MOTORSPORTS Thread - Post Your Fast Paced Action Here

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Hi
Has anyone with the G9 noticed an improvement with the focusing when shooting cars/motorbikes etc?
How do you find it works with 'black' bikes or 'white' bikes' (or cars or whatever); those two seem to have issues with focusing for me (personally) but then I am using a G85
I don't know whether I can help here, but I've got a Panasonic G80 and recently acquired a G9 mainly for motorsports. Unfortunately, I've only been able to use the G9 a couple of times last season, and had only used v2. My experience was I found that I was getting a greater number of shots in focus with the G9 than the G80, and also benefitted from the higher burst rate. Unfortunately, I don't have "hit-rate" evidence to support that as I've just discovered post processing and am spending lockdown editing last season!

Regarding your focusing issue with the G85 when photographing white or black bikes or cars, I've had a look through some of my photos from last year. As I mentioned I've started to cull a lot of images from "bursts" and only have one sequence with the G80 and a white car. Looking at the sequence, which are SOOC, the first image was (IMO) in focus, the second was OK, the next three have been deleted (so assume weren't in acceptable focus) but the last looks in focus too.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Admittedly these are all at high shutter speeds but do show how the CAF has worked.
I don't know whether this helps or not in your deliberations. In my view the G9 has better focusing but I actually prefer the size of the G80 and will keep them both.

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Regular
Nice. If/when I get another camera, I will definitely keep both. Even the GX9 too. :D

Btw, I can endorse most of the processing through Silkypix 8 SE. I would recommend that you use the ability to save edit profiles, and use those over groups, then fine-tune as needed. :)

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
For me the only good thing about lockdown is the ability to edit some of my past motorsport photos.
I was "inspired" to go back to 2017 when I watched the "Cock of the North" at Scarborough road racing circuit. Due to an accident the circuit was closed in 2018 and new promoters have taken over from 2019. Here's hoping that racing returns soon!
Whilst the IQ of some of the pictures isn't as good as they should be on a photography website they hopefully give you a flavour of racing there, when as a photographer you can use anything from a 20mm lens to a 400mm telephoto. I hope they provide you with some of the spirit of the place.
P1070492a.jpg
P1080487.JPG
P1080096.JPG
P1080416a.jpg
P1060761a.jpg
P1060776.JPG
P1060815.JPG
P6240760.JPG
P6240143a.jpg
P1070397.JPG

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
For me the only good thing about lockdown is the ability to edit some of my past motorsport photos.
I was "inspired" to go back to 2017 when I watched the "Cock of the North" at Scarborough road racing circuit. Due to an accident the circuit was closed in 2018 and new promoters have taken over from 2019. Here's hoping that racing returns soon!
Whilst the IQ of some of the pictures isn't as good as they should be on a photography website they hopefully give you a flavour of racing there, when as a photographer you can use anything from a 20mm lens to a 400mm telephoto. I hope they provide you with some of the spirit of the place.
Some great pictures there Ken - they certainly add to the variety on this thread and are very welcomed
The shot I posted above is of my stepson Ryan at Brands Hatch in his first (2018) season who was on the black bike in those days and was #26
Keep em coming 👍👍👍
Regards
Rob

Last edited:

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Now completed editing some of the early meetings I attended in 2019. First meeting for me was at Oulton Park in March which included some Classic Touring Car racing. The first three with Panasonic G80 plus 40-150 2.8 & t/c the last two with Olympus 75-300 The first and last also had Panasonic 1.4 ETC.
23 03 19_0053bw.jpg
23 03 19_0017.JPG
23 03 19_0069bw.jpg
23 03 19_0240.JPG
23 03 19_0218.JPG

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
No, I used the in camera 1.4 converter "Panasonic Ex Tele Converter".
The first picture with the Anglias was using the Olympus 40-150 2.8 plus Olympus 1.4 converter plus ETC 1.4 to give an effective 35mm focal length of 546mm (300+120+126). The last one of the Falcon and Camaro was Olympus 75-300 plus ETC to give 780mm (600+180).
I know that you have to reduce the image resolution, but I was trying to see whether the extra reach was the same as cropping image later. To be honest, on screen, I don't really notice much difference compared with cropping later and have used the ETC several times when I needed more reach.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Now completed editing some of the early meetings I attended in 2019. First meeting for me was at Oulton Park in March which included some Classic Touring Car racing. The first three with Panasonic G80 plus 40-150 2.8 & t/c the last two with Olympus 75-300 The first and last also had Panasonic 1.4 ETC.View attachment 821098View attachment 821099View attachment 821100View attachment 821101View attachment 821102.
great shots, but the driver of the Cortina isn't trying, he hasn't got the inside front wheel in the air.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
E-M1MarkII 300mm F4.0 + MC-14 420mm f/6.3 1/800s ISO 200
Reworked processing

jim_chung

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Chung
Rare race demonstration between legendary race icons Mazda 787B and Porsche 917.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
An old one reworked processing

Last edited:

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Reviewing 2019 I discovered the aftermath of a few incidents at Silverstone, Donington and Croft. Thankfully only bank balances were hurt ;)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom