MOTORSPORTS Thread - Post Your Fast Paced Action Here

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
The images from both are outstanding to my novice eye. What is it about the IQ of the XT3 that you find superior?
In general the images are a little bit ‘richer’ in terms of contrast and colour
The ability to crop the XT3 images is much better as is the ability to recover shadows - bearing in mind that up until now I have only been shooting ( or at least processing) JPEGs from both systems
I really must get my head around processing RAW files
Low light images of fast moving subjects will always be better with the Fuji system but I’m inclined to put less emphasis on this with regard to my decision making
The affordability of M43 lenses is in general an advantage - I would be able to have a better range within the M43 system

Mike_D

Mu-43 Regular
Regarding processing raw files...they are flatter to begin with but are much more malleable. The learning curve is not that steep and I predict that once you get the hang of working with them you won't go back to JPEGs.

JDS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David Schultz
Hi Rob, I have to say that I don't find your XT-3 images superior at all to the various EM-1s. The lighting is by far the big difference between images, in equal light the differences are microscopic to me. I'd go with the gear you prefer shooting.

Mike.K

Mu-43 Rookie
The Mighty Mini & a JAG, E-M1.2 and 100-400 Leica Panasonic
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
EM1X PL200f2.8
7BA8BDA8-ED27-4250-948C-ECC80E4C8934.jpeg

Last edited:

JDS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David Schultz
Rob, you are an excellent motorsports photographer (far better than me) and have posted some truly outstanding photos here. Your panning technique is very impressive, I wish I could do half as well. But I got to say, it feels like you might be in a bit of a creative rut- you're so good at those side panning shots that you seem to be a bit stuck there...? Your mission, should you choose to accept it (and I will happily screw off if you tell me to): experiment more in 2020. My guess is you'll blow us all away again with some different angles, perspectives, pit photos etc. I would love to see what you can do with a wide angle, different track positions etc.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Rob, you are an excellent motorsports photographer (far better than me) and have posted some truly outstanding photos here. Your panning technique is very impressive, I wish I could do half as well. But I got to say, it feels like you might be in a bit of a creative rut- you're so good at those side panning shots that you seem to be a bit stuck there...? Your mission, should you choose to accept it (and I will happily screw off if you tell me to): experiment more in 2020. My guess is you'll blow us all away again with some different angles, perspectives, pit photos etc. I would love to see what you can do with a wide angle, different track positions etc.
Hi JDS
Many thanks for the highly valued feedback and kind comments
As it happens I totally agree with you about being in a bit of a rut with my photos
They have become quite repetitive and I have actually questioned keeping hold of my equipment bearing in mind the value because of this
Part of the problem at least is that on road racing tracks I only have spectator access which is very restrictive nowadays with ever increasing safety fencing and run off areas - so much as I’d like to vary what I do a lot more I have only a few very restricted areas within reach which I share with the rest of the public most of whom have no interest in making room for me or other photographers
Most of my vantage points are side on and there are very few alternatives
That being said I will willingly accept the challenge and your comment will serve to motivate me to find ways to do some different things :thumbup:
At Speedway I have more flexibility in any case as I have less restricted access and I am determined this year to mix things up a bit more there
Again thanks for the feedback - it is what I needed to hear :2thumbs:
Regards
Rob

JDS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David Schultz
Hi JDS
Many thanks for the highly valued feedback and kind comments
As it happens I totally agree with you about being in a bit of a rut with my photos
They have become quite repetitive and I have actually questioned keeping hold of my equipment bearing in mind the value because of this
Part of the problem at least is that on road racing tracks I only have spectator access which is very restrictive nowadays with ever increasing safety fencing and run off areas - so much as I’d like to vary what I do a lot more I have only a few very restricted areas within reach which I share with the rest of the public most of whom have no interest in making room for me or other photographers
Most of my vantage points are side on and there are very few alternatives
That being said I will willingly accept the challenge and your comment will serve to motivate me to find ways to do some different things :thumbup:
At Speedway I have more flexibility in any case as I have less restricted access and I am determined this year to mix things up a bit more there
Again thanks for the feedback - it is what I needed to hear :2thumbs:
Regards
Rob
Thanks for the great response, I'm going to try to apply my comment to myself this year as well. One of the triggers of my comment came from my last experience at Laguna Seca this year, where most photographers (including me) hang out at this one location at the Corkscrew (the iconic series of corners on the back side of the track- I'll post photos in a bit). Its an awesome corner for shooting, yet the shot you get is very repetitive. I had a friend bring me to turn 6 for the first time ever after going to this track for decades (how did I never find access before?!). Its a beautiful spot that gives a completely different type of motorsports photo, almost landscape like. It was a real "oh, wow" moment, reminding me to look around more. Anyway, I'm excited to see what you do next season, keep posting please!

JDS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David Schultz
The classic Corkscrew shots:

PM551173.JPG

PM551082.JPG

PM550909.JPG

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom