MOTORSPORTS Thread - Post Your Fast Paced Action Here

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Hopefully, my last post of edited 2019 race meetings 🤞
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A couple from last year's British GT race at Donington Park.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Finally! After a tortuous amount of waiting and some in-between asking (begging?), they've gotten around to issuing our media passes for the 2020 drag racing season. Right now it's still in the form of an email from the track, but it works the same. They're racing every weekend and fans have been allowed since the second Monday in June. The first event I plan to attend will be the 11th Detroit Dragway Reunion on July 25th. A lot of racing including the one of the larger meets Called 'Kickin' it Old School' have been cancelled due to the shorter season.

_0008a by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

WT21

Super Moderator
Finally! After a tortuous amount of waiting and some in-between asking (begging?), they've gotten around to issuing our media passes for the 2020 drag racing season. Right now it's still in the form of an email from the track, but it works the same. They're racing every weekend and fans have been allowed since the second Monday in June. The first event I plan to attend will be the 11th Detroit Dragway Reunion on July 25th. A lot of racing including the one of the larger meets Called 'Kickin' it Old School' have been cancelled due to the shorter season.

View attachment 833931_0008a by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr
I don’t know much about drag racing, but those look like really basic (though I am sure high HP) engines? Do I see a distributor cap and a naturally aspirated engine? Or is that the ‘kickin’ it old school” race?

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)

View attachment 833931_0008a by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr
Looking forward to seeing some pictures 👍👍👍

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I don’t know much about drag racing, but those look like really basic (though I am sure high HP) engines? Do I see a distributor cap and a naturally aspirated engine? Or is that the ‘kickin’ it old school” race?
It's considered old school, but that is an alcohol (methanol) burning engine with a blower (supercharger). Alcohol engines can make up to 4,000 horsepower. That one is a slingshot rail (old school) that will do about 225 MPH in a 6 second 1/4 mile. Not a distributor cap, all electronic.

The newer Top Alcohol engines can get speeds up to 275-300 MPH and go from 0-100 in 1 second. They still run Alcohol cars but of newer design. Top Alcohol comes in just under Top Fuel, which burn Nitromethane and can generate up to 10,000 HP.

There are many classes that require regular gas (gasser class, for one) and simplified motors. If you poked around in the Flickr album you saw some, which what I'm assuming your post is based on. Most people think of drag racing as the fastest, which is inaccurate. It comes down to the quickest, not the fastest. In bracket racing you set a low elapsed time during time trials, and if you fall below that during the elimination rounds it's called a 'breakout' (you broke out of your division) and amounts to disqualification.

Last edited:

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
It's great that racing is starting to resume :yahoo: .
Your post brought back memories of when I used to go to watch drag racing in the UK in the 70's. Santa Pod Raceway was the only permanent strip in the UK at the time (and still is!) and then temporary strips were built, mainly on old airfields, for the odd weekend meeting. I have a few pictures of "Old School" funnycars racing in the UK from that period. Some were homegrown creations whilst others had been imported from the States. I apologise for the quality of the photos, but equipment and technique have improved since the 70's.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
It's great that racing is starting to resume :yahoo: .
Your post brought back memories of when I used to go to watch drag racing in the UK in the 70's. Santa Pod Raceway was the only permanent strip in the UK at the time (and still is!) and then temporary strips were built, mainly on old airfields, for the odd weekend meeting. I have a few pictures of "Old School" funnycars racing in the UK from that period. Some were homegrown creations whilst others had been imported from the States. I apologise for the quality of the photos, but equipment and technique have improved since the 70's.View attachment 834109View attachment 834110View attachment 834111View attachment 834112
I saw Don Schummacher's 'Stardust' run several times. Nice shots, I wish I still had some from back then!

Modern Funny Cars all look the same nowadays. A wedge shaped body with a bubble on top. Yes, they're loud and fast, but the old school cars are a lot more fun. I also prefer the slingshot, T-Bucket, and roadster based dragsters over the rear engine, but can watch the newer ones with more interest that the new funny cars.

Here's an original Dragmaster. This chassis was well known and sought after and is indicative of a very early car that was made specifically for drag racing. It is the predecessor to the slingshot rail.

Old School_0025a by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
One more. This car is typical of what they used to call the 'roadster class'. Most were street hot rods that kids built up and drove, then raced on weekends. Standard engines with carburetor mods, manifolds, cams, intake systems etc.

This particular one is an in-line 6 cylinder! He does pretty well for himself in brackets. Look at it lift that wheel! This is the very last Logghe Brothers chassis ever produced.

48442301547_5541c6aaea_b.jpg Old Sch_0029d by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Last edited:

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
I wish I still had some from back then!
... I know what you mean. To some extent it is not just the photo of the racing but the memories it brings back too.
I remember one time three of us went from Yorkshire to London (about 220 miles) on the Saturday, then went to the movies to see Woody Allen's "Sleeper" in London's West End, then slept in the car overnight before watching drag racing at Blackbushe Airport on the Sunday before returning home after the last run.
Here's a few more of the UK drag racing scene in the 70's (with apologies again for their quality).

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Quit apologizing for quality! Those are fun shots. The best I can muster from back then are some very poor photos out of a 126 Kodak at Autorama.

Here's a fun one from last year. It is the original Russo and Santos '41 Willys that held the NHRA record in '67-'68. They continue to race in Gasser class.

48810436162_9242104753_b.jpg P1026255 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Regular
a few small images (reduced to 800wide) for my facebook account - Rally Season is upon us (here in W.A ;) )
A few shots from scrutineering - another side of motorsport....but not so fast paced action-wise. :) (welllll, are are two 'pan' images in here at least. :D )
And a positive thing is that we were overall keeping our separation happening owing to WA being (nearly) COVID19 free.
Still no spectators able to appear for the event itself, though.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom