More statements from JIP

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Olympus North America has provided their own update to those of us on the email list confirming that most of the staff have moved from Olympus to OM-D and are continuing on and "looking forward..."

err..., “to the pavement starting to move towards the upright position aiming at our company’s face” ??? (...well, I apologize for the black thoughts but the past years of Oly presence in Greece leave few positive ones)

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
err..., “to the pavement starting to move towards the upright position aiming at our company’s face” ??? (...well, I apologize for the black thoughts but the past years of Oly presence in Greece leave few positive ones)
A new email? Is that a poetic way to say that the company is performing a faceplant?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The contraction we see now, caused largely by smartphones, is unprecedented because in the past, most market swings oscillated between P&S and more advanced SLRs and RFs. The bedrock was always the volume of P&S models at least keeping the lights on.
Just a small correction. Depending on how you look at it, camera sales and number of pictures (and video clips) average user take have entered exponential growth phase. They have literally exploded off the chart.

https://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2017/03/camerasalesfeat-800x420.jpg

We should think smartphones as nothing more than just one new digital camera type because this is the way average consumer sees them. It's not consumers fault that camera manufacturers didn't realize that imaging will be the key selling point of smartphones and conquered this "camera" segment too.

Consumers don't feel any need to buy a camera because they just bought a very expensive one which also connects them to social media. Apparently it also supports some form of audio communication like those wired things grandparents used to have.

Petapixel/CIPA chart tells the real reason why camera manufacturers are strugling financially: their real cash cow - all non-ILC models - have imploded from over 100 000 000 units per year (!) to practically zero in ten years.

ILC sales are actually increasing modestly and average sales price is higher than ever but there's no way a 8 million units per year business could be financially as sound as 8 million + 100 million units business it used to be some 7-8 years ago.

Last edited:

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just a small correction. Depending on how you look at it, camera sales and number of pictures (and video clips) average user take have entered exponential growth phase. They have literally exploded off the chart.

https://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2017/03/camerasalesfeat-800x420.jpg

We should think smartphones as nothing more than just one new digital camera type because this is the way average consumer sees them. It's not consumers fault that camera manufacturers didn't realize that imaging will be the key selling point of smartphones and conquered this "camera" segment too.

Consumers don't feel any need to buy a camera because they just bought a very expensive one which also connects them to social media. Apparently it also supports some form of audio communication like those wired things grandparents used to have.

Petapixel/CIPA chart tells the real reason why camera manufacturers are strugling financially: their real cash cow - all non-ILC models - have imploded from over 100 000 000 units per year (!) to practically zero in ten years.

ILC sales are actually increasing modestly and average sales price is higher than ever but there's no way a 8 million units per year business could be financially as sound as 8 million + 100 million units business it used to be some 7-8 years ago.
I'm sorry, but any business that has had 8-10 years of warning that their financial model is not sustainable, doesn't deserve to be in business. Good riddance I say

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm sorry, but any business that has had 8-10 years of warning that their financial model is not sustainable, doesn't deserve to be in business. Good riddance I say
I came across a very interesting piece of information about camera manufacturers and smartphones. This old news from 2012 has two very familiar names: Olympus and JIP but first a word about a much familiar name in this business.

Most people might know that consumer electronics giant Sony, the market leader in mirrorless cameras and de facto monopoly in camera sensors is also making very expensive high-end smartphones. They entered this market the same way as they did with ILC business: buying declining smartphone business from another company. Ericsson in this case.

It's almost impossible to understand how Sony, with all their resources in audio, video, gaming, cameras and smartphone sensors, somehow managed to totally screw up their Xperia business to the point where you need a zero and a decimal point to present their global market share. Flat zero has been enough to present their share of smarphone revenue for last couple of years. Apparently smartphones and ILC cameras will not fit under same roof.

But who did know that Olympus once had a mobile telecommunication unit called ITX corp which they sold to * drumroll, please* JIP ...who then promptly relieved this business from it's assets and sold it to somebody else after a couple of years,

https://www.reuters.com/article/oly...itx-to-fund-for-676-mln-idUSL4E8JO23C20120824

Last edited:

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
It's not a financial model, though.

The exact same thing happened in the 80s when SLR manufacturing grew four times it's size in the late 70s until about 1991, when the bottom dropped out as everyone put away their SLRs and bought auto-focus P&S cameras. Suddenly, camera companies had all that ILC manufacturing and nobody to buy those cameras. Companies like Kyocera and Tamron were on the right side, OEM'ing cameras and lens-sets for virtually EVERY brand of P&S camera.

That kept going when P&S went digital.

They all knew it was coming again.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
But who did know that Olympus once had a mobile telecommunication unit called ITX corp which they sold to * drumroll, please* JIP ...who then promptly stipped down this business and sold it to somebody else after a couple of years,
ITX was a bit different. The Japanese were convinced they could do the "Blackberry thing" better than Blackberry/RIM. ITX was the company that was supposed to make it happen. It was too little, too late.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Latest statement from OM Digital Solutions - a little ambiguous ?

https://www.43rumors.com/chief-tech...is-year-including-one-that-will-make-you-wow/

Promising after reading the headline but then
Will there be any new cameras or lenses in the near future?
No, I never said that (laughs). I believe that it is our mission as a manufacturer to release new products. That’s why we’re coming out! I can’t tell you when, but we are working on it. Naturally, there will be more than one product, so there will be products that will make you say, “Oh!”

