More statements from JIP

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Interesting and Very ReAssuring when you put comments into wider context. Thank You.

I’ve never been happy with x1.4 and x2.0 tele converters on my Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS, May have only ever taken few dozen shots with them, maybe 36 shots LOL, tend to use that lens for portraits and weddings, not wildlife. Think the extra range on Olympus 40-150mm would better suit any playing with wildlife that I might do In future.

Stop Press - just had my Promotional 25mm f1.2 Pro Approved :). Only wish my November trip to Goa wasn’t cancelled.

If thinking about spending a lot of money on what (in my experience) usually ends up as an entire system - it really is worth borrowing or renting the items which will be most important to you first.

Perhaps I'm biased because I rarely shoot at night - and when I do, it's generally a static subject and I bracket like mad. Many people on this forum will have many, often differing, reasons why MFT is good enough for them.

Regardless of how good I think the EM1 Mk2 is, you still have to operate the camera within its limitations, and advanced as it is, it does not think for you and it certainly doesn't automatically select the best settings for a given subject on a given day.

The Mk3 is definitely not a product that a Nikon shooter can expect to master in a weekend at the seaside. Petapixel's evaluation isn't exactly scientific.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Interesting and Very ReAssuring when you put comments into wider context. Thank You.

I’ve never been happy with x1.4 and x2.0 tele converters on my Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS, May have only ever taken few dozen shots with them, maybe 36 shots LOL, tend to use that lens for portraits and weddings, not wildlife. Think the extra range on Olympus 40-150mm would better suit any playing with wildlife that I might do In future.

Stop Press - just had my Promotional 25mm f1.2 Pro Approved :). Only wish my November trip to Goa wasn’t cancelled.

I got the 25mm freebie. It's a super all-round lens.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Every camera has it‘s limitations. Some are the person holding the device. You need to be in the right place at the right time, be lucky, have enough light, correct settings and away you go. this week, I went to the woods to take dark photos of fallen trees and capture them as moody black and gray shots. My best photo was coming home and finding a puddle surrounded by autumn leaves.

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
5000 soft shots?

I mean, I'm actually really critical of my M43 stuff, and constantly looking at other options (a firesale Nikon Z6 after the holidays perhaps?), but if you only got a few sharp shots out of 5000 then... it's probably not just the camera. Also, from everything I've seen I'm avoiding the MC-20 for my 40-150. The MC-14 might be nice for a good price, but I think I prefer to use the lens naked and get its best quality.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
5000 soft shots?

I mean, I'm actually really critical of my M43 stuff, and constantly looking at other options (a firesale Nikon Z6 after the holidays perhaps?), but if you only got a few sharp shots out of 5000 then... it's probably not just the camera. Also, from everything I've seen I'm avoiding the MC-20 for my 40-150. The MC-14 might be nice for a good price, but I think I prefer to use the lens naked and get its best quality.
Someone recently did a comparison of the 40-150 + TC vs 40-150 + cropping. There wasn't much difference in the end result.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Maybe I've been lucky, but I've not encountered an inherent sharpness problem with any MFT body or lens I've ever owned.

I think it's important to read the whole review. He was shooting with the 40-150mm f2.8, 300mm f4, 1,4x converters. He appears to be shooting surfers and zoo animals. He says ISO3200 isn't good enough (well get a monopod and don't bloody use it then!).

In his closing statement, he again refers to the sensor.

"You can get a D500, a truly phenomenal camera, for less than the Olympus E-M1 Mark III. Sure, it’s a DSLR, but it’s got a bigger sensor and a better autofocus system."

It's a pity that he chose not to publish his sub-par photographs. It would be interesting to see what he was attempting to shoot and how he was attempting to shoot it.
I'm sure for sports that the D500 is a better option - optical viewfinder, better AF (best Nikon does and probably the best full-stop), slightly better noise performance, some great F-mount lenses. However, for other genres, I can't really see how the D500 offers much more. Indeed for landscape use, the Olympus system with its far superior IS and fancy features like livetime, livecomp, liveND etc would set it apart (and of course all the advantages of mirrorless).

