MOTORSPORTS Thread - Post Your Fast Paced Action Here

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
B7960F89-CE77-4927-A29A-C3A8491D19A2.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
And how do you (personally) find the delay from the M1X to the G9 to the XT4 to the (I think you have used) the G85 - that lag that I see (through the G85 display) when following cars/panning.

I used to have a G80 and upgraded it to a G90, and have used a G9 but changed that to an EM1 ii. I now always take two* bodies i.e. the G90 and the EM1 ii when attending a meeting (*mainly so I don't have to change lenses plus have had sticking shutter issues on both my original EM1 & a Canon 7d so am now a bit wary of a camera packing up).

I therefore often compare the "shooting experience" of the two. I much prefer the EM1 ii in that I get better results when panning but I put this down to the faster burst speed and better AFC rather than the EVF delay. I don't find the EVF of mirrorless cameras as easy to use as the optical one of a DSLR but put up with the "limitations" for the other numerous benefits :thumbsup:. I liked the G9 but couldn't get on with the eye sensor of the EVF which is a me problem and not the camera's fault.

In an ideal world I would get another EM1 ii to use as a second body for motorsports, now that they are available cheaper, but I like the handling of the G90 (and G80 before that) for non-motorsport photography (where burst rate and focusing speed is not so critical) and wouldn't want to give the Panasonic up.

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Veteran
My personal experience with the G85 is the lag time behind whatever vehicle at 200+kmh - it is noticeable, (or the car is slower but it is much much closer), and I imagined (hoped?) that the lag between viewfinder screen and the car/bike/boat in front of the lens is much less with the newer and varied models.

It is critically so when panning with items/trees/people between myself and the object - shutter release.

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
My personal experience with the G85 is the lag time behind whatever vehicle at 200+kmh - it is noticeable, (or the car is slower but it is much much closer), and I imagined (hoped?) that the lag between viewfinder screen and the car/bike/boat in front of the lens is much less with the newer and varied models.

I don't know whether you've looked at https://www.imaging-resource.com/ but on their camera reviews they include a lab performance review which includes "Time from fully pressing shutter button to image capture, with the lens already at the proper focal distance setting". Comparable times for AFS are 0.197 (g85), 0.140 (G95), 0.108(EM1ii) and 0.087 (EM1x). Hope this helps.

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Had a trip to Cadwell Park this weekend to watch a wide variety of bikes in the NG Road Racing series. Due to the Covid restrictions there isn't spectator access to the full circuit but I'm still finding new places to photograph anyway. These photos are in "walking anti-clockwise around the circuit" order . Whilst it was too hot for me, it was very enjoyable nevertheless.
P7170230.JPG
P7171396b.jpg
P7171840a.jpg
P7172143.JPG
P7173058.JPG
P7173171.JPG
P1366314.JPG

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Veteran
Cheers for the shutter info - the EM1x rules that roost.
I am referring not the the shutter lag, but the time delay it takes to get from lens front, to sensor, to translated then re-translated back into the display in the view finder.
Whether that is a display refresh issue that I am running into, I don't know, but it is definitely much slower and pans are not that flash unless I use both eyes open.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
There’s been a bit of a reprieve for my local Speedway
Having withdrawn from the National League the organisers have nevertheless managed to schedule some events for this season beginning yesterday - great news and I still have access to all areas for shooting :dance3:
2A76FE67-C916-4994-9D5D-08686F1ED8D5.jpeg

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
5005D087-5D51-49CE-B9A3-A2042A71E328.jpeg
64883D54-7BE4-412B-91C1-4DF8DADF4962.jpeg
908E3980-FD83-4132-9B10-7A1CF0CB2A66.jpeg
05F28DAE-1409-4339-9716-D8168807EA76.jpeg
0A56FE23-C201-4C46-B6D2-12CC8CEBA64B.jpeg

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Having withdrawn from the National League the organisers have nevertheless managed to schedule some events for this season beginning yesterday - great news and I still have access to all areas for shooting :dance3:

Good news Rob - hope there was a reasonable crowd and that future events can continue 🤞

Great action shots - Brilliant 🏆

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Good news Rob - hope there was a reasonable crowd and that future events can continue 🤞

Great action shots - Brilliant 🏆
Thanks Ken @Kae1
We are lucky here on the I.W.
We have two of the most enthusiastic and determined promotors you could ever hope for
They have previously received awards and travel for several hours to each event and also organise a beginners / training facility
The promoters are lucky to have a great following from enthusiasts and volunteers who help maintain the venue provide marshalling and safety
The fb page for the supporters group is open for anyone to join should anyone be interested
https://www.facebook.com/groups/294612857236337/?ref=share
Having something like this locally on our Island is something I really appreciate and of course it provides a regular event for my photography too

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
The fb page for the supporters group is open for anyone to join should anyone be interested
https://www.facebook.com/groups/294612857236337/?ref=share
Hi Rob. Just had a chance to view the FB page and see how busy you'd been - well done! :thumbsup: It's great that there were also different classes of races too (including kid's running races) and looking at the fixture list there's quite a variety coming up too. You'll have plenty to photograph in the coming weeks - bet you can't wait!

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
Had a trip to Cadwell Park this weekend to watch a wide variety of bikes in the NG Road Racing series. Due to the Covid restrictions there isn't spectator access to the full circuit but I'm still finding new places to photograph anyway. These photos are in "walking anti-clockwise around the circuit" order . Whilst it was too hot for me, it was very enjoyable nevertheless.
View attachment 899369 View attachment 899370
It looks like @Robstar1963 has finally a decent contender in "his" thread :-D

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
Rob, I thought that you sold your m4/3 and Fuji equipment in favour of Nikon FF? Or not?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom