More toys......

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by robbie36, Nov 22, 2012.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    So with all the talk of unreliable SD cards I was thinking I should get some mobile back up and something that preferably worked with an ipad. Well I didn't find anything ideal but I did come across a couple of interesting products or should I say toys...

First the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA made by the makers of the excellent Hyperjuice 2 100 ( every Mac lover should have one - look it up).

So what is it? Well it is a portable hard disk (up to 1 TB) with its on file management system, 3.2 inch screen to view files and photos, CF and SD card reader, rechargeable battery (2 hour life), built in wifi (ideal for connection to ipad or smartphone) or USB connection to a computer.

So really it does have everything you could ask for from a portable hard disk and a price to match (US249 excl hard disk).

I have to say this product gets some excellent write ups but it didn't really do a whole lot for me. The 3 inch screen was sort of overkill - it is no more than I have on my camera and far less than on my ipad. It is also quite big and then there is the need to carry another power adapter.

The other product I liked rather more although its use for photography is rather debatable.

AirStash®: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPad, iPhone, Kindle Fire, and more

So what is it? Well it's really a glorified thumb drive that takes any SD card (either Sdhc or sdxc) as storage medium. It has a built in rechargeable battery (7 hours) and wifi. It costs US$126 for a unit plus an 8GB card. It is designed to accept cards up to 2 TB although the largest SD card you can buy is 256 GB.

It really can't do that much for you photography wise. It will essentially turn every SD card you own into a wifi card. You simply insert it into the air stash and then you can browse the card and download your photos on your smartphone or ipad.

I actually like the idea of getting a 128 GB card and filling it with movies and TV series. I can then either play them via wifi on my ipad or put it in the USB of my media player. The airstash is tiny and is charged through its USB port. Soon I suspect there will be larger and cheaper cards.
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I have the iPad version of the Hyperdrive and it's my most important travelling accessory. I agree the 3 inch screen isn't very good for viewing images critically, especially if you have an iPad. But it copies cards, really fast and swallows about 100GB on a full charge.

You can charge a Hyperdrive from a USB cable as well as the power supply, so you don't need to carry the power supply when travelling. You need to turn that option on in the settings.

Plus if you carry a laptop it makes a pretty brilliant external drive with the same battery life as a macBook pro or if you get the iPad version you can copy images and movies to your iPad from the drive. (It fools the iPad into thinking it's a memory card).

The other option sounds interesting. How fast is it to copy the images? Am I right in thinking that it doesn't actually back up any data? Do you see any advantage compared to a wifi card?

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    The hyperdrive being able to charge via a USB cable is a big plus.

The speed of the Aiestash I don't know although I have ordered one so I will report back. The card that I ordered it with has read/write speeds of 45mbs so that should be fine. The wifi is 802.11n but the speed you get with this varies so we shall see.

It does have one definite advantage over existing wifi cards. It enables you to choose between 'selective' transfer (select 10 images and download) or 'batch' transfer (all images). The flashair only does selective transfer and the eye-fi has to be set up to do one or other.

It also appears to offer another advantage - namely that you can transfer images from your smart device to your SD card ( which could then be uploaded by another smart device or 'shared'.) How easy and practical this is I don't know.

Theoretically I think you can back up an SD card by transferring images to your ipad and then back onto another SD card. My guess is that the wireless data transfer rate is going to make this too impractical.
  4. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    What kind of iPad do you have? In case you have one of the "older" ones without the new Lighting connector, the camera connection kit (30$) might be the thing for you.

In fact, the iPad, camera connection kit and a couple of SD cards is all I bring when I am on the road. Every evening I take the current SD card out of the cam, transfer the pictures onto the iPad and that's it. Whenever my rather small SD cards (4 & 8GB) are full, I put them in the camera bag and take an empty one.

This has the benefit that I have the original picture on the SD card in the bag, a backup on the iPad (with preview on the iPad) and no additional device to carry around.

Additional note: I do have an 32GB iPad. The 16GB one might be not ideal to use as a backup device. Better to get the 64GB one...
    Note 2: As far as I know, there is no new version of the camera connection kit (for lighting) yet. Hopefully, they update the kit soon.
  5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    So I got the Airstash (with 8GB SD) along with an additional 128 GB SD card. This really is a very nice little product that does what it does extremely well.

AirStash®: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPad, iPhone, Kindle Fire, and more

It is basically a thumb drive with a built in battery and wifi which takes any SD card.

The drive is charged in less than 2 hours in any USB drive and is rated as good for 7 hours. It connects to a pc through its USB port and files can be drag and dropped into the drive or read from it.

The Airstash connects to the ipad via wifi and can be accessed by a number of Apps. For photos you use the Airstash App. This allows you a great deal of control over your photos - far more than either an eye-fi card or Toshiba Flashair.

1) Photos can be imported either selectively by marking thumbnails or as a batch by choosing 'all'.
    2) You can choose to import either 'RAW' or 'jpeg' files (even from a RAW+jpeg shoot).
    3) You can simply browse the photos on the card
    4) You can export your photos from your ipad back out onto the airstash

Really the primarily limit - and it is a big one for many people - is the speed at which 'wifi' itself operates. Airstash connects immediately, is very robust but is no faster than any other wifi. By my tests it takes about 10 minutes to transfer 1GB of data.

The Airstash can also store other media files such as movies and music. The App Cinexplayer will play any movie format MKV, AVI etc from the Airstash - in other words stream directly from the card over wifi. In fact 3 different devices can stream 3 different files from the device at the same time (I tested it with 2). But if you dont want to stream a film for instance, you can always upload it to your device, watch it and then delete it when you are finished.

The Airstash obviously acts a wifi hotspot enabling you to transfer files between your devices or to transfer a file from your device to anyone else. It supposedly works with Android but I havent tested it.

As to its drawback there are a couple but they are mostly related to the operating systems used.
    1) The file structure on the card is FAT32 (a throwback to SDHC). This limits the file size that can be handled to 4GB. This means certain large MKV movie files I have cant be played.
    2) IOS has an irritating procedure that it renames photos that it transfers to your photo library on your ios device. This can cause problems if you sync changes you make to photos across different devices without actually moving the photos. (The only work around this problem I know of is one using the eye-fi card.)
  6. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    If you use an Android tablet, get a USB OTG cable and a card reader... plug it in and transfer files over.

The Airstash looks kinda neat, but when I can do what I just mentioned, I kinda don't need it. I do think I should look into getting a 32GB Nexus 7. My 8GB unit won't allow for much space!