Morning fog

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Harribo, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Harribo

Harribo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2010
    Lancashire
    I rose early to get these shots of the sun rising through to thick fog. Exposing for these situations is never easy and even reviewing them on the LCD doesnt always seem reliable. It came to a toss-up between exposing for the glow of the sun or detail in the landscape.

Taken with GF1 and 20mm

Comments welcome.

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      150.9 KB
      Views:
    • b.jpg
      b.jpg
      File size:
      119.1 KB
      Views:
    • d.jpg
      d.jpg
      File size:
      147.3 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 8
  2. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for sharing! Your absolutely right about the difficulty in selecting the proper exposure in these situations but it seems spot on to me. I especially like the first one (from left to right)

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Very nice shots, Harribo, that render the foggy weather well.
    Is there any reason why you did not give the middle pic the lovely sepia toning the two others received ? I think they would make a lovely tryptich !

C U
    Rafael

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Beautifully seen and I agree that you caught them just right. My favorite is the first one, too, though I do like all three very much. Many thanks for posting them here.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    All three are great, but I especially love #2

6. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Nicely composed and exposure managed images.

For fun, especially with these dark shots, you can use a tripod in these studied situations, exposure bracket over 1/3 EV on five separate shots, then combine them all in a dynamic range processor like Artizen or Photomatrics for one well developed photograph with lots of depth. You can also emphasize whatever you like in colour curve manipulation. If you look at the intervention C&C posts on 'Houghton Mills' on mu-43 you will see a bit of what I am talking about.... there, the foreground was underexposed relative to the evening sky, and the photo was brought back to life using the foregoing methods. It did not look processed in the end, just full of life.

Not to say this is what you were intending in your work here. I sometimes shoot for the 2 dimensional plane in scenes like this myself, when depth is totally ignored.

I am just getting into this stuff myself, and am no expert. But many on this Site can help if you need it.

Bokeh D

7. GaryCh

GaryCh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    I love them all. My favourite must be #1 and then #3... but then #2 has a wonderfully bleak tone to it which appeals to me too.

You've really captured so much mood here it's astonishing. May I ask where they were taken ?

-Gary

8. earlysummer84

earlysummer84 New to Mu-43

Apr 26, 2010
    Wow, such oustanding photos. i like walking in the moring fog. It's alittle cold.

9. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    fine shots , and proper exposure is the first challenge in any photo , and these are good

10. GaryCh

GaryCh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    Actually, I just keep thinking that the second shot SO deserves to be in Herman's 'show silence' thread : )

Fantastic stuff.

-Gary

11. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    They're all beautifully atmospheric, but if pushed I would choose number 2 as my favourite. Can you tell us what settings you used please?

12. Harribo

Harribo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2010
    Lancashire
    Hi all, thanks for your comments, Its good to hear comments from other people before deciding wether or not its a keeper, print them out or even frame them, because I tend to be too critical of my own work.

f6cvalkyrie,
    You are right, I will go back to the original and leave a sepia tone to the 2nd and re-evaluate it.

Bokeh Diem,
    Photomatrics etc, is something im aware of but never got round to experiment with. It would have been interesting to have tried it though in this situation, although would have given a totally different atmosphere to the photos.

GaryCh,
    They were taken by Lake Berwin Reservior in Foulridge, Lancs, last week(ish) and it was freezing fog.

Christilou,
    I always shoot Raw, and were probably in either A or P mode, and experimented using Exposure comp.

Thanks again.

13. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    You are right, the first iterations are superb. Nothing needed beyond that. I think I was just looking at them and saying (out loud unfortunately) that they would be, because of their graphical qualities, good material for PP study.

Bokeh D

14. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

One word - perfect!

I think you got your exposure completely right in all 3 and I love your decision to go with black + white and sepia, in colour I think the photos wouldn't have had as much impact.

Thanks for sharing :)

15. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I really like these photos.. they capture the moment so well!

Just wondering, was the sun overexposed in the colour pictures?

16. Harribo

Harribo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2010
    Lancashire
    The sun was very much shaded by the thick fog so wasnt too much of a case of over exposure. In the colour photos the only strong colour came from the sun, therefore was distracting to the image as a whole, because your eyes tended to be attracted the sun. This is why I went with B&W.

Hope you understand what i am trying to say.

• Like Like x 2
  17. DjordjeJ

DjordjeJ Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Very nice images, 1st especially.

18. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Great work ! I feel the atmosphere.

19. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Duly noted.. that makes sense!

20. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Beautiful work .. its hard to expose in that situation...