Mother in law needs a new pocket camera.

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Sniksekk, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    My mother in law needs a new camera. Requirements is:
    1: Easy to use. (Point and shoot).
    2: Small (pocket size)
    3: Starts fast (her is from pre 2010, and slow).
    4: no changeable lenses.

Favorite thing to photograph is grand children when home. Architecture at vacations.

Any tips?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think DPreview posted a really good article on this just recently.

"Last December I was looking to buy a camera for my mom to replace her aging Panasonic travel zoom..."

Opinion: Enthusiast compacts have finally come of age

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. <3

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Price range?
    Grand Children? Close in, around the house or across the play ground and sports?
    Architecture at vacations? As in a shot of the pretty building or a more serious interest?

• Any of the Sony RX100 versions unless the buttons are too small for her, all are still available.
    • The new Nikon DL 18-50, great wide and AF system with perspective control for Architecture. The cheaper DL 24-85 is also a good option for AF performance. It's range may be better in general and has a handy macro mode. The AF ability is an assumption on my part as it's still new, but if it's direct from the Nikon 1 then it should be very good.
    • For something with longer reach: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100 25-250mm with a 1 inch sensor
    • If you want more reach you'll have to go for a smaller sensor or larger form factor
    I'll add two more options for specific reasons.

The Fuji X30, ON/OFF buy turning the lens and it's a manual zoom lens, one of the few with one.
    The Olympus Stylus 1s, constant f/2.8, not really that long at only 300mm and maybe a little big. But layout and controls like the OMDs with a traditional SLR style.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  5. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    XZ-10 is in stock on the Olympus store Reconditioned. $120 with the SPRING code. Not my personal first choice but at $120.........

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Does she use a cell-phone? If so, upgrade it to the latest iPhone and you are golden. Architecture works great on the wide angle lenses on phones and the fast aperture and the quick-response time are great for kid pics. Not to mention easy sharing with others, as Grandmas seem to like to do. If she's been using a pre-2010 compact, she will be thrilled with the image quality and the operation of an iPhone couldn't be simpler. If she prefers Android, I think the Nexus 5x or Samsung S6/7 are great options as well.

Don't over think or over complicate it by going camera-geek on her!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    I agree. If she's anything like my 78 year old mother, all she needs is a big screen (because her eyes aren't great anymore) and one big fat button to press (because anything else is too complicated). An iPhone, iPod touch or Android equivalent would do the trick, plus offer many other capabilities that a conventional camera doesn't, yet be as or more pocketable than even the slimmest point-and-shoot. On an iPhone, set the camera app to Auto HDR and Auto Flash to keep things as simple as possible.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Get her the Canon S120 or a nice used S110. Got my wife one last year and she loves it. I love too, with a nice fast lens, great image quality and very easy to use.

10. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Thanks to all the replies, I don`t want to be rude and don`t answer, but time slipped by my fingers today so I haven`t been able to check out the replies.
    Will look at this thread tomorrow.

11. JonVdG

JonVdG Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2016
    Colorado, USA
    Jon
    Definitely an iPhone. It almost doesn't matter how small we make cameras because you're not likely to remember to take it with you as you head out the door. And as has been said many times, the best camera is the one you have with you. If I'm understanding her intended use correctly, it will have sufficient resolution unless she needs telephoto zoom.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Question - what is she going to do with the photos?

If she is anything like my mother in law, I would say definately not a phone of any type. She hasn't got a clue about how to get photos off of a phone. Give her a camera where the photos are stored on an SD card, and she can just about cope with taking the card out and putting it in the slot on her laptop, or taking it down to get them printed on one of those kiosks. Anything more complicated than that just ends up creating more work for yourself!

As far as she is concerned, a camera is for taking photos, a phone is for calls and texts, and a computer is for email and internet - believe me, we've tried to show her what her smart phone can actually do, but sometimes you just have to know when to give up :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tkbslc

You don't need to take them off the phone. Sync to the cloud and you pull them up on the web or phone or wherever. Couldn't be easier.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    My wife, who is no grandmother, has foregone using a camera in favor of her iPhone. We have a couple of older Canon P&S cameras gathering dust at home. I have an Olymputs TG-4 as my "pocket" camera, but she's not interested. She uses the iPhone (or any smartphone) for video and photos and is more than happy with it, even if the quality isn't great. IQ isn't that important to her as long as she can decipher who's in the photo. She says, "your shots are great" but that isn't enough reason to trouble herself learning how to use a digital camera. I think that's the case for a lot of people. :-(

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tkbslc

My wife knows how to use our cameras just fine. It's just that even m43 is a big camera compared to the phone, and phone quality is good enough for Facebook and 4x6 albums. Why bother?

16. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I've always used a compact camera when size, weight and space were important and I found even the camera on my iPhone 6 wasn't consistently creating enough 'keepers' to make me change.

But since I updated my phone to an iPhone 6S+ (which has optical stabilization and phase detection) I'm finding that's no longer the case a lot of the time.

For example at 800x600 (about the resolution I use for Facebook) and straight out of the phone without editing the photos below aren't substantially different to what I'd have gotten using my compact camera.

AGM%202016%20Spirit%20of%20Tasmania-L.

AGM%202016%20ride%202-L.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I borrowed her my em10, with 17mm 1.8 2 years ago and she could not stand it due to the lack of zoom.
    So in my first post "zoom" should have been one of the points. :)
    And a phone is a phone in her opinion atm. Might change in the future, but I'm in no rush trying to change her mind.

I realized reading this thread (or the first link can't remember) that I think she would love a touchscreen like em10. Not a screen that is stuck at the back of the camera or swivel outwards like pen-f. A screen like that (em10) with eyefinder, zoom. Easy to use.
    I think that's all I need.

As to weight. No idea. Must be able to put in her jacket / purse.
    Lighter would be better, but quality of pictures is somewhat more important then weight at least until a certain point. 500 grams of camera is way past that weight/ quality balance.

18. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It's a bit too expensive now, but the Panasonic TZ100 / ZS100 is really the only pocket camera I would even consider at this point, with the possible exception of a Ricoh GR or the new Nikon DL18-50.

The faster lens on the RX100 or various Canon models is a pretty marginal improvement, given that none will be superb at low-light photography in any case, but having a lens that goes almost 4x longer just increases the utility of the camera so immeasurably. You never know when you're going to need a telephoto, and if you've never had one with you all the time on a superzoom you probably don't even realize you want one, but the shots that you can get as a result are ones you simply couldn't get with any shorter focal length.

I have dozens of examples of why I continue to put up with the average optical quality of my 14-140mm, but here's a candid shot of my friend enjoying a moment in nature while we were out hiking in the woods last winter. Snapped at 206mm equivalent. Do you think she would look that peaceful if I had stumped up to her with a 70mm RX100, let alone a 28mm smartphone? Not to mention the immersive effect you get from the telephoto compression flattening the foreground and background elements around her.

16512541895_6ac8355176_b.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Great photo.

20. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I agree, great photo.

But I don't think anyone is arguing that the zoom capability of a compact camera isn't useful.

What I'm saying (and I'm not trying to speak for anyone else), is merely that physical zoom is the becoming the only reason remaining to use a compact camera instead of a phone (at least for most people).

If zoom is important to the intended usage then by all means by a travel compact :)