More pancakes PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by yakky, Feb 14, 2014.

1. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    One of the strengths of the M43 system is small size. IMO, there are too few pancake options, and the ones that exist aren't that great. Anyone else want more small lenses?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Yes, please!

A 20/1.7 that autofocuses properly.

A 12/2.8 with good edges.

A 45/2.5.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 20mm is optically great, just wish Panasonic would revise it to be an internal focusing, fixed length lens like the 14mm.
  4. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    At least with the 12-32 and 14-42 we finally have a couple good pancake zooms. Wouldn't mind seeing a couple more fast-focusing pancake primes, though, for sure.
  5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    An updated version of the 17mm 2.8 with better performance would be nice. Or something like the Pentax 70mm pancake.
  6. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Agree make a 20 or 25 that operates like the 14. Also wouldn't mind for compromises that can be fixed by software. Sony seems to be pushing that envelope, the lens might not be perfect but the software gets it close.
  7. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    I wholeheartedly agree. More pancakes with good AF for the M43 system are welcome any day. It was a damn shame Panasonic decided not to update the AF on the P20 with version II.
  8. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Yes, definitely more lenses

A 45 2.0 would be great.

A faster 20 would be amazing.
  9. PandaSPUR

PandaSPUR Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    I would be all over the 20/1.7 II if it had better AF.
    Its so annoying when this damn lens hunts, my thoughts when I use the lens (sometimes): "okay stop, right there, stop, STOPP, DAMNIT"
  10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    More pancakes at a reasonable price would interest me quickly.
    A short range collapsable 12-17mm f/2.8-3.5 would be greatly appreciated too.
  12. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Same here, if Panasonic had or ever does in the future update the AF on this gem of a lens I will have it in my bag (maybe even glued onto the camera). The AF is its only but unfortunately huge shortcoming.
  13. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    How bad is the AF on the Pana20 anyways? I heard that it wasn't bad unless you had to hunt, so long as there is decent lighting it'd just snap to focus. I think someone posted a video a while back and the focus time differences were less than a few tenths of a second or so.
  14. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    I used it recently and I was surprised to see it wasn't so much the AF speed but the accuracy that fails it.... hunts like no day tomorrow once the light starts to drop. Really frustrating actually (as whats the point of AF if it won't AF).
  15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    AF on the 20mm sucks big time in low light. For that reason, I don't even consider it a low light lens. PL25 can focus even in complete darkness very accurately.
  16. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It is not so much that the 20mm requires an AF update but an entirely new optical design so that it is internal focusing rather than unit focusing (to reduce the mass of the focusing group).