Most popular Camera here

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by jgreg, May 3, 2016.

1. jgreg

jgreg Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2016
    James Gregus
    What is the most popular camera here? Olympus E-M1 or Panasonic GH4?

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I'm curious as to why it matters?

But to answer your question, the E-M1. It's viewed as more of a traditional "stills" camera, while the GH4 is viewed as a "hybrid" camera, and tends to get dismissed because of that, despite being an excellent stills camera (in some ways better than the E-M1).

I own both, and don't find one better than the other. It depends on what I intend to shoot.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Tough call - there are a lot of people that think the E-M1 is too large for their m43 aspirations. Then you get folks like me that lust after the E-M1 (I finally bought one!). The E-M10 and E-M10 Mk.II have a big following because they're compact and have lots of features. Both versions of the E-M5 have lots of fans and a lot of owners.
    I can't address the popularity of the Lumix cameras because I haven't played with any of them, let alone owned one. There seem to be lots of satisfied owners.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I would say that in sheer numbers it's the E-M5, but frankly every m43 camera from the last 4 years will give roughly the same results....it all comes down to marginally different features sets.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The OP only mentioned the E-M1 and GH4 in his post, so I'm not sure why we're mentioning other cameras...

Overall, I'd say the E-M5 just because of how long it's been on the market and how well it performs. But the OP only mentioned the E-M1 and GH4, of which the E-M1 is more popular on these forums.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    For still shooters the E-M1 and for video shooters the GH4.

7. jgreg

jgreg Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2016
    James Gregus
    Thanks I just ordered a E-M1 and it going to be here Wed. I also found a used 12-50mm that will be here on Wed.

8. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    It's a fine camera but takes some time to set up. Ask if you need help, it's a really deep menu. I've had mine over 5 months and am still tweaking settings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Because he asked which was the most popular camera here. I would say neither of those.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand

Is that not clear enough???

11. tkbslc

I generally don't read question marks as commas or tell people how they are allowed to reply, but feel free to do so yourself.

The punctuation suggests he is asking which camera is the most popular, and then guessing that it might be the E-M1 or GH4.

I really don't care other than I took offense to someone trying to dictate how we could answer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Well, it made perfect sense to me.

13. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    If I asked the question, "What's the best car: a Honda Civic or Nissan Sentra?", I wouldn't want people saying "a Toyota Corolla" or "a Chevy Cruze". I gave two options for a reason.

The OP listed two cameras that he wanted an opinion on, so saying anything outside of that just seems redundant. Also, the OP later posted that he purchased an E-M1, which on further supports why recommending anything outside of those cameras was nonsensical.

But I suppose some people are more sensitive than others to the small things...

14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I read it the same way that tkbslc did, that he was simply guessing at what the most popular camera is.

It's hard to worry about how helpful an answer seems in this context, since how helpful can it even be to ask which of those two cameras is more popular? There are more than enough active members here that are familiar with either or both cameras to help you through any operational challenge you might happen to experience with either camera.

15. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    Here? It's the GX8...

16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    You're correct about the sensitivity. Isn't it kind of annoying? Why would someone call out another poster because they didn't think his answer met the criteria of the OP? Some people...

Beyond that, we often disagree because some forget that "words mean something". They don't necessarily mean what you think they do, nor what the person who wrote them meant to communicate. In this case it is perfectly reasonable to think that the OP was guessing "GH4 or E-M1" as a secondary question to "What is the most popular camera here?". There are many ways he could have written that sentence to make it completely clear. No biggie, unless the nit-pick-police come out and complain about someone answering an ambiguous question in a different way than they think is appropriate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. jgreg

jgreg Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2016
    James Gregus
    Sorry I bothered all of you. I'll keep it to the E-M1 for you.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Grammar police: Which of these two cameras is more popular here?

19. Pstmstr

Pstmstr Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2016
    Thought I was on DPReview there for a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. tkbslc

I think you should get a motorcycle.

• Funny Funny x 1