1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Motor Mower Racing

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Geoff3DMN, May 19, 2013.

1. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

This event happens once a year at a local sports oval 2 blocks from where I live on the outskirts of Campbells Creek, Australia. This year I thought I'd take along my OMD and my new 75-300 and give the new lens a first proper outing.

Comments and Criticism encouraged :smile:

P5190015-L.

P5190122-L.

P5190102-L.

P5190052-L.

P5190060-L.

P5190067-L.

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Interesting set.

Must be an unlimited class? The pic of the guy looking under the hood reveals what looks like a 125cc motorcycle engine.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I like! :biggrin:

4. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

There are various classes from juniors through single cylinder 2 and 4 stroke motorbike engines up to unlimited (some of the unlimited class have 4 cylinder motorbike engines).

I confess I don't know as much as I should about the details of the classes, given that my work has been one of the sponsors of the event for the last 5 years and that my nephew races :redface:

5. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    Look like a lot of fun :thumbup: and the weather was good too ... for this time of the year :smile:

6. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    IMO, these are a rather static set for a racing venue. The first two are almost similar and do come the closest to being exciting (WB differs a lot between them; #1 looks way too magenta.) Why never any faces?
    The next two really give no clue as to why the viewer should be interested. There is little expression, detail or emotion captured.
    The last two are documentary pictures in not-so-great light that might be of interest to someone interested in racing.

Racing anything has been done a lot so it is difficult to find something to shoot that isn't a cliche but, cliche or not, pictures need to have something of interest photographically.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Cool! Looks like a fun event. :cool:

8. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

You're correct about the WB (and I'm not happy with #1 I'll have another look at that). I haven't used the OMD for sports much so I'm on a learning curve.

As for no faces that concerned me also, it's a result of this trip being primarily a family outing and being unwilling/unable to leave the kids to walk around the track for better angles and the kids couldn't follow me.

The young girl in the photo is Georgia, she's 11 years old and has an uncommon type of lueukemia which has been resistant to treatment. My daughter and her have been best friends since they were toddlers and it breaks my heart to see her like that. She wanted her photo taken because she was enjoying her day just being a normal kid out with her friends instead of like most of her life which is spent in hospital.