1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mothra!!

Discussion in 'Nature' started by uci2ci, Aug 23, 2012.

1. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    This moth was hanging on my bathroom faucet. I used the sink and a couple of stacked books to stabilize the camera. I slid one book over the other to advance the focus. I came out decent, but there are some areas where the blending didn't go right. For those of you who are familiar with stacking, is there a way to correct spots where PS used an out-of-focus layer?

EDIT: Figured it out finally....Thank you TDP for pointing me in the right direction. Image has been updated. The areas where the faucet meets the legs and feet are still out of focus...these can't be fixed in PS since they are out of focus in every shot.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/82000474@N03/7855616238/" title="P8230270-Edit by sam2c, on Flickr">"1600" height="1119" alt="P8230270-Edit"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  2. TDP

TDP Guest

After PS stacks the layers and creates the mask based off what it thinks are the focused spots, does PS auto merge all the layers into one or does it leave each layer stacked? I haven't done any of these stacked macros, but I have done panoramas in PS and it leaves each layer intact and relies on the user to do the final merge.

If the stacks are left as layers intact, you may be able to hide each stack, looking at just one at a time, then use your eyes to adjust the layer mask that PS created for you.

Tonight is Chinese Valentine's day so I'm a bit busy with dinner with the wife and all or I would whip up a test series and give it a spin. Based off what I have seen for other aspects of PS, it should leave the layers intact so you can do final edits prior to merging the stack.

3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Thank you! Ill give it a try tonight

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Wow, very nice!

• Like Like x 1
  5. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Where are Mothra's singing fairies? :smile: Really interesting to see such detail.

• Like Like x 2
  6. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Edit: Figured it out

7. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I liked to movie too!

8. trstenjak

trstenjak Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2012
    Slovenia
    Tadej Trstenjak
    Excellent details!
    Advice: Try to bump exposure a little bit to bump up details a little more.