More Pics of the E-M5 surface

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The Olympus E-M5 announcement is expected tonight, and more pictures of the camera in both black and silver finish are leaking out. The picture below is from the Facebook page:

Recap of the expected specifications (source: PhotoRumors):
    • 16MP sensor (likely same as Panasonic G3)
    • 5-axis image stabilization
    • 1.44M EVF
    • 3" touchscreen OLED
    • No built-in flash
    • Dimensions: 122mm x 89mm x 43mm
    • Weight: 369 grams (body only)

If you decide to pre-order this camera, please help support by using our links!
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    hmmm , no built in flash ? :(

I hope we'll know the date of availabilty and pricing tonight
  3. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I need a bib, to catch the drool.
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    So there is a slight overhang of the EVF eyepiece to the rear of the body - I thought earlier photos made it look dead-flush. Still doesn't look like much, but I guess I'm gonna have to handle one of these for a while to see if its an issue for me. It was with the GH2 and G3, but those EVF's extend back a lot farther. This may or may not be.

5. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    Looks interesting. I've learned not to buy the first version though. But this line could replace my EPL-1 eventually.
  6. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    still have it's touchscreen when you need it..very nice.
  7. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    I'll take the OM-D any day of the week and twice on Sunday over the GX1. What's there not to like. Great EVF, tried and proven, probably the same sensor as the G3, GX1, GH2, and it looks like its going to handle like a G2, GF1.

Yup, drool is on but I'll be looking at this model much later this year if at all or perhaps waiting for the 2nd iteration.
  8. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    The body is like a cross between a Pentax P3 and a Chinon CP-5/6, both of which were very comfortable to use. The size is about the same too, mostly be lightly thinner and a little less wide. I'm looking forward to seeing how this feels in hand.
  9. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    New frontal image of the camera now allows direct size comparison with other cameras.

and compared to the NEX-7

• Like Like x 6
  10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    It looks very reminiscent of the original Olympus OM1 / OM2 series with a few changes but styled the same.
    Not a bad thing as they were some of the best analogue out there at the time.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The NEX is pretty amazing in terms of how they've fit the EVF into essentially the same space as the OMD without the EVF. As a system, the NEX has too many flaws for me to consider, but I'm impressed with the engineering of it.
  12. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    When it comes to consumer products, Sony is always ahead of the game. They bring in new technologies in products and their products are usually very feature rich. Its nice but they charge alot for their product over other brands. I am not sure cramming too much into product is a good thing either. I am fan of feature rich gadgets in small space though.
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    5-axis Image Stabilization, eh?
  14. WolfBane

WolfBane Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2012
    Perhaps they are:

1. Up
    2. Down
    3. Left
    4. Right
    5. Space-Time Continuum :eek:
    • Like Like x 2
  15. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It seems that there is no built-in flash, but this won't really be an issue for most. First, no OM had a built-in flash. Second, unlike the PENs, you can mount a flash on the camera and still retain a viewfinder. Plus, mirrorless cameras already have reduced battery life compared to SLRs, so it doesn't really make sense to use an on-board flash. The FL-14 and FL-300R provide superior performance to an on-board (guide number, recycle time, etc), don't drain the camera battery, and take up nearly no space.

If it hasn't been released yet, how is it "tried and proven?" Also, it's double the price of the GX1 and G3, while delivering "only" the same image quality, so it's not like there's a clear winner here. Also also, the GH2 has a different sensor, which is better than the G3/GX1, so how can this new Olympus have the same sensor as all three of these? (Speaking of this, I never understood why the G3/GX1 are getting lauded for their sensor performance when the GH2 has had them beat and been out ages longer? Why do all the discussions center on the hope that this new camera has the G3 sensor and not the GH2 sensor?) Also also also, how do a GF1 and G2 handle the same, if the GF1 is a rangefinder-style body and the G2 is basically a GH2 with inferior handling and sensor performance? The GH2 handles a bit better than the G2 does, and in fact is absolutely superior in every way to my camera. I think you better do some fact-checking, because you seem to be confused about the Panasonic lineup.

The GH2 is the camera that everyone should be comparing it to. It may be older, but I have a feeling that it's still going to be a slugfest between the two. Especially as Panasonic is really on their game when it comes to handling (solid features, good menus, redundant controls so that you aren't shoehorned into using certain buttons, or the touch screen) and videography capability, which is a large part of the GH2 purchasers.

Yes, Sony is capable of amazing technology when they put their minds to it. Once they decided to really compete among enthusiast and serious photographers, they started really rocking the boat. The NEX roadmap claims a mid-to-high grade midrange zoom next year, so if they release a fast-aperture lens before Panasonic releases their claimed 12-35mm f/2.8, I'm going to laugh my head off.
  16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada

Seriously though I think it's vertical, horizontal, and diagonals. 4-axis would explain two diagonals, but I wonder about the 5th... would it be possible to stabilize forward-backwards to account for mis-focus from shake? Hmmm...
  17. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    there are six.

surge: x shift
    sway: y shift
    heave: z shift
    roll: x rolling
    pitch: y rolling
    yaw: z rolling
  18. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I was a little sad by the: "Wireless remote control Not Available"

But for myself, that was about the only negative. I'm glad the mini flash tilts! I don't really need a built in flash, using an E-P2 has pretty much made me reliant on that :wink: and if anything I have a flash gun. Also the AF assist is a nice feature I didn't have in my Pen.

I'm also glad the EVF is slightly protruding... I tend to get face/nose schmutz all over the lcd.

In other comments on other threads I've read about people having the focus peeking as a deal breaker for this camera- but I've never had problems focusing with EVF before, even with the older E-P2 LCD I can most of the time focus well manually- which I imagine will improve with the newer OLED screen. Focus peeking would be nice- but not necessary (although it does puzzle me why they don't include it).

All in all: I will pre order the body (through this site :wink:), but will hold off on the lens... I'd like to see what weather sealed lenses they'll have in the future... also that 70mm looks NICE- which probably isn't weather sealed, but damn it looks nice, big front element :redface:
  19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think the eyecup is removable, which makes it closer to flush.
  20. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Wish it had a smaller hump. :(

Loooking forward to how Pany responds with the GH3.