More Than One Way To Skin A Cat

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MajorMagee, Mar 5, 2011.

1. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I took these shots to see how these two legacy lenses would do at catching some detail of an Amaryllis petal. The first was taken with a fairly standard legacy lens, and the second from much closer with the wide angle at it's minimum "macro" focus distance.

100mmf1-8CropMedDenoiseLevelsP3040593.
    Zuiko 50mm f1.8

56mmMacrof2-8LevelsMedDenoiseP3040598sm.
    Sirius 28mm Macro f2.8

I made some edits to get the two images framed the same and the exposures about equal. The 50mm was cropped to 1024 x 768 but left at 100%. The 28mm was down-sampled by a factor of four to 1024 x 768. Probably not a fair test because the two really are designed to do two different things, but being able to get really close seems to trump the longer focal length when it comes to capturing fine detail.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Yay, I thought mine was the only one.

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The bloom has moved and changed a bit since yesterday so I couldn't get the same set-up again, but here are the same couple of petals with a different sort of lens altogether. Once again it's been down-sampled by a factor of four to 1024 x 768.

500mmMacrof8MedDenoiseLevelsP3050607sm.
    Soligor 75-250mm Macro f8

Even in Macro mode I had to be a fair distance back with this big lens to get it in focus. Hand held at 1/20th of a second I was lucky this didn't turn out as just a big blur.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I just picked up another lens today. Again a combination of cropping and just a minor downsampling (by a factor of 1.33) to get roughly the same framing of the petals.

270mmf2-8MedDenoiseLevelsP3070624.
    Sears 135mm f2.8

I've only taken a limited number of quick test shots so far, but I'm impressed with the clarity, and light gathering ability already. Compared to the other lenses that could either do closer focus distances or had a true Macro mode it felt strange being the minimum 5 feet away with this one. Still it was able to resolve roughly the same level of detail.

• Like Like x 1