More unmodified Infra red shots

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Petrochemist, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I've recently got an 850nm filter and had a brief play at lunchtime today. Foolishly I still haven't sorted out stepping rings so the kit lens was the only part of my ยต4/3 kit I could mount it on - so some otherwise reasonable shots have suffered from a hot spot.

First one hand-held, surprisingly little shake for a 1.6 second shot.

The second more sensibly tripod mounted, shows slight signs of a hot spot - a variant of this which I preferred the framing on being just slightly further left had a much more noticeable hot spot :frown:

Attached Files:

2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Looks like you can get some shots with it though. A little post on the hot spot and it's not a big deal.

What camera?

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Yep, they're unmodified alright! The question is... Why?

I'm not sure that I see a hot spot though. The bright bush on the wall in the first image looks like the closest thing I see to a hotspot, but I'm not certain that it is. Grassy area between the rows of headstones in the cemetery may be, but again, I'm not that certain (and it wouldn't take much to correct it).

What bothers me most in either of these shots is the uglification aspect (the telephone/electric wires in the background).

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    In referring to unmodified I meant the camera, ( a G1). I actually like the surreal look from limited post processing on IR, and I wanted to show how much colour information can be available with an unmodified camera (It suprised me). I certainly agree with you on the wires in the first shot, I should have taken the time to get rid of them.

Those two don't really show the hot spot, though it becomes more noticeable if the gamma is adjusted. It's only a problem with shots like this:

Attached Files:

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I really like that second one.