1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

More on Nikon's mirrorless entry (Sept 21?)

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Promit, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Kinda surprised nobody posted this here, actually. NikonRumors has posted new info, and there's a possibility that the new camera will be the Sept 21 announcement. Regardless, it's a very interesting lineup...Nikon's compacts suck, but if they execute well on this then I think there's a very real threat posed to m43. What will the Nikon 2.7x sensor be capable of, I wonder?

Other things of note:
    * Four lenses at launch, serious entries. Wide angle pancake, 3x kit zoom, ~4x tele-zoom, 10x huge zoom.
    * Camera will have CDAF and PDAF. How?
    * Not cheap: intro price is expected to be 900-1300 USD.

This might be the pocketable CSC everyone has been waiting for...if the price doesn't completely kill it.

2. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    IMHO, they should have made the P7000(owned and sold) into a m4/3, the digicam was great but the small sensor killed it, plus the bulk. Actually more than anything the bulk. At that price its going to be a tough sell.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't trust Nikon Rumors. They've missed a lot of things and Nikon has been really good at protecting their upcoming products from rumor sites. I'll wait and see what they'll release in the next couple weeks before making any judgement.

4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    At this point in time, any new CSC (Sony, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, etc...) will need to match M43's prime lens lineup (8/3.5 FE, 12/2, 14/2.5, 17/2.8, 20/1.7, 25/1.4, 45/1.8) to warrant more than a passing glance.

Practically-speaking, it will probably be a couple of years before anyone can match that. So while bodies play leapfrog (GH2, EP-3, NEX-7, GH3, EP-4, NEX-8, etc...), I'll continue my investment in M43 glass....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nikon currently is the king of high ISO. The D3S is the only camera capable of delivering a usable 12800 ISO. With their new mirrorless system, at 10.1mp and if they apply Nikon's high ISO tech to this camera, we might be in for a surprise. I'd also be interested in who's supplying the sensors. Nikon currently makes the D3100, D3S and D700 sensors themselves...it'd make sensor they'd make the sensor for this camera as well if they plan on making it a high volume item.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The rumor quotes a "CCD sensor". If that's true, it'll likely be compact size, like a 2/3" or 1/1.8" sensor or something, not a DSLR sized sensor like an APS-C. Nobody uses CCD in anything larger than a compact anymore.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I dunno about that small sensor size ... I am still of the ol' mindset on light sensitive medium that bigger is better. I didn't see any dimensions on the cartoon drawing ... if the camera is very very small then I can see the need for a smaller sensor ... if the camera is similar in size to the E-P3 or G3 or GF3 then what-the-heck?

Gary

PS- Ned the sensor has a 2.7/2.6 crop.
    G

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Just think of m4/3 being the Nikon's NEX. Small bodies with 'unreasonably' large lenses for slightly better IQ. It's just another step on the same path.

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The camera may not be a µ4/3 as µ4/3 designates a specific sensor size and mounting system. Large lenses on small bodies is fine as long as it creates a significantly better photo ... the only thing that really matters in photography is the final image.

G

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Not what I said. I'm saying NEX is to m4/3 as m4/3 is to Nikon 2.7x.
    Come on, that's not true at all. If that were the case we should all be carrying a 645D or something. There are so many other factors at play than the final result.

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    IMHO, if Nikon were making their own sensors, everyone would know for sure. Why would they not be bragging about it? How do you keep a multi million dollar chip fab a secret?

You don't and can't. The chips are produced by someone else, the only question is how much tweaking is done - basically the same discussion we had about the EP3 and the same outcome - it's just a more highly polished turd.

12. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I am afraid I agree with Garry on this. The final image is what it is all about for me.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Okay µ4/3 to Nikon 2.6/2.7 ... got that ... good analogy.

Regarding the second remark, actually it is. All the other factors may affect one's ability to consistently capture the exceptional image or effect the image quality of the photograph ... but, for the viewer/critic, the bottom line is the final image.

In photography and art, the destination is more important than the journey.

G

14. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    But if all they've got are slow F3.5-F5.6 variable aperture lenses, then all the stops gained in the sensor will be lost in the glass.

SMTL - Show Me the Lenses!

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    But the article made mention of a Nikon adaptor ... so maybe Nikon is driving photographers to their APS-C and FF lenses.

G

16. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    *cough* M9 *cough* =)

17. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Perhaps, but with similar challenges as M43 and most other CSCs - crop factor and manual control. At the end of the day, a huge number of people buy entry-level dSLRs and use kit lenses that may as well be welded on. So maybe it's not an issue for most, but M43 can boast the widest lens lineup of all CSCs at this point.

18. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Probably by using the same fab as before making pretty much the same chips as before, just cut a bit differently. Besides, it's basically confirmed that the 2.7x mirrorless system is being announced on Wednesday now. Should be some deliciously over-priced flamewar fun coming up... the sort of idiotic discussion that dpreview forums thrive on. Thankfully I have you guys!

Seriously though, I'm really curious to see what the story is on lenses. Everybody has small bodies already. And the IQ question...Nikon sensors are Sony good, and 2.7x is within shouting distance of m4/3. Kinda rough on legacy lenses, since 50mm is all the way up to 135mm.

19. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not all Nikon sensors are Sony. The D3S/D3/D700/D3100/D2H/D2HS are Nikon built.

20. gttkelvin

gttkelvin New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2011