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Unless the wow-product is a 25-75mm f/1.8 lens - which is highly unlikely - it has to be a new top of the line body. E-MXR/E-M1R with the new ~40MP sensor perhaps?

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Latest statement from OM Digital Solutions - a little ambiguous ?
Even if OMDS folds at least Mr. Kataoka can make a new career in politics. He already knows how to get through an entire interview without saying anything.

We can't blame him, though, because questions were set in a way that practically begs for totally useless answers.
Like this one: "Is it possible to release a camera like the PEN-F at a price that would be profitable?"

Heck, yes. Just set the price to $5000 and it's instantly profitable. (Not that we are ever going to launch one but luckily you didn't ask that)

Any career polician would be proud of the answer Mr. Kataoka actually gave to this question not the mention the gem he coined for the very clear yes/no question "If the company doesn’t return to profitability, will it be sold by JIP?"

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Unless the wow-product is a 25-75mm f/1.8 lens - which is highly unlikely - it has to be a new top of the line body. E-MXR/E-M1R with the new ~40MP sensor perhaps?
Or it could be an E-M10 Mark V that goes backwards the way the Mark III went vs the II. So, with the Mark V, it will have 12MP and MORE art filters and scene modes!! That would make me say "Wow" for sure! :dance2: Actually, what he said is somewhat intriguing, I think. Must be a new E-MX...

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The WOW comment was referring to a new body this fall. It could be a new PEN-F or maybe something completely different.

Based on the comments from the interview it sounds like we will see more new lenses than bodies. This makes sense since all current bodies have been updated in the past 24 months.

There was specific mention of filling a gap in the wide to normal range lens range. This was likely in reference to the 8-25 in the roadmap. I am almost certain that we will see this lens announced in the next couple months

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The WOW comment was referring to a new body this fall. It could be a new PEN-F or maybe something completely different.
If you look at the comments in the link, there's a full transcript of the interview. Original question was about both new lenses and/or bodies and Mr Kataoka did systematically use word "product" so it was not clear which one he meant in any part of his answer.

Mr Kataoka did indeed say that OMDS will launch ...something... "Withing the year" but never said that these "products" will be camera bodies and explicitly refused to give any exact launch schedule.

There was also this very important question in the original interview:

"--But if the Micro Four Thirds camera market becomes smaller, is it possible that semiconductor manufacturers will stop making sensors?

Kataoka: I don't think there's any need to worry about that, because we order the sensor, pay the development costs, and they make the sensor.
"

So, getting a new high-end MFT sensor with your custom cross AF sites is just as simple as ordering a pizza? Make one phone call and deliveries will start rolling in. Unfortunately I don't think so.

Unless Olympus made this call and upfront payment a couple of years ago, OMDS will not get a new sensor anytime soon. Chances are that Olympus did just that in 2017 or 2018. Before the overall market implosion and FF avalance Olympus and Panasonic had certainly plans to launch the next high-end MFT body generation around 2020 and both were likely negotiating with Sony about their own variant of the MFT sensor design which is currently available only as "industrial" IMX492

Last edited:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
If you look at the comments in the link, there's a full transcript of the interview. Original question was about both new lenses and/or bodies and Mr Kataoka did systematically use word "product" so it was not clear which one he meant in any part of his answer.

Mr Kataoka did indeed say that OMDS will launch ...something... "Withing the year" but never said that these "products" will be camera bodies and explicitly refused to give any exact launch schedule.

There was also this very important question in the original interview:

"--But if the Micro Four Thirds camera market becomes smaller, is it possible that semiconductor manufacturers will stop making sensors?

Kataoka: I don't think there's any need to worry about that, because we order the sensor, pay the development costs, and they make the sensor.
"

So, getting a new high-end MFT sensor with your custom cross AF sites is just as simple as ordering a pizza? Make one phone call and deliveries will start rolling in. Unfortunately I don't think so.

Unless Olympus made this call and upfront payment a couple of years ago, OMDS will not get a new sensor anytime soon. Chances are that Olympus did just that in 2017 or 2018. Before the overall market implosion and FF avalance Olympus and Panasonic had certainly plans to launch the next high-end MFT body generation around 2020 and both were likely negotiating with Sony about their own variant of the MFT sensor design which is currently available only as "industrial" IMX492
A Large Meat pizza with pineapple, anchovy and cheese please. Before 2022. No promises, no lies, no sellouts. I trust you.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank

Again, you're extrapolating what people have said on other forums and blogs. How do you know sensor companies are not receptive to orders OMDS may put in for a new sensor? "I can't be possible." "Nobody cares about OMDS." "Who would give them a sensor at supposedly low yield?" Someone will - and it will probably be Sony.

If the entire ILC imaging market is essentially imploding due to lack of consumer demand, do you not believe sensor manufacturers can also scale down and offer smaller yields if an order comes in that way? We are now almost 20 years on from the first reasonably priced digital ILCs.

I'm pretty sure they can, and they will.

I bet every sensor house is figuring out a way to give their clients what they want on much smaller yields. It's only money.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom