More statements from JIP

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
OK folks, I'll try not to get enthused when I read about all the possible higher MP m43 sensors that might be coming down the pike and that diffraction isn't really an issue, etc...

I agree that any big enhancement of the E-M1.3 would have stepped on the E-M1X's toes, but I was kind of thinking that maybe they would do it anyway (and that even maybe they were not going to produce any more E-M1Xs). Anyway, as I said earlier, I have major GAS about the E-M1.3, and it's still a fine camera (as is my E-M10.2!).

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
OK folks, I'll try not to get enthused when I read about all the possible higher MP m43 sensors that might be coming down the pike and that diffraction isn't really an issue, etc...

I agree that any big enhancement of the E-M1.3 would have stepped on the E-M1X's toes, but I was kind of thinking that maybe they would do it anyway (and that even maybe they were not going to produce any more E-M1Xs). Anyway, as I said earlier, I have major GAS about the E-M1.3, and it's still a fine camera (as is my E-M10.2!).
And I've just bought an 8 y.o. E-PM2. Much of the guts of the extremely capable E-M5 MkI in a truly tiny form factor.

I can already tell that the IBIS is rubbish (so leave it on ISO 400-800), even compared with my 2007 E-510, but the rest of it is superb.

Did I mention that it's tiny? With the 14-42 EZ mounted, it will fit in a polo shirt pocket (just ... ). The lens has the JJC auto-opening lens cap.

I must try not to confuse it with my E-M1 MkII + 12-100 ... :rofl: :roflmao: .

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
I remember when I was talking with a gallery owner about participating in a group exhibition a few years ago and he asked me how many megapixels my camera has, and I told him 7 megapixels, he just sighed. Maybe 20 megapixels isn't so bad for 20-inch prints.

Of course, more detail was one of the reasons I finally decided to move on from the C-7070, and that is what made me think about a higher quality lens like 12-100mm and sync IS with E-M1 mk2. The extra stop of IS is also why I kinda wish I had E-M1 mk3 sometimes.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@doady I've got a couple of 20 inch prints hanging. They're excellent.

Taken with my 5 MPx E-1 ...

Prejudice is always alive and well in human affairs, unfortunately.

BTW, the E-M1 MkII + 12-100 is simply superb.

Yup
When I first started shooting film, there were magazines that did not take your pic, if it were not shot on 4x5 sheet film.

Last edited:
I am. Notice the reference to battery issues. Batteries for mirrorless cameras are getting better now faster than they were in the past. If better batteries allow the camera makers to shrink the bodies, that will likely have a greater effect on sales than putting a new sensor in the camera.

Virtually all cameras provide generally good quality now. The megapixel race or sensor age doesn't really matter if the image quality is there. In fact, adding more megapixels creates other problems - with more, you now have increased the storage requirements - which could potentially delay sales more as people wait to update their computers. Otherwise, they get the camera home, fiddle with humongous JPEGs or RAW files and may decide it's not for them - and go running back to their smartphones... right?

If JIP wants to sell more cameras, I can't see them moving to a higher-resolution providing much incentive to the general camera buying public as quickly as something quirky, fun, and connectable.

There's a balance always in play.

”More connectable” just killed the battery gains.

The lack of ready connectivity is a large part as to why ILCs are getting chewed up even by smartphones.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu

And they do need to bring out the new sensor eventually - even if it kills the E-M1X sales (which it won't). And even then everyone would know there will be the E-M1XII behind the corner anyway.

It's far better to sell their own number two cameras instead of the flagship to customers than let the customers buy into competitors' systems which is exactly what would happen unless they constantly improve their bodies. If you will not cannibalize your sales someone else will - with a smile on their face.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
And they do need to bring out the new sensor eventually - even if it kills the E-M1X sales (which it won't). And even then everyone would know there will be the E-M1XII behind the corner anyway.

It's far better to sell their own number two cameras instead of the flagship to customers than let the customers buy into competitors' systems which is exactly what would happen unless they constantly improve their bodies. If you will not cannibalize your sales someone else will - with a smile on their face.
Teemu, Olympus had a long track record of doing exactly what you are suggesting.

E-30 better than the E-1, etc. Not frightened of 'undercutting' their own flagship models. Then releasing a better flagship model - E-3 just after E-30.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku

Yeah, of course. I just thought it made no sense to make it much better than E-M1X, when that camera had been on the market only for about a year. I didn't even anticipate E-M1 III at that point as it was pretty fast upgrade. They made E-M1 III a mini-E-M1X, which had a few upgrades (and lacked some of its special features) but nothing too big. Perfectly logical to me.

In E-M5 & E-M1 series cameras the sensor upgrade from 16MP to 20MP PDAF took about 4,5 years, since the introduction of 16MP sensor. 20MP PDAF sensor was released at the end of 2016. If we look at that timeframe, we could expect a new sensor 2021-2022 onwards. I think that fits the upgrade cycles of cameras (all their cameras are quite new currently), or they could introduce it with PEN-F II if it comes. Naturally I would think the new sensor will be in GH6 first.

Last edited:

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Teemu, Olympus had a long track record of doing exactly what you are suggesting.

E-30 better than the E-1, etc. Not frightened of 'undercutting' their own flagship models. Then releasing a better flagship model - E-3 just after E-30.
The E-30 came some time after the E-3, with improved features such as micro-fine adjust AF & of course, the first Art Filters. ;) It also came as a kit with the 14-54 II lens too (that was CD-AF compatible, Live View AF).
Did you mean the E-300 was better than the E-1?

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
The E-30 came some time after the E-3, with improved features such as micro-fine adjust AF & of course, the first Art Filters. ;) It also came as a kit with the 14-54 II lens too (that was CD-AF compatible, Live View AF).
Did you mean the E-300 was better than the E-1?
Ross, at this remove, and with the pain in my TMJ, you are probably quite right. Fortunately, I only ever need the dentist about every 3-4 years :) .

I've now got osteoporosis to add to my osteoarthritis. Start Prolia once my teeth have been brought up to scratch.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate

No, that was the Old Olympus, full of deceit and broken promises. This time it is different.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu

That was a lifetime ago. :)
Heck, they're even crippling E-M5s because they - for some reason - fear that E-M5s would eat E-M1 sales! Only one C-slot in mode dial, not able to backup the settings on PC etc.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
You could always claim 2 flagship models, thus the EM1X would not be undercut until a new one in white appeared. The EM1X Pro.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
That was a lifetime ago. :)
Heck, they're even crippling E-M5s because they - for some reason - fear that E-M5s would eat E-M1 sales! Only one C-slot in mode dial, not able to backup the settings on PC etc.
Maybe I'm thinking of the E-30 just before the E-5. IIRC, the E-30 was used as a test bed for the AF module in the E-5.

But you're right, it was a long time ago.

I also disagree with the all too common practice of dumbing down cameras.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Maybe I'm thinking of the E-30 just before the E-5. IIRC, the E-30 was used as a test bed for the AF module in the E-5.

But you're right, it was a long time ago.

I also disagree with the all too common practice of dumbing down cameras.
When the E-30 was introduced I was using an E-520 & drooled over having something 'bigger & better' & the lens looked good too. It was a toss up between the 14-54 II or the 12-60 SWD (which was double the price) & I went for the 14-54 II lens for its Live View ability & used it on my E-520. A year later I bought a used E-30 (the next camera I bought was the E-M5).

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Actually this might be the place for this.

"OM Digital talks about its future: Lens roadmap will be updated this summer. New lenses and cameras (including flagship model) will be announced in 2021.

OM Digital had this Japanese live stream session for the CP+ show. DClife summed up the talk and here is the google translated text from it:

OM Digital Statement of Belief

• Independent from Olympus, but to keep customers picking up attractive products
  • With the support of Japan Industrial Partners (JIP), we will develop and sell new products as planned so far.
Micro Four Thirds Declaration

• We promise to continue the Micro Four Thirds System
  • The company has changed and the company name has changed, but the underlying development philosophy is inherited.
  • The idea of Yoneya, who developed “OM” and “PEN”, has been passed down from film to digital and mirrorless.
  • Even if it becomes a new company, we will expand the Micro Four Thirds system based on this idea.
Origin and product composition of OM Digital company name

• Just because the company name has “OM” does not mean that it specializes in “OM-D”.
  • “Professional dictation products (medical, legal, financial, government-related software)” will continue, mainly overseas, including “PEN”, “Tough”, and “IC recorder”.
  • “OM” is the origin that symbolizes our idea
  • “OM” is an attitude of always taking on challenges and creating new things.
  • “M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO” is a product that embodies our thoughts and commitment, and I am truly grateful that we received more responses and orders than expected.
  • It is a proof that we have supported our ideas and systems with many customers, and we have great confidence.
Roadmap as planned

• It has taken some time before the delivery of “M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO”, but development and manufacturing are proceeding as planned.
  • We will continue to introduce attractive lenses and cameras this year along with the lens roadmap updated last summer.
Creating new value

• I talked about the development concept that I inherited from the Olympus era, but I do not simply continue to make the same things as before.
  • We will continue our efforts to create new value while maintaining our ideas and attitudes.
  • This market is not optimistic, but technology continues to evolve
  • The evolution of devices such as sensors and engines, as well as the evolution of control and image processing, will realize new shooting styles.
  • New technologies like AI are also important
  • We are proud that the powerful IBIS, high-resolution shot, subject recognition AF, etc. are already installed in our compact and lightweight system and contribute to expanding the shooting range of photographers.
  • I’m not satisfied with that, and I’m looking ahead to development
  • We promise to take over what we will take over for the customers who support us and take on the challenge of new initiatives to further increase the value we provide.
I can’t say forever or forever, but I will use the Olympus logo for the time being.

