Most popular lenses according to

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by InlawBiker, Feb 21, 2016.

1. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I was browsing through the showcase looking at photos, envying some of the lenses and shots this morning. I figured there must be some correlation to the number of posts and how popular the lens is with the community here. Because I'm a geek, I calculated the number of posts in the lens showcases divided by the days since it was announced.

What does it mean? Probably not much except how much chatter happens about a lens. I used the announcement date from DPReview, and assumed 20 posts per page in the gallery (even if the last page isn't full).

As I expected the Olympus 45mm 1.8 is the most popular lens, followed by the Panasonic 20mm and 25mm.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Nice job! Now I see why I am having such a hard time selling some of my lenses hehehe

And the ones I'm keeping are even less popular!
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Strangely, given the number of lenses I've accumulated, I only have one of the top 3 (the 45), although the other two have passed through my hands to owners new.
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Haha I would have all 3 if it weren't for the banding and slower AF of the 20mm.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm not surprised. Those are the best of the reasonably priced early lenses. For awhile... those 3 were the bulk of what most post people used. I don't see the Noct, O60, PL15, O75 or O12. Are you just posting the top choices?
  6. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    One interesting thing to note is that the most popular ones are around 2.0-ish, then the next ones drop to about 1.0-ish. There is a 1.7 and a 1.8, then it immediately drops to 1.0 and lower. Odd that there isn't anything in between. It kind of implies that the popular lenses are not just top of the list, but top of the list and won by a few laps. :)
  7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Galleries? What galleries?
    I don't have a gallery here, hence I must have no any lenses! :)
  8. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Oh I should have said "showcases" for sample images, which is different from galleries.
  9. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    This is not surprising. I bought the 42.5 1.7 for the OIS; the FOV of 20 1.7 has always been enjoyable to use and I used to have the Sigma 19 2.8 because it's a cheaper substitute and focuses faster; 25 1.4 is the only lens I can shoot all day long without changing, but now it seems too slow for tracking actions and its aperture is laggy and loud.

I expect 12-40 and 40-150 pro to be fairly popular too.