Morning photography in Andrew's Wood reserve

Discussion in 'Nature' started by grebeman, Jul 6, 2010.

1. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Andrew's Wood was donated to the Devon Wildlife Trust in memory of a young man killed in a motor vehicle crash. It belonged to his parents and he spent many hours there honing his wildlife skills.
    It is one of only six sites in the UK where the Heath Lobelia plant grows and it has by far the largest population of the plant of any of those sites.

[​IMG]
    Heath Lobelia with Large Skipper butterfly

[​IMG]
    Yellow Bartsia

[​IMG]
    Ringlet Butterfly, by far the most numerous species present at the moment

[​IMG]
    Blue-tailed Damselfly

[​IMG]
    Bee landing on Rosebay Willowherb

[​IMG]
    Broad-bodied Chaser

All photographs with G1 and Sigma 105mm, f/2.8 macro lens, most at f/8, all shots handheld

• Like Like x 4
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Very tragic about the young man - Andrew's death, but a true tribute by his parents and a great gift.

All of your photographs are very well done - there's no question about that - but I just love the Blue-tailed Damselfly. There's something so compelling about that blue color on that perfectly amazing little body!

• Like Like x 2
  3. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Lovely pics. Can you say a bit more about your lens - I'm looking for a decent macro? Is it an adapted one ?

4. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    The lens I was using is a Sigma 105mm, f/2.8 DG Macro in a 4/3 fitting and is mounted using a 4/3 to :43: adapter. Whilst this does not retain the auto focus feature I find this of no consequence since manual focusing for close up shots produces the best results, the auto stop down feature is retained and having also used both 55mm and 105mm micro Nikkor lens which require a manual stop down I have settled on the Sigma as my lens of choice for close up photography, the auto stop down is invaluable for insect photography, although not for static subjects such as flowers which would be equally well handled with fully manual lenses.

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  5. Adrian43

Adrian43 New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2010
    Nice set of nature macros. I particularly like the Bee in mid air - how on earth you managed that with manual focus is a credit to you.

• Like Like x 2
  6. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    There were a few bad shots as well Adrian, but you don't get to see those :smile:. Either out of focus or blurred, but that's the great advantage of digital for the likes of this type of photography, keep banging away for those difficult to obtain shots, and every so often you get lucky, and that one is a good example.

Barrie