• For the time being, we will use the Olympus product name with the meaning of the message to our customers who have been using it habitually (the attitude of manufacturing does not change).
  • I’m not at the stage where I can talk about such things forever or forever, but I will reassure customers and then change accordingly if a new attitude is needed.
  • For the time being, we have received permission to use the name of Olympus, and we plan to use it.
Direction of product manufacturing and technology

• It’s not a technology for technology, but in order to expand the shooting area, I’ve been doing various things until now as to whether I can take pictures that I could not take before.
  • If the original image is not good, you cannot take good pictures, so I would like to continue to make “good lenses”, not only good performance but also good lenses that remove restrictions that could not be taken so far.
  • I would like to pursue further in the areas of “image processing” and “image recognition”.
  • I want to improve my digital technology, rather than computational photography, which makes it easy to take pictures that I couldn’t take without various techniques.
  • We are currently doing various preparations to match it, so please look forward to it.
  • It is not research for research, but there is an assumed product and we are moving toward it
Independent, free of restrictions, all can be decided by ourselves

• It would be a lie to say that there were no major or minor restrictions in terms of delivering added value.
  • There are no restrictions as it is one company from now on
  • On the other hand, there are resources that are allowed because it was a large company (Olympus), and of course deficit is not allowed as long as the company becomes independent.
  • You can decide for yourself where to spend your budget, where to keep it, and what to offer as a result.
  • We are all thinking about whether we can provide new value within the new framework.
I want to utilize the technology in different fields I want to work with various partners

• After having a camera and a lens, there may be something that the manufacturer can offer further.
  • Activities that involve photographic culture
  • I want to try it because I can decide this area by myself
  • We have optical technology, digital technology, and voice technology, and we are interested in a new company that can be diverted to other fields.
  • At the time of Olympus, it was difficult to talk about it, but from now on, I can do anything, so I think I can make use of optical technology, digital technology, and voice technology in different fields and genres.
  • I would like to work actively with various partners to create new value as needed.
  • Previously, Olympus permission was required
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO About supply shortage

• Not meeting demand does not mean that there is a problem
  • The number of products produced per day is limited and cannot be delivered.
  • I want to make it clear that there is no quality problem
  • There is a high demand for individual parts only for lenses that contain 28 lenses in 18 groups and that support a focal length of up to 1000 mm in the 35 mm equivalent.
  • A lens that is extremely severe, such as the optical axis, takes time to make parts, and the adjustment process is strict, and structurally requires extremely high precision.
  • It’s a flagship lens so you can’t compromise on quality
  • Therefore, the amount of lenses that can be made in a day is limited.
  • We are steadily producing the fixed amount, so if you wait, you can be sure to get it, and we can promise to deliver good quality products.
  • I can’t increase production right now, so I hope you can wait.
150-400mm Message from the development team

• “M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO” is not only a lens with high specs, but also a lens that the development team is very particular about.
  • I’m wondering about 1000mm and the 8-step effect of camera shake correction, but I’m developing it with great attention to operability.
  • It’s really adjusted in millimeters, so please pick it up and feel the particularity of that area.
Suggesting multiple new products including flagship models Launched to the extent that there is not too much space

• I can’t talk about the specific time
  • It’s not just one, but I want to launch various series, lenses, next flagship models, etc. so that there is not too much space between them.
  • I will put out something that people can say that it was really good to use
  • This is not only enthusiasm, but there are things that are progressing properly according to the schedule
  • Please look forward to it!"
https://www.43rumors.com/om-digital...ing-flagship-model-will-be-announced-in-2021/

along the German interview floating around, at last we hear something that makes some sense after all that silence in the previous months that was deafening and disheartening

I only wonder if it is too late but I guess I shall just have to wait and see if their next cards are enough to save the game

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Independent, free of restrictions, all can be decided by ourselves
  • You can decide for yourself where to spend your budget, where to keep it, and what to offer as a result.

Of course there is now a minor restriction of where to get this budget in the first place.

During their last year as a part of Olympus proper, camera unit managed to burn through USD200+ million.

On the positive side, Olympus did just release their Q3 financial report where they made a staggering 44,7 billion Yen writedown (USD420 million) due to divestiture of imaging business which sounds a *lot* like the time when BMW sold Rover to bunch of "businessmen" for £10. In reality BMW paid them nearly half a billion quid to take Rover off their hands and keep it running long enough for Beemer to disappear behind the corner.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom