1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

More restrictions on photography!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by cstevens, Apr 24, 2013.

1. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That sucks, but I'd be willing to bet that enforcement is going to be spotty at best. The article points out some good examples of fixed-lens cameras that look more like DSLRs than many mirrorless cameras do. I would bet that you could get a E-PLx, E-PMx or GFx with a pancake lens past the security folks.

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    WHAT!!!!!???? You've gotta be kidding!!!! I sure hope they kick all the pros out! (Yeah, right, that'll happen - that may be the stimulus for the edict.)

4. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Kentucky Derby will lose half their attendees with that edict and will soon relent.

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Clueless folks in position to make rules make stupid rules ... nothing new here.

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This seems like a stretch. I don't think serious amateur photographers make up a huge percentage of derby attendees.

InfieldDerbyHats. 250 /> [​IMG]250 />

7. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013

LOL,

... But who took those photos?

(is that a 100-300 I see underneath one of the orange hats?)

8. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I suppose if it is a private event held on private property they can make what rules they like, but from a security perspective it makes no sense. Mobile phones are far more dangerous, they can be used to coordinate or detonate.....

In fact, if there was a serious breach of security the guy with the foot long lens on a DSLR might well be the one to take the crucial picture of a suspect fleeing.

9. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Maybe that's the point.

10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't think "photographer's rights" is a preferred topic here.

And another thing, whatever you do, don't snap Beyonce with an ILC at the Derby! You'll be in double-dipping trouble if you do...