MOTORSPORTS Thread - Post Your Fast Paced Action Here

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Theyve announced that spectatores will not be allowed at a Donington for the opening round of the BTCC after all as the government have designated BTCC as an ‘Elite’ sport which falls into a category whereby spectators are not permitted.
Really hoping that they won’t designate BSB in a similar manner !
Yes it's so disappointing. Unfortunately they've also taken Donington BSB tickets for next week "temporarily" off sale too - I suppose they are trying to establish with the government whether it is "Elite" or not. I know it is elite (Oxford dictionary definition - "a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society") but think that about most racers! Here's hoping that the government think it isn't! 🤞

Last edited:

Mike.K

Mu-43 Regular
Wonder if my local round at Croft will still fall under the same restrictions in October.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Where do you shoot as the track photographer? Wouldn't that qualify you as an employee and make you exempt from the spectator rule?
Hi Brownie
Im only one of the ‘track’ photographers at my local speedway league and more recently at a local motocross track
The speedway league has been cancelled for this year so no speedway events at all 😥
The motocross has been suspended since the last event on 18/07/20 pending complaints from ‘local’ nimby’s about noise even though the track is a long way from any houses and all bikes having been noise tested to rigorous national guidelines 😥
All the other events I go to are merely as a spectator shooting from wherever I can get a good vantage point which are fewer and farther between as tracks put more safety fencing and other measures in place as the years go by 😥
The BSB (British Superbike championship) and the BTCC were a couple of series where ticket sales had been permitted for upcoming events
Unfortunately our prime minister announced yesterday that pilot events who had been given permission to run with limited spectators would now not be permitted to do so due to an increase in the rate of infection over here with a review in two weeks It looks like all events that I would normally go to will now be cancelled for spectators 😥
I had held off buying any tickets myself as committing to any of these events would also involve booking a ferry from the Isle of Wight which would be non refundable in order to make it more affordable so couldn’t do one without the other and considerable loss if events were cancelled
The British F1 Grand Prix is taking place this weekend without spectators and will next week host the 70th Anniversary F1 Grand Prix in the same vein
Feeling bored and sad (but not critical of measures being put in place) I need to find another use for my equipment 🤔🤔🤔
Unfortunately nothing else ‘floats my boat‘ quite like Motorsports 🙃

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
Hi Brownie
Im only one of the ‘track’ photographers at my local speedway league and more recently at a local motocross track
The speedway league has been cancelled for this year so no speedway events at all 😥
The motocross has been suspended since the last event on 18/07/20 pending complaints from ‘local’ nimby’s about noise even though the track is a long way from any houses and all bikes having been noise tested to rigorous national guidelines 😥
All the other events I go to are merely as a spectator shooting from wherever I can get a good vantage point which are fewer and farther between as tracks put more safety fencing and other measures in place as the years go by 😥
The BSB (British Superbike championship) and the BTCC were a couple of series where ticket sales had been permitted for upcoming events
Unfortunately our prime minister announced yesterday that pilot events who had been given permission to run with limited spectators would now not be permitted to do so due to an increase in the rate of infection over here with a review in two weeks It looks like all events that I would normally go to will now be cancelled for spectators 😥
I had held off buying any tickets myself as committing to any of these events would also involve booking a ferry from the Isle of Wight which would be non refundable in order to make it more affordable so couldn’t do one without the other and considerable loss if events were cancelled
The British F1 Grand Prix is taking place this weekend without spectators and will next week host the 70th Anniversary F1 Grand Prix in the same vein
Feeling bored and sad (but not critical of measures being put in place) I need to find another use for my equipment 🤔🤔🤔
Unfortunately nothing else ‘floats my boat‘ quite like Motorsports 🙃
Well, there are plenty of actual boats around your lovely little island Rob.
Apart from powerboats I don't suppose there's anything as exciting as the Speedway though.
I used to watch Ellesmere Port Gunners in the mid - 70's.
My first visit was an exhibition meeting with Ivan Mauger's Gold Plated bike on show.
I thought I'd take some photos and was delighted to find one corner of the track empty.
I got myself into position and pointed the camera ready for action as the bikes came past.
Yeah, you guessed it, I got covered in shale and was the laughing stock of the crowd.
Hopefully you'll be back enjoying the small of the Ethanol again (that's if it's still used?)

Mattie

Mu-43 Regular
Local Hill Climb still going ahead.

