MOTORSPORTS Thread - Post Your Fast Paced Action Here

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Well, we just received news that Milan Dragway has closed. Not due to COVID, but due to a default on a loan. It seems the back of the property (which includes the shut-down area) was used as collateral. No shut-down area, no racing. There are court cases, the next hearing is the 9th of April to determine if it will go into receivership or if the owners will be able to sell on their own. There is evidently a buyer that has been approved by the court and the NHRA. I have also heard that a group of local drivers are trying to buy it. One court document I saw had 29 people listed as plaintiffs and/or defendants.

For my part, I am hoping not only that it reopens but that the new owners will recognize the established photographers and issue our media passes. As one of the newest of those who get linked to their home page, I am kind of at a disadvantage. If I can't get down next to the track there's no point in going.

Found out the same day that the Thunder Over Michigan air show was cancelled again, this one is due to COVID. Drag racing and Air shows are the only planned events I look forward to each season.

It was a crappy day.

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
Very sad news. I grew up at Onadaga, Milan and Martin raceways (from Albion) in the 60's and 70's with both of my parents racing and really enjoyed meeting the big names of the time and a great family atmosphere.

I no longer live in Michigan, but hope they can get it reopened so others can enjoy it as I did in my youth...

Mark

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Very sad news. I grew up at Onadaga, Milan and Martin raceways (from Albion) in the 60's and 70's with both of my parents racing and really enjoyed meeting the big names of the time and a great family atmosphere.

I no longer live in Michigan, but hope they can get it reopened so others can enjoy it as I did in my youth...

Mark
To not have a drag strip in SE Michigan, the home of so many greats and the heart of the auto industry, is unimaginable.

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Regular
Bugger - sorry to hear. Perversely/conversely motorsport is basically "all systems are go" down here in Australia - it is more my paying day-job/lively-hood that (mostly at the moment) prevents me from going to different events. (within a 2 hour drive)

Are there any off-road/motorcycle track places for you to visit?
edit- golly. Lots of tracks of different things..

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Bugger - sorry to hear. Perversely/conversely motorsport is basically "all systems are go" down here in Australia - it is more my paying day-job/lively-hood that (mostly at the moment) prevents me from going to different events. (within a 2 hour drive)

Are there any off-road/motorcycle track places for you to visit?
edit- golly. Lots of tracks of different things..
Yes, there's a motocross track. I spoke with the person who runs/organizes it last year and suffice to say he's a jerk. He was more interested in puffing his chest out than having quality photos. I don't need the hassle.

There are a few other drag strips a couple hours from me. One has camping, so I could drag my RV and make it a weekend. I am contacting them to see if they will provide a media pass. There is also a combination dirt flat track/figure 8 about 20 minutes from me. I am going to contact them as well. I may go to that one even if they won't grant a pass just to see if I can get anything decent.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
HAH! Maybe all is not lost. I emailed the Great Lakes Gassers, a racing club that specializes in Pre-1966 gasoline and alcohol engines to find out where they'd be racing with Milan closed.

http://www.greatlakesgassers.com/home.html

His response was:

Tim
Don't be surprised if Milan Dragway is sold this week and reopens in May or June.

Hoping this is true. These are a few of the Great Lakes Gassers members from last year:

50389156288_48fd1227cc_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1050258 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

50155551302_fa5f2720d4_b.jpg
P1048523 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

50391745701_9a39b75f98_b.jpg
P1050326 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Well, we just received news that Milan Dragway has closed. Not due to COVID, but due to a default on a loan. It seems the back of the property (which includes the shut-down area) was used as collateral. No shut-down area, no racing. There are court cases, the next hearing is the 9th of April to determine if it will go into receivership or if the owners will be able to sell on their own. There is evidently a buyer that has been approved by the court and the NHRA. I have also heard that a group of local drivers are trying to buy it. One court document I saw had 29 people listed as plaintiffs and/or defendants.

For my part, I am hoping not only that it reopens but that the new owners will recognize the established photographers and issue our media passes. As one of the newest of those who get linked to their home page, I am kind of at a disadvantage. If I can't get down next to the track there's no point in going.

Found out the same day that the Thunder Over Michigan air show was cancelled again, this one is due to COVID. Drag racing and Air shows are the only planned events I look forward to each season.

It was a crappy day.
That’s a shame @Brownie - I know how this feels having lost the local speedway league recently - my regular weekly event during late spring / summer. The organisers are nevertheless hoping to stage some events during the summer so hopefully all is not lost
Hopefully something will similarly rise from the ashes for you 🤞

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Trying out some processing on PS for iPad to enhance the colours
D1810028-77E0-4A35-965D-E5173559D70F.jpeg

Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
I particularly like the improvement on this one (shot at dusk)
2523CA76-D383-47F6-B9A4-B7D213CACCD2.jpeg

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ken
HAH! Maybe all is not lost.
Hopefully this is correct and something works out for you. 🤞

In the UK motorsport has restarted but behind closed doors. I was looking forward to the 17th April when it was suggested that spectators were going to be allowed back in, although it was announced yesterday that the earliest is now going to be 17th May.

The only thing that has kept me sane over lockdown/winter was processing my 2020 images. My processing skills keep improving and, whilst I use Elements, I can thoroughly recommend Topaz DeNoise AI too as it cleans up the image brilliantly. I've also just bought Topaz Sharpen AI as well but it takes a bit too long to process on my PC.

I am only viewing the images on my screen but to give you an idea what the software is doing for me I'd like to show a before and after.

Before
P1126434.JPG

After
P1126434a.jpg

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ken
Is that DeNoise or Sharpen you are using?
At what point in your processing are you using it?
I think I used both on this one, as the original image wasn't very good and I wanted to see what could be done. However, I've discovered that DeNoise is perfect for 95% of my images as you can adjust both the amount of noise and sharpening to use. Sharpen was slow until yesterday's update but is much quicker now.

I've been using DeNoise as the last step in my processing depending on how much noise I've introduced in recovering shadows. Topaz do a free month's trial and now & again have discounts plus there are various 15% off coupons too - I highly recommend :thumbsup:

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Regular
Hmm. I tried Sharpen and I didn't like it. Was introducing 'wrongness' to my images.. but thanks - I will see if I can try denoise :)

Were you using it on a jpg file or a tif file?

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ken
Were you using it on a jpg file or a tif file?

All have been on JPEG files as I've only discovered RAW this year. :doh: IMO DeNoise "cleans" up the image and the colours and also allows you to add as much sharpening as you want to show. I know what you mean about Sharpen as I've only had it a week or so (as it was on discount), but I think it might be useful for "spot" sharpening (using the Mask).

TBH now that I'm getting the hang of DeNoise I'm in two minds whether to try RAW files for motorsports, but having said that I only view on my PC's monitor.

I know for certain that these are before and after processing with Elements then DeNoise.
P1183090.JPG
P1183090a.jpg

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Regular
I use raw and jpg. Depending on the image I will use the jpg. Sometimes the raw is used for bringing back highlights that are not recoverable in JPG, or for changing white-balance values

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom