MOTORSPORTS Thread - Post Your Fast Paced Action Here

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
IMG_1079.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1101.JPG

GRIDDD

Mu-43 All-Pro
Some images from today´s rally.

Oly 40-150mm F2.8
Rally_Fonstersprinten2016_01_.jpg

Rally_Fonstersprinten2016_05_.jpg

Rally_Fonstersprinten2016_19_.jpg

Oly 300mm F4
Rally_Fonstersprinten2016_02_.jpg

Rally_Fonstersprinten2016_27_.jpg

Pana 42,5mm F1.2
Rally_Fonstersprinten2016_03_.jpg

Rally_Fonstersprinten2016_20_.jpg

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Experimenting with effects on PS Express on iPad
1st one is the processed original:-
IMG_0967.JPG

View attachment 137327
'Silvered' effect:-
IMG_0967.JPG

'Carmine' effect:-
IMG_0967.JPG

'Silvered/Dappled/B&W'
IMG_0967.JPG

Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
IMG_1549.JPG
IMG_1514.JPG

Last edited:

GRIDDD

Mu-43 All-Pro
Some Supercross from last weekend.
SuperCross_Tele2_2016_02_.jpg

SuperCross_Tele2_2016_04_.jpg

SuperCross_Tele2_2016_17_.jpg

SuperCross_Tele2_2016_31_.jpg

SuperCross_Tele2_2016_28_.jpg

TomServo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon Jackson
First day shooting with the the 50-200 OM SWD. I understood this lens would be "OK" with focusing for action. I was very pleased with how fast it was. I have shot this venue and track location three times with the 40-150 2.8 pro lens and honestly, this lens had a better hit rate for focusing and hunted less. Excellent sharpness though some sharpness suffers due to my middling skills at panning :). I also think I need to do a little micro AF tuning which I understand is pretty common with these lenses on EM-1 bodies. Still looks a whole lot better than I could have hoped for. These are just from the sidecar racing but I have single bikes to render out also that look great. Love this lens.

(By the way, Robstar, I am in serious envy of your panning "kung fu"!. Do you use stabilization at all? I don't use it at all on my shots.)

Vintfest-2016_1146.jpg
Vintfest-2016_1234.jpg
Vintfest-2016_1351.jpg
Vintfest-2016_1375.jpg
Vintfest-2016_1391.jpg
Vintfest-2016_1446.jpg

TomServo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon Jackson
BTW - the settings used were C-AF, no tracking, no stabilization, no face detect, using 9-box focusing area. Varied shutter speeds from 1/400 to 1/800th depending on the light as they started off backlit and then became side/fronlit lit as they complete the turn. Running 3 frames/sec.

Phocal

God
BTW - the settings used were C-AF, no tracking, no stabilization, no face detect, using 9-box focusing area. Varied shutter speeds from 1/400 to 1/800th depending on the light as they started off backlit and then became side/fronlit lit as they complete the turn. Running 3 frames/sec.

Curious why the switch in lenses and if you could provide an assessment between the two (50-200 and 40-150) lenses?

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob

Hi TomServo
Thanks for your kind comment above
On the MotoGP photos I used almost exclusively CAF, no tracking, low speed burst with diamond (0 second anti- shock/electronic first curtain) and always had stabilisation on auto
Another member here previously pointed out that you should switch off face detection with CAF as that can slow processing and therefore Focussing performance which makes sense so I made sure I switched that off this time.
I sometimes used central cluster of focus points and sometimes full array
I have now had quite a lot of practice at panning over several events and do feel that I am getting better gradually
If I go home with several good shots I am happy - I was particularly happy with the Rossi and Marquez side on shots which from memory were both at 300mm on the Oly 75-300 and 1/250th for Rossi which rendered very blurred almost invisible wheel spokes and I think 1/400 on the Marquez which rendered less blurred wheels at roughly the same track position and bike speed
I find that panning past the point where your shots 'end' helps - like a follow through - that way you are sure to still be following your target at the point where you intended to actually shoot
Although I got a satisfying number of keepers from the event there were far more failed shots which I expect
However I must make a point of switching off stabilisation as that may yield an increase in keeper rate - good point - thanks - i don't always think about such things as when I am getting a fair number of good results I become reluctant to change settings for fear of losing a shot - must continue to experiment !
My shots mentioned above were at high bike speed (probably circa 100 mph exiting a corner) which of course helps with the blurred background effect - you were possibly at a disadvantage in comparison with your shots which are very nicely clear and sharp but with lower relative speed and movement
Looking forward to seeing your solo bike shots when you have 'rendered them out'
Regards
Rob

Last edited:

TomServo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon Jackson
Hi TomServo
Thanks for your kind comment above
On the MotoGP photos I used almost exclusively CAF, no tracking, low speed burst with diamond (0 second anti- shock/electronic first curtain) and always had stabilisation on auto
Another member here previously pointed out that you should switch off face detection with CAF as that can slow processing and therefore Focussing performance which makes sense so I made sure I switched that off this time.
I sometimes used central cluster of focus points and sometimes full array
I have now had quite a lot of practice at panning over several events and do feel that I am getting better gradually
If I go home with several good shots I am happy - I was particularly happy with the Rossi and Marquez side on shots which from memory were both at 300mm on the Oly 75-300 and 1/250th for Rossi which rendered very blurred almost invisible wheel spokes and I think 1/400 on the Marquez which rendered less blurred wheels at roughly the same track position and bike speed
I find that panning past the point where your shots 'end' helps - like a follow through - that way you are sure to still be following your target at the point where you intended to actually shoot
Although I got a satisfying number of keepers from the event there were far more failed shots which I expect
However I must make a point of switching off stabilisation as that may yield an increase in keeper rate - good point - thanks - i don't always think about such things as when I am getting a fair number of good results I become reluctant to change settings for fear of losing a shot - must continue to experiment !
My shots mentioned above were at high bike speed (probably circa 100 mph exiting a corner) which of course helps with the blurred background effect - you were possibly at a disadvantage in comparison with your shots which are very nicely clear and sharp but with lower relative speed and movement
Looking forward to seeing your solo bike shots when you have 'rendered them out'
Regards
Rob

The corner where I was set up at Barber is a sharp slow turn so I do have the advantage there for getting clear shots. Shooting the back straight is definitely more challenging with them coming at you at high speed but i didn't get over there this year. I forgot to mention i did turn off face detection as well. Stabilization seems to slow things down a bit too. When I first switched off Nikon to go with the EM-1 I experimented with the various settings and also looked at advice on this forum and found that turning off all the extras like tracking and stabilization made a huge difference in "hit rate" for AF, even with the more consumer oriented lenses.

One important thing about the 50-200 is that is a true "zoom" lens and not a varifocal like many of the native m43 "zoom" lenses. I'm able to shift the zoom without the camera having to re-focus.

Latest threads

Top Bottom