1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Most shallow adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by panyuser, Feb 21, 2012.

1. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    I'm thinking of picking up a wide angle lens for street photography (and zone focusing).

I have a OM-m43 adapter for my OM 50mm, but it's almost the same depth as the lens itself.

Is there an adapter that's shallower, i.e., for lenses from a system with a shorter flange distance?

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The shallowest adapters I've seen are the Leica M, Pen-F and m39 to m43 adapters. The shallowest adapter for the more common SLR lenses is the Konica AR to m43.

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Just google camera flange distance and you should be able to find this info. Then you have to consider size of the lens...

4. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    The most shallow would be c-mount, with it's placement a few mm's inside the camera.

5. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    I've never been able to find a wide angle worth adapting. With the crop factor you need to get ultra-wide lenses that start getting pricey.

I have 18mm and 28mm screw mounts but that is a pretty big adapter.

IMHO for anything wide the better bet is to shoot with native lenses like the 14mm pancake or, if you want a manual focus ring something like the 12mm SLR magic or the 8mm Samyang/Rokinon Fisheye.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Any Rangefinder (ie, Leica M, M39, Contax RF, etc.) or Cine mount (ie, C-Mount) will be significantly shorter than any SLR mount except Pen F. When you get into SLRs, you have a big mirrorbox in the way, so they are all long. There is not a great variance between them, but the Four-Thirds mount is the shortest register for an SLR... besides Pen F, which is technically an SLR but is built a lot different - its register is about halfway between a rangefinder and a conventional SLR.

If you're looking for the shortest of the short, then Rangefinder and Cine mounts would be them. If you want high optical quality at the same time, then rangefinder mounts would be the ones to look at. Cine mounts were made for video use and as such most lenses are not up to the resolution requirements of a still camera. However, Cine lenses have some of the widest angle fast lenses of any film format! That alone can often make them worthwhile. Rangefinder lenses on the other hand, can have some fantastic quality optics. Generally better than SLR, but with poor close-focus distance (ie, get an SLR lens if you want to shoot small objects or macro!). Since you're asking for a wide angle, that's a non-issue.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, I have to agree there. And native mount is the shallowest of them all. ;)

8. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    Thanks guys.

Looking at the options (and based that I want the slimmest thing for my GX1 I can find), the Panasonic 14mm looks like the best bet.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Good choice! :thumbup:

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    There are. Leica M is probably the most common.

But there's little point if you're looking for a wide-angle lens. The 2x crop factor means that you'll need a superwide lens if you go the adapted route, and those are never particular small (nor do they get particularly good results on m4/3).

Even the Olympus 17/2.8, one of the most mediocre m4/3 lenses, is no worse than any of the adapted 16-18mm lenses. And it's a great deal smaller.

DH