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
5000 soft shots?

I think that he (author of Petapixel article) was writing about the fact that less light means also less contrasty edges (less sharp, more soft). So at high ISO lots of details are lost and edges are less pronounced.

But truth is that image part of this review is very vague and amateurish.
Is it really so difficult to demonstrate stated observations with full-res images and comparisons?

Last edited:

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Funny (in an absurd way) thing is that most images in the review have much better resolution but one must open them in new page and then delete this part - "-600x800".

Mike Peters

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Peters
hmmm, could the wisdom acquired be their use be the main reason for getting the best out of the m43 gear in your hands?

The only wisdom I acquired was that the responsibility to pay attention to the limitations of whatever platform I’m using rests with me. It’s important to know what you can and cannot do, be it film or digital. The great thing about digital
Is that your mistakes don’t cost you money. I learn a lot by making many mistakes all the time, even after 45 years of being a photographer.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I belong to 2 photo groups that meet online by zoom each month. We are given a topic and have the opportunity to show 10-12 shots the following month. They are mildly critiqued and changed in LR by our leader at one group. He only knows 4 actions. Most faults are exposure, tilted horizons, especially water, in need of cropping and lack of artistic quality. It is not down to the quality of the camera and glass. The other group had a member who always shot in manual. He could never get the correct exposure, even when bracketing, or at least he said he had bracketed. So he bought another camera system, then a Nikon P1000 Bridge camera that he could not hold steady. M43 cameras and lenses are fine. They do the job.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
What happens about camera updates and the rest in the new year. New Company, no legal requirements to continue old practice.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
What happens about camera updates and the rest in the new year. New Company, no legal requirements to continue old practice.
This highlights the potential problems with an update system that requires a web hook up to update. There is a work around for the camera but not the lenses as far as I know.
I wonder if JIP can get enough trust to continue. It will be a very interesting year in 2021 for us Olympus users

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
The current update is via the "Joint Update Service" which is something the m43 consortium has set up. I'b be surprised if it doesn't continue after the JIP transfer.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
This highlights the potential problems with an update system that requires a web hook up to update. There is a work around for the camera but not the lenses as far as I know.
I wonder if JIP can get enough trust to continue. It will be a very interesting year in 2021 for us Olympus users

I don't think I've ever had to update an Olympus lens.

That's not to say updates don't exist - however, I don't look for firmware updates for things that are working with the system I have.

Jock Elliott

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jock Elliott
I still have a couple of questions that are nagging me.

Did JIP acquire only the camera division?

If so, who will be making the lenses? Olympus has medical and life sciences solutions that are highly dependent on optics. It strikes me that it would be smart if Olympus had the same folks making optics for medical, life sciences, and cameras.

Now that the camera division is peeling off, it would be nice to know that the same good people who had been making those nice Olympus lenses will continue to make those lenses, no?

Cheers, Jock

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I still have a couple of questions that are nagging me.

Did JIP acquire only the camera division?

If so, who will be making the lenses? Olympus has medical and life sciences solutions that are highly dependent on optics. It strikes me that it would be smart if Olympus had the same folks making optics for medical, life sciences, and cameras.

Now that the camera division is peeling off, it would be nice to know that the same good people who had been making those nice Olympus lenses will continue to make those lenses, no?

Cheers, Jock
Not only the camera division. Everything except the medical devices if I remember correctly.

SilverShutter

Mu-43 Regular
I think JIP have acquired the Olympus Imaging Division. I think it also includes the manufacturing facilities.

I seem to remember hearing something when the news broke out months ago about the optical experts moving into the Olympus medical division. If so, it's to wonder how that would affect the production of current lenses, and obviously impact future ones. Perhaps they may externalise fully into third party manufactures like Sigma, who I believe already designed and manufacture the 75mm 1.8 optical elements.

Latest threads

Top Bottom