More on the 2 new PENs - and another OM-D review

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by THEME, Jun 11, 2012.

1. THEME

THEME New to Mu-43

Jun 11, 2012
    Hi,

This is my first post in this forum. I thought this story on our photography website THEME is of interest to some readers:

Olympus will soon launch two new PEN cameras (but not a new top-range model):

http://bit.ly/LkRZz6

Also, our site has this OM-D E-M5 review, a camera we really do like:

http://the.me/the-olympus-om-d-e-m5-dream-combo-review/

If you have any interesting (Micro) Four Thirds story, please do let us know.

Looking forward to being here!

Best -

Dan

• Like Like x 2
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Dan, welcome to Mu-43.com. Your site looks good, I hadn't seen it before. When did you launch?

3. THEME

THEME New to Mu-43

Jun 11, 2012
    Thanks for the warm welcome Amin.

We're a pretty new kid on the block. Launched this year.

4. Printfolio

Printfolio Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    Kortrijk, Belgium
    Steven
    Nice review. I added your site to my favourites.:bravo-009:

5. THEME

THEME New to Mu-43

Jun 11, 2012
    That's very kind of you Portfolio, appreciate!

6. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    I tried the first link but "page
    does not exist " was returned.

Chris

7. THEME

THEME New to Mu-43

Jun 11, 2012
    Indeed Chris, thank you for this.

The forum here automatically shortened the URL, so it became unreadable.

I edited the link, the bit.ly URL in the opening post should work now.

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome! I also bookmarked your site - looks very good, I look forward to spending some time there. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The forum here does not shorten any links. It may shorten the displayed link, but the link would still work unless there was an error in the link.

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Welcome to the forum THEME. Your articles are well written, If I have any bookmarks left I'll use it on your website.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  11. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Looks good Dan. Subscribed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Gary, if you find yourself running short of bookmarks I'd be happy to sell you some -- or trade for photo gear.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    So from the information you are getting, prototypes of the new PENs are only for the Lite and Mini and that the EPx isn't ready yet and potentially not going to be announced together with them.

That seems very atypical of how Olympus do things. The new EPx would have been released 1st (with perhaps the mini) and the lite version later... if there was to be a newer L variant in the works. I don't get why they would do that.. the PEN and OM-D are 2 different bodies and 2 different targets.

I for 1 really hope they don't hold up or get rid of the EPx model. The EP3 wasnt enough of a leap for me to justify an upgrade within 14 months of buying my EP2 but I'm ready now for the 4 should it have a new (really new 12mp ideally backlit or the 16mp not just a thinning of the AA filter) sensor and fast focus and hopefully 5 axis IS.

If they really want to stepup.. why not suggest to your source that the mini be a fixed lens 12-36mm zoom f2-4.0 zoom. Along with keep only EP4 and drop the lite. Make sure the EP4 is well priced and not excessive.

EPm2 -fixed lens variant, simply layout and design.
    EP4 - onboard flash, new 12mp sensor, 5axis IS, same screen as EM5.
    EM5 - weather sealed, 16mp sensor, 5axis IS (next gen, fast OM legacy support)

14. THEME

THEME New to Mu-43

Jun 11, 2012
    Well remember, these are rumors we're dealing with, but the source "knows" that only two, not three new PEN cameras will be announced.

Also, not sure about the sales numbers of the E-P3 since the OM-D has been announced...

So instead of three new EPs there will be two, one higher, one lower end, with a market shift towards OM-D... May sound plausible.

The E-P3 is not discontinued, but it will only be upgraded next year.

We should soon know more.

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks DeeJay, I found one in the car, so for now I'm good. I do have a Bigma which doesn't get too much use ... got anything with turtles on it?

G

16. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That Bigma's gonna look pretty silly with my E-PL1 hanging off the back of it. I'm gonna have to start lifting weights so I'll be able to handle that thing. :wink: