More statements from JIP

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Not being at all finance-savvy, I'd say it sounds OK, more-or-less. Concentrating on business-oriented products like video surveillance (even in m43 format) isn't going to do much for us photographers, but if it keeps the flow of money coming in, seems like it would be a good thing.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
The new owners can and will say anything but the future will show what really happens. I like what they said in the interview but in the end it's just words. If they can improve in the video field Oly might have a chance of gaining market ground.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Glad they look like using Olympus Vietnam plant for manufacture as I doubt JIP could raise the funds and or run a quality manufacturing plant for camera with no experience.

With regard to the statement below I wonder if any Olympus staff would volunteer to move to JIP. Having gone through this myself a few time a really feel sorry for the employees.

Anyway some good news, even though it may be just propaganda at this stage is better than bad news.

----------------Copied from linked article---------------
The issue with human resources:
It has not been decided whether all human resources in the video business will move to the new company.
JIP is negotiating with Olympus to acquire talent along with acquisition
------------------End of copy---------------

This self-confidence is underpinned by the success of the PC “VAIO” business. It returned to profitability in the fiscal year ended May 2016, and has continued to increase profits every fiscal year.
Oh? Well good.

Unlike the “VAIO”, there is no plan to withdraw from the overseas market, and they will continue to sell overseas such as in Europe, which is their “main market”. They also plan to keep using the new fab in Vietnam.
Oh? Well good.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
One thing that concerns me a bit is not what we think but what do third part manufacturers like Godox and lens manufacturers think? Will it be worth it to them to risk continued manufacturing for an uncertain market segment.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
One thing that concerns me a bit is not what we think but what do third part manufacturers like Godox and lens manufacturers think? Will it be worth it to them to risk continued manufacturing for an uncertain market segment.
It's a calculated risk for any third party manufacturer of any third party accessory. If you make something to interact with someone else's product, you have no control over whether or not they continue with their item.

Real Name
Roel
There will be still a market for m43 even if both Olympus and Panasonic would not launch any new camera bodies and/or lenses. So why not still sell products as the R&D is already payed for?

New lenses are a different story, but in my opinion this has little to do with the "future" of m43 and more with the very complete lens line up (first and third party) m43 already has to offer.

So regardless of the future of m43 I expect third parties already have shifted focus to the new mirrorless mounts (e.g. Nikon Z, Canon RF and Panasonic S) as there is more opportunity to release and sell lenses to people moving to these new mounts (and fill the gaps in the first party lens line up).

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
A business has no future if it loses money. Panasonic may subsidise the camera division by selling TV’s. There is a wealth of m43 lenses to buy. There are a number of unsold bodies available for good prices. I may buy a G9 if nothing new and suitable is released. However, there are other brands and cameras available. It is not the end of the world if new m43 products become unavailable.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Veteran
This was genuinely funny:

This self-confidence is underpinned by the success of the PC “VAIO” business. It returned to profitability in the fiscal year ended May 2016, and has continued to increase profits every fiscal year

Sony sold Vaio brand to JIP in 2014 and the next time anyone anywhere heard about Vaio again was in 2018 when this logo appeard on the cover of a generic OEM laptop which JIP tried to sell on premium thanks to olde-worlde premium brand.

Since JIP never even tried to sell Vaio laptops in Europe, our US counterparts might be able to tell whether they
a) do even recall this brand anymore, let alone
b) have actually purchased one lately.

Assuming that Sony actually paid JIP to take over this business as is typical in these cases and JIP invested exactly $125 in R&D (i.e. ordered Vaio logo to be printed on an off-the-shelf laptop), it was indeed a profitable move for JIP but pre-2014 VAIO customers might not have been that excited about the outcome.

Disclaimer: I was happy with the quality of my 2007 Sony Vaio laptop but thanks to low end processor for the price and Windows Vista (sic) I was able to not only brew coffee while waiting it to boot up but actually grow and roast coffee beans as well. It did serve me well for years with Ubuntu Linux though.

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There will be still a market for m43 even if both Olympus and Panasonic would not launch any new camera bodies and/or lenses. So why not still sell products as the R&D is already payed for?
Because R&D costs are only a small portion. You don't get to manufacture, market, and sell a product for free just because you invested R&D dollars in it. Many products are killed after investing R&D dollars because that is what R&D is about, researching and developing to see if you might have something worthwhile to invest future money in to actually produce and sell. Many R&D products do not make it much further than R&D.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Olympus into the video market. Is this a new thing? Like Betamax and VHS, have they got the money, forget it.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
The new owners can and will say anything but the future will show what really happens. I like what they said in the interview but in the end it's just words. If they can improve in the video field Oly might have a chance of gaining market ground.
Always true... But while we can only wait and see whether this is truth or lies, it still beats hearing some coffin-nailing bad news...

The only new information was the idea of focusing on video, to include video markets for businesses. I hope that doesn’t mean JIP plans to abandon Olympus’ existing photography technologies and potential.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Besides product name/brand recognition, JIP has 3 very important divisions of Olympus that they need to negotiate for, takeover, or setup on their own if they want this to work: R&D/Engineering, Manufacturing and Distribution.

JIP comment today regarding employees was “JIP is negotiating with Olympus to acquire talent along with acquisition.” Hopefully this means R&D/engineering personal, plus maybe some marketing/sales people.

The JIP statement about manufacturing “They also plan to keep using the new fab in Vietnam”, left it unclear if JIP buying the Vietnam factory, leasing it and the employees, or simply buying products from Olympus for now? Since Endoscopes, which are 51% of Olympus total worldwide sales, are made in the Vietnam plant too but also in 4 other Japanese plants, will the sale of the Imaging products factory be part of the deal?

Finally no mention was made with regards to distribution, other than they plan on continuing to sell in markets other than Japan. The distribution of Olympus Imaging products is done through 100% wholly owned Olympus subsidies, that also distribute the 94.5% of other products that Olympus makes besides cameras and lenses. (Imaging products are 5.5% of Olympus total business in FY 2020). How exactly is JIP going to distribute Imaging products in the US, Europe and other overseas markets? I see 3 possible solutions; they use the existing Olympus Divisions and either sell the finished product to Olympus for them to continue to distribute, or possibly pay a percentage fee to Olympus for handling to do the same? They could rent out space in the existing Olympus facilities and lease/hire the existing employees, but be on the books for the costs. Or JIP could set up their own distribution, possibly with let go knowledgeable former Olympus workers.

As @grcolts said, Only time will tell.

Last edited:

BDR-529

Mu-43 Veteran
Finally no mention was made with regards to distribution, other than they plan on continuing to sell in markets other than Japan.
Since JIP wanted to mention VAIO, let's do so. Even today there's a big separate box in VAIO website for pre-2014 laptops when you select support tab. This link points directly to Sony support website because Sony still provides service for their own VAIO products which are totally separate from whatever JIP has been selling under VAIO logo since spin-off.

JIP has actually signed a contract with Nexstgo Company Limited (ODM house) for design, manufacturing and distribution in Asia. This is the place where they get off-the-shelf laptops with "VAIO" printed on them, manufacturing, distribution and even service for whole Asia.
Another contract was signed with Trans Cosmos (specialized in outsourced IT services) for distribution and service in US

The only thing JIP does is to manage the VAIO brand which they don't even own becuse Sony never sold it. Sony only leased VAIO brand to JIP but never allowed New Company to use Sony name anywhere in their products. This is equivalent to Olympus leasing Zuiko and OM-D to New Company and then running for the hills.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom