Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Finished editing a couple more meetings, and have concentrated on the ones where I used the Olympus 75-300mm. I think I've learned that shutter speed and tracking before release are critical and that whilst 300mm doesn't give the best IQ, even in my hands, it is possible to produce some acceptable images. The weakest links in my equipment were probably the AFC on my EM1 and G80 but manual focus got round that. So in summary I would give the lens an overall 8.5/10 for IQ and 10 for weight and can't wait for some racing to start again and try with my G9.

Here's a few from WSB at Donington and British GP at Silverstone mainly at 300mm but one at 300mm plus Panasonic ETC and one of Lewis with manual focus.

View attachment 828719View attachment 828720View attachment 828718View attachment 828723View attachment 828721View attachment 828722
Some great shots Kae1
I think you’ve got a particularly good example of the Olympus 75-300
I had a very good one a few years ago - I sold it and when I bought a second copy a couple of years later it was disappointing in comparison - I would keep hold of that one - they are known for sample variation

GRID

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nice shots Grid looks like you’ve been lucky enough to have some action recently - Scandinavia ? I must get to some drifting events one day !
Just practise and very few cars so far, there was about 10 cars on each event this sunday, but it was just a few hundred meters apart so i could cover them all :)

Davidof_CR

Mu-43 Veteran
First offroading after a long pause ...
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Hi @Davidof_CR
Some great shots there 👍
Wondering how you are finding the EM1/3 for CAF with Motorsports action like this ?
I have sold all of my previous bodies due to having no MSports to shoot (probably for the remainder of this year / season) and didn’t want to have them sitting around all year unused
I’ve ordered a GX9 for walk around in the meantime
I’ll be looking at buying something more capable for next season / year ( unless there is an irresistible offer in the meantime)
The EM1/3 will be on my shortlist but haven’t yet seen any Motorsports results prior to yours so intrigued
Regards
Rob
Edit and I see you’ve got a 10-25 - very nice - don’t think I’ll ever need that one but hell of a lens by all accounts ?

Davidof_CR

Mu-43 Veteran
I am always afraid to give any advice about gear, and especially for someone with such body of work like you.
But you asked and you must be aware how tricky such opinion are :)

So, I am still a bit like in a dream. It worked absolutely reliably. I simply focused at anything I pointed at.
It focused very quickly even in scenarios, when the subject was hidden behind a ridge/hill and appeared in the last moment. The first photo might have been off focus slightly, but the second and consequent were spot on.

The dust clouds did not matter, the AF worked perfectly even if the subject was hardly visible.

I used very simple settings - CAF 1 bigger point or five points, matrix 5x5 possible positions, Sensitivity +2 (with exception for panning) ... and that is it.

Sorry for being so enthusiastic but this years sessions - wild water and this offroad - are the same. Something changed (perhaps) and at least for these scenarios the CAF worked incredibly well.

This all has one drawback, I have to aim my attention to my own skills and creativity, and it is something one can not buy :)

P.S. I have never own either D500 nor any A9's, so I can not compare. So please take it as a stand-alone judgement :)

Davidof_CR

Mu-43 Veteran
English native speakers - how to formulate my P.S. sentence correctly ? :) Apart from "own" vs "owned" ?

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Regular
Strewth.. ya blokes know that there is 'nother form of Unglish roit? 'Strayan end Kuwi' :p

PS - nice images sirs both of you.
As an alternative, that good? version of the 75-300 of Olympus' looks more than acceptable as a replacement (until) I can afford that 300F4 or the upcoming 150-600! (or whatever the new PRO lens is from Olympus)

GRID

Mu-43 All-Pro
Some motocross practice from this weekend.

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Regular
A few from Saturday. 4 wheels this time.
P1050048.jpg
P3440589.jpg
P3440709.jpg
P3440819.jpg
P3450669.jpg
P3460386.jpg
P3460504.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom