1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Morning mist

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by BillN, Jan 21, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    One of my first G1 shots with the 14 45

Morning mist here
    F5.6 1/4000 -1/3 AWB ISO400 14mm
    no pp - jpeg straight out of the camera

Would welcome any comments for improvements etc., - the more critical the better

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Bill,

these are just gut instinct observations - please just take them to stimulate your own thoughts / this discussion.

I like the tones at the base of the trees, but the bottom part of the image is just too dark and lacking in interest to make it worth keeping... how does the crop below affect the image for you?

Cheers

Brian

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks Brian, comments really appreciated as i am trying to improve and take "my hobby" far more seriously.

I found the only interest out there this morning, (whilst taking my 30 min walk with my wife), was the morning sun.

I was trying to catch the "silvery" path of the morning sun coming through the trees in the bottom part.

If I start messing around in Light room anything can happen - maybe scrap it and have another go! should be the answer

4. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    It's really good if you can find reflective ground (e.g. grass, water, snow etc) and then shoot more into the sun to strengthen the shadows - also be aware of perspective to get more drama in the shot - either shooting downwards or upwards to get those angles going...

For example - a recent shot in the snow...

E-P1 + 20mm f1.7
    1/3200s f/5.6 at 20.0mm iso200
    View attachment 140826

Cheers

Brian

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Bill,
    Brian has a useful crop. This is one of the aesthetic issues that 4/3 brings to the table. Most shooters come from 35mm or 3/2 format. Brian's is close to that.
    Your doing nothing wrong, don't worry about that....it's just one needs to pay more attention to the dynamic of the rectangle with 4/3 cameras...there's a completely different dynamic going on....

Don

6. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    any better or is it now too "washed out"

[​IMG]

7. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Much better... perhaps squeeze a bit more depth out of the shadows - Bill do you have the raw file you could share? I'd love to show you what I mean...

Cheers

Brian

8. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    No RAW

I will start taking them in RAW

I just wanted to "have a go" this morning - as i had just got the G1

M4/3 to Nikon F adapter just arrived

Is it OK to start threads like this and ask for comments and help - if so that is just what I am after

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Bill, hope you don't mind that I moved these posts here to a new thread and added a thread title. There were a few unrelated discussions going on in that other thread.

10. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    No problems

11. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Bill, this is exactly why we created this section! so more than OK :2thumbs:

No worries about the lack of raw - if you want a raw converter which is photography orientated (rather than a pixel editor) - Lightzone is fabulous for the G1.

Well worth at least a free trial, and will give you much more dynamic range... here's an example :

G1 + Lumix 14-45
    1/500s f/6.3 at 45.0mm iso100
    View attachment 140827

Cheers

Brian

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I like the original photograph, Bill. For me, the strength is in the backlit trees, and I wonder how this would look if you had shifted a half step to block out the sun behind the tree it is currently adjacent to. It might have had more impact without our view of the sun as so prominent an element of the photo.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks Brian, (again)

I have not used any of the supplied software with the G1

Just for your info and comments I do the following

Download the images from the G1 onto my computer just using the desktop in XP Pro and dragging them from my computer to a newly created folder

If I want to take them any further, I have CS2 and an early version of Lightroom, (1.3), which I am thinking about upgrading - I will stick with CS2 as I have the suite, (including Adobe Bridge which I find useful), and upgrading for me would be a waste of money as I am not experienced enough even to use 20% of what Photoshop CS2 offers.

Is there anything useful on the Panasonic disc that is I am not covering in the above?

Cheers

14. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I think that Silkypix should also be present on your system disk.

I could never get on with Silkypix - the user interface was a bit quirky for my liking.

Cheers

Brian

15. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    another shot i took at the same time - I was trying to get a dark, yet sun coming through effect - trying to have all the interest in the pattern and tones of the trunks and branches

(cropped to follow Brians suggestion) - but that's it - Oh! of course there is an "interloper" on the left edge

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Fabulous! Well done Bill... much better!

Cheers

Brian

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's exactly what I was getting at regarding the first photograph. I think it works very well!

18. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oh, that is much better!! I really like this one

19. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Hi Bill,

I prefer the original composition, in my view it is pretty near perfect. It just needs the foreground shadows lifting a little, without lightening the rest of the image. I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of having a go:-

BILL_S_PIC.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I used the Highlights/Shadows adjustment in Elements to lighten the shadows by 15 and darken the highlights by 18. I also gave a slight boost to the contrast and re-sharpened the foreground slightly. What do you think? :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  20. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what Bill thinks but I think it is great and if Elements could do that I guess I'd better ante up and get ahold of it.

Bill where the heck are you?

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.