b:I need a different monopod. c:I need pointers in technique/troubleshooting then d:lots more practise.
I tried a monopod a couple of times but struggled to use it for following / panning so reverted to handholding
However I’ve just bought a 2.0 TC for my Fuji 100-400 giving equivalent 1200mm reach - I don’t hold out much hope for good results handheld with that so will probably try the monopod again with that at MotoGP in two weeks time

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
66868B4A-D0FA-4C16-8598-43B2A035B029.jpeg
B455931D-8EDA-41F7-BA9C-447C2DF01DFF.jpeg

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Have turned back time and traded my adapted Canon 70-200 for a "well used" Olympus 40-150 2.8 and thought I'd see how well it worked. I went to Croft where the annual "Battle of Britain" meeting is unique (as far as I know) in having bikes, sidecars and cars race at the same weekend. However, sometimes it's a bit like "Goldilocks' Three Bears" you have the wrong equipment with you and are shooting at the wrong exposure setting when "something" happens. :doh:

"Could have done with my 400mm!"
P8222525.JPG
P8222408.JPG

Then should've used a faster shutter speed
P8221284.JPG
P8221285.JPG
P8221286.JPG

.... and what he was trying to do with my "just right" settings ;)
P8221016.JPG

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Regular
I think the wider zoom shows the normal motion - I reckon keepers (for the bouncy-cars)

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
As I mentioned above I loved the variety of races at the Croft "BoB" meeting and even though it is only a "club" event there was plenty for me to give the Olympus 40-150 f2.8 a try out. Gave it a good test using a wide variety of shutter speeds and it's nice not having to manual focus, as I had to with my adapted Canon. For panning it was "just the job" and even the "full frontals" can be cropped. Pleased with it so far. 🤞
P8220338.JPG
P8220086.JPG
P8220696a.jpg
P8220942.JPG
P8220854.JPG
P8221271.JPG
P8221675.JPG

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Had a trip to my favourite nostalgia meeting of the year. The Gold Cup at Oulton Park, which was where I saw my first F1 race in 1968 so holds a lot of memories for me. The entry is not as good as other historic meetings at other circuits but Oulton Park has not changed much since the 60's so it was like stepping back in time. Took too many photos and tried some 1960's exposure settings too with mixed results although having said that much improved on my 1960's Halina.
P8281592.JPG
P1436304.JPG
P8280531.JPG
P8283413a.jpg
P1446661.JPG

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
So had a family glamping and camping holiday over the past couple of weeks in Oxfordshire and Northamptonshire which included 3 days for me at MotoGP Silverstone
Struggled as usual with the limitations of the track layout including large F1 induced run off areas and high safety fencing
As a result I spent a lot of time walking around the track trying to find sections where I could effectively shoot through the fencing (where I had not shot before for some variety)
The whole infield was closed to all spectators due to restrictions caused by the COVID situation apparently
Ticket sales were apparently a sell out due partly no doubt to the imminent retirement of Valentino Rossi - restricted to 67,000 apparently despite F1 being sold to well over 100,000 ?
(Something amiss with fair play here me thinks and shows how ultimately as usual money and influence matter over other considerations)
Mixed results due to very overcast skies on Friday (FP1 and FP2) which increased ISO values and/or restricted shutter speeds the safety fencing also beiping a source of IQ limitations with reduced sharpness and contrast - many failed shots that day :( Included Outside of Club Corner adjacent to the Club Grandstands
Slightly better results on Saturday FP3 FP4 Q1 and Q2
Found a spot at Aintree Corner at the entry to Wellington Straight which worked quite well for some shots but still a low keeper rate and still hampered by shooting through fencing with low and variable light levels due to on off overcast skies - although this did help on occasion to optimise shutter speeds for panning
The highlight of the two days was capturing a superb sequence of shots of #46 Valentino Rossi pulling a wheel out of one of my more usual viewpoints coming out of Stowe Corner
I had tried to get great shots of Rossi doing this over several years but had always either missed the opportunity or had the wrong (panning settings on the camera)
As this was the last time I would get the opportunity to capture Rossi and it being a priority to get it right this time I made sure my camera was correctly set at the end of one of the qualifying sessions and did indeed capture a great sequence of images
I was very pleased with these results as I’d tried and missed or failed on so many occasions - capturing only mediocre examples previously !
It was fair to say that this was the highlight of my weekend at MotoGP :dance4::dance4::dance4:
Please see Images on next pages

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
As mentioned on my previous post - the highlight of my weekend at MotoGP Silverstone - capturing a superb sequence of the soon to be retiring #46 Valentino Rossi who has often tried to please the crowd with a wheely after practice / qualifying sessions
This was my favourite shot from the sequence as it was a 3/4 view with Valentino facing slightly towards my camera
Was very pleased with these :dance4:
X-T4 XF100-400mm f4.5 - 5.6 R LM OIS WR @312mm f/5.6 1/450s ISO 200
Basic editing from jpeg on PS for iPad
76F40C85-ABD7-4172-A1B5-7C4C7AFB9A18.jpeg

Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
A good example of everything coming together despite shooting through safety fencing at Silverstone MotoGP at the weekend
This was through fencing at Aintree corner at the entry onto Wellington Straight - very sharp subject with nice blurred background and wheels - if only all my shots of the weekend turned out this well - lots of failures and a low keeper rate.
Very pleased with this one
X-T4 XF100-400mm f4.5 - 5.6 R LM OIS WR @291mm f/5.2 1/340s ISO 160
Basic editing from jpeg on PS for iPad
1D737E84-47DC-4959-9E92-714927517D3C.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom