1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

More problems with autofocus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chistreetstyle, Apr 28, 2011.

1. chistreetstyle

chistreetstyle New to Mu-43

Mar 5, 2011
    I updated the camera (and lens) firmware as recommended to me in an earlier thread.

And yet, my E-PL1 still has trouble focusing properly and my shots can be hit or miss on a cloudy day. Now that I am becoming a professional photographer I need them ALL to be hits. What I mean is that the background is in focus but the person is not. Which is THE OPPOSITE of what I want. I move the autofocus box around depending on where I want it to focus and it doesn't make a difference.

What am I doing wrong? Am I standing too close to my subjects? Since I use a Panasonic Lumix lens 20mm f/1.7, and I like to get super shallow depth of field, I have to stand fairly close to my subject to get the background to be crisp since the Lumix doesn't allow for zooming.

Any thoughts?

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    What are your autofocus settings?

3. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Did you set the epl1 to the small af box?

4. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
  5. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard

Horse, cart - cart, horse

If you can't sort this out yourself, I would have to say you are nit ready to be a pro photographer - sorry to be so blunt, but being a pro carries with it certain responsibilities to your customers and to other pro's.

6. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Forget pro. Try RTM.

7. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    How close is close ?

If you put everything back to Auto presumably its fine (unless close is too close) ?

Brian Mosley has a great set of introductory videos for the e-p2 (similar menus to the e-pl1) which are worth viewing to familiarise yourself with the options

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/user/alertbri#p/u/9/1sdfh9gPUew]YouTube - alertbri's Channel[/ame]

Personally if I don't have time to mess around with AF points I just leave it on a centre-focus point to keep it simple. Alternatively if you have time leave it on the multiple focus points and leave the camera to it (Brian points out multi-focus is required for face-detection).

• Like Like x 1
  8. chistreetstyle

chistreetstyle New to Mu-43

Mar 5, 2011
    Shoturtle, THANK YOU SO MUCH! I really appreciate your helpful comment. The instructions in the link you posted COMPLETELY fixed this issue. Narrowing the size of the auto focus box, which wasn't included in the manual, is exactly what fixed this problem. I was thisclose to going back to my old Canon EOS, which NEVER had any auto focus problems for obvious reasons.

The fix wasn't mentioned in the manual. :smile:

Shoturtle's post fixed this problem. But yeah, your assessment based on absolutely no context or familiarity with me or my work is probably right. I shouldn't be a professional photographer because I encountered a small glitch when I switched to a brand new (and completely unfamiliar) camera system.
    :rofl:

9. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Glad it solved your issue. The default box is to big for certain uses.

10. Pap

Pap Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2010
    Fleetwood, PA
    well worth viewing!
    Pap

11. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    I stand by everything I said.
    Why didn't you switch to manual focus?

12. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Have you tried pointing the camera at the person, lock focus then recompose ? AF cameras are good but you still need to point them in the right direction or the focus target area could well be anywhere.

13. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Great tip but...............does this mean that every time I want a small focus box I have to press the magnify button? Is there no way of setting it permanently?

Thanks

14. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    No, everytime you turn it back on it goes back to the large box. You will need to press it the zoom once you turn it on. And it will stay with the small box unless you change it.

• Like Like x 1