Oly E-M1 ii
Pani 12-60 mm

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
I am lucky enough to have the option to visit three open circuits within two hours of where I live. This time was Oulton Park for the British GT/F3 round which thankfully isn't regarded as "elite". Whilst I went on qualifying day, three separate sessions gave me plenty of opportunity to walk around the track and apart from the paddock everywhere was open as normal with good Covid procedures in place again. As you can get nearer to the track I took my "poor man's 40-150 f2.8" with me, which is a Canon 70-200 f4 with a Viltrox EF-M2 although it only works well with manual focus.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)

Last edited:

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Regular
I am lucky enough to have the option to visit three open circuits within two hours of where I live. This time was Oulton Park for the British GT/F3 round which thankfully isn't regarded as "elite". Whilst I went on qualifying day, three separate sessions gave me plenty of opportunity to walk around the track and apart from the paddock everywhere was open as normal with good Covid procedures in place again. As you can get nearer to the track I took my "poor man's 40-150 f2.8" with me, which is a Canon 70-200 f4 with a Viltrox EF-M2 although it only works well with manual focus.
View attachment 839162
"poor man's" he says - I would love some quality glass longer than 150mm, even if manual focus (actually, I may prefer it as manual focus - I take a decent chunk of images as manual focus with M settings. )

Nice. :)

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
I was lucky enough to have a return trip to Cadwell Park this week to watch my first bike meeting of the condensed year. I loved seeing the variety of bikes from two strokes to superbikes plus a bonus of a round of the British Sidecars. There were more spectators than I was expecting, perhaps because of the sidecars, but everyone was being sensible. Favourite locations were out of bounds and potential spots were busy so I tried to make the best of where I could stand and stick with my longest lens.

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Regular
Lovin' it Kae. How are you finding your processing? I think it is really good. :)

Speaking of processing, Here is a bit of an image, mostly done in Silkypix on the Raw file, of a bit of action from July. 1/25 shutter.

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Lovin' it Kae. How are you finding your processing?
Thanks for the kind comment. As you can see I'm making the most of Motorsports while we're still able to.

I've got into a routine now, where I take too many photos, then delete 85/90% by viewing the card on the PC, import the rest onto my hard drive, and do a bit of post processing in Elements for my favourites. Apart from minor exposure tweaks I've discovered that the cropping process and experimenting with angles can improve the image and get something different!

Here is a bit of an image, mostly done in Silkypix on the Raw file, of a bit of action from July. 1/25 shutter.
Glad to see that you've got some Motorsports going too. Love the photo and very impressed with your ability at 150mm and 1/25!

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Regular
Oh.. Thank you.
I am trying/pushing to go down to the 1/3 sort of area and get consistent results ( by consistent, I mean with at least 50% keepers or at least 1 or two images per burst). About 1/8 is all I am able to often.
get so far >_<
We are very fortunate here in Western Australia- all sorts of local events around Perth (by local, I mean within 3 hours drive) that have occurred since COVID19, I have been to three so far, with hopefully another this weekend (motorcycles), and that excludes the events that I have not had a chance to go to or are on at the same time/day :) Quite lucky.

Edit- Call me crazy if you wish- when I transfer/check the files, I basically delete just the obviously crappy ones.
There are some where I look at the image and go Hmmmm that has some promise to it - promise not in terms of recording of the image/race/event, but potentially for later one when I am able to work on, for lack of a better working ' working on the emotion' of that image, if that makes sense.

I have also kept older images that completely or near-missed it/muffed the shot, as reference so I can see what worked, what was right, was the shutter right, did I pan too fast/too slow. Was my ISO right etcetcetc. (was my colour balance good, - this one I have also been working on a lot more, with the RW2 files.

Last edited:

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Back to Oulton Park, my joint favourite track, to watch some more bikes. No real need for superzooms here and a full day of racing too. Meetings are getting busier but still plenty of space for socially isolating.

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Oulton Park is one of the few tracks where you can stand opposite the pits/grid without catch fencing or grandstands. The meeting also had a three hour endurance race which, in stead of a normal grid, uses a "Le Mans" type start. This was my first time ever of seeing this type of start and I was well impressed!

P1092918.JPG
P1092937.JPG
P1092947.JPG
P1092949.JPG
P1092951.JPG

Arundo Donax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Oulton Park is one of the few tracks where you can stand opposite the pits/grid without catch fencing or grandstands. The meeting also had a three hour endurance race which, in stead of a normal grid, uses a "Le Mans" type start. This was my first time ever of seeing this type of start and I was well impressed!
I met Katherine Legge a few years ago, and I asked her which circuit is her favourite one to drive, and she said Oulton Park. And she has raced all over the world!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom