MOTORSPORTS Thread - Post Your Fast Paced Action Here

Shooting at Donington is getting more and more difficult due to more catch fencing and also a secondary fence meaning that you can't get right up to the catch fencing, but here's my efforts from the weekend.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

NZ7_1716 by TDG-77, on Flickr

NZ7_1760 by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7070252-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7071385-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7072143-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7072273-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7073375-Edit 2 by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7073404-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7073600-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7074052 by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7074002 by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7074210-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7073523-Edit-2 by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7072631-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Was dusty up there wasn’t it ? Did you catch up with Ian ?
I honestly have no idea when I’ll get to edit my images from FoS. I have thousands of images from our time in England, and an ever-growing list of projects to do around the house... :rolleyes:

I’ve managed to edit a few for sharing on Instagram though. It was also great to meet up with Damian and Rob while I was there and chat for a bit. It was proof that there are still some decent people hanging around the internet these days ;)
:laugh1: :drinks:
It’s a 300/2.8, but yeah it worked out really well. I was hesitant to bring it with me, but am glad I did. It’s a great piece of glass and I got a lot of shots that I’m really happy with.
Yeah, we met up on Saturday morning. It was hard to miss @Robstar1963, as he was in contention for tallest person attending that day.

As for the rally stage, it was dust-city. All of my gear was covered in a fine layer of Chichester's finest dirt. I ended up not spending too much time there, as there wasn't anything particularly exciting on the rally course when we were up there.

I was also bummed that you couldn't see the cars on the hill-climb track cross the start finish line, as the hay bails were too high. There were many places up the hill where the hay bails were much higher than they were back in 2015, which was disappointing. I suppose it's no different than the proliferation of catch fencing at tracks here in the US, which make shooting from general spectator areas all the more difficult.
Hi @ijm5012 and @damianmkv
Apologies for delayed replies - lots going on with change of job etc Yes it was really great to meet up with you Ian
After all this time here on the forum it was great to meet up in person and put a face to the member here
It was so hot that day that when I got up into the covered forest rally section about an hour after we met up - I felt so much more comfortable that I decided to stay there for a while - unfortunately there were two stoppages for accidents including one car that ended up perched on a tree stump
I was sitting around for about an hour waiting for that one to be recovered - wondering whether to move back down to the hill climb course and thinking that as soon as I decided to move they would restart the rally stage so with that and another stoppage there was a lot of wasted time ! I was very keen on shooting the rally cars as I’ve never had the opportunity before so persevered and wasted too much time
Prior to the rally stage I was with others in my group and having not been myself for about 12 years and they had never visited so we weren’t sure about viewpoints and we ended up spending quite a lot of time wandering up the infield areas and trackside and ending up with poor viewpoints so unlike you who knew what you were doing and where to go not a lot of results to show for the day in terms of shots / keepers f the hill climb course
In any case I used the day to experiment a little more with ultra slower shutter speeds including the 1/10th shot of the Audi Quattro - as you know keeper rates are very low with shutter speeds this low (thanks for the kind comment)
I have to say I’m glad I’m not towing (as you put it yourself) a Nikon 300 like the one you were using - I really don’t know how you manage with that and you must have some really well developed arm muscles having used that for some time - with my back problems I’d need to be carried home if I used that all day :eek-31: - some superb results (as usual) from the FOS with the lens though :bravo-009:
Damien - Their were very few decent vantage points at the rally stage with trees everywhere blocking or interrupting the view aswell as the fine chalk dust - I noticed that most of the marshalls were wearing dust masks as it was so bad.
Unfortunately the trees ruined lots of my shots which otherwise would have been keepers so keeper rate pretty low - did you get to shoot anything in the rally stage or on the course ?
Sorry I missed you Damien as you went Friday - hopefully catch you another time or place
Regards
Rob

damianmkv

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@Robstar1963 no worries, I was there Thursday and Friday but I knew that Ian was catching up with you on Saturday

I didn’t shoot a lot on the rally stage and I haven’t put anything on Flickr yet, just a few on my instagram with the same username as here :thumbsup:

GRID

Mu-43 All-Pro

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Shooting at Donington is getting more and more difficult due to more catch fencing and also a secondary fence meaning that you can't get right up to the catch fencing, but here's my efforts from the weekend.

View attachment 760201
P7071385-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr
This one just really grabbed me! and 1/10th of a second!

Another great one as always. Look at the twist in that rear tire. What kind of pressures are they running?

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
This one just really grabbed me! and 1/10th of a second!
Another great one as always. Look at the twist in that rear tire. What kind of pressures are they running?
Many thanks for the kind comments @gwydionjhr
The pressures are very low in order to get grip on the loose shale surface - I’m not sure what the pressures are - I will endeavour to find out for you though next time I’m there

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
I’ve reworked the processing on these two

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Tried a little different look on the drifting shots... aye/nay?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom