More olympus PRO lens in the pipeline?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by hazwing, Sep 10, 2013.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    According to an article from dpreview, after the 40-150 f2.8, olympus are planning on releasing more lenses in the 'PRO' range. An ultrawide and a telephoto prime.

"Olympus has also announced the development of a matching M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO telezoom, which is scheduled to be released by the end of 2014. It's given few further details, but the press images show it'll be a substantially larger lens than Panasonic's Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS (as you'd expect). After that, Olympus plans to release a wideangle zoom and super-telephoto prime in this nascent Micro Four Thirds 'PRO' range. It seems that these are unlikely to be direct Micro Four Thirds equivalents of the existing Four Thirds Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm F4 and Zuiko Digital 300mm F2.8, but instead offer different headline specs."

Source: Olympus introduces M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm F2.8 'Pro' zoom: Digital Photography Review

I'm looking forward to seeing what they bring in a new ultrawide zoom. Weather sealing, ability to take filters and better image quality than the existing 9-18mm?
  2. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    <a href="">[​IMG]"1024">
  3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I just read that very same quote on DPReview. When I first heard of a new PRO line, I was hoping for faster 1.4 primes. But I guess, now they're just calling the existing quality primes as "PREMIUM" category lenses. I guess we'll have to look to Panny for that with their 42.5/1.2. :2thumbs:
  4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I think this is what jsusilo was trying to post:

<a href="" target="_blank">" border="0" alt=" photo highres-olympus-lens-roadmap-2013-2014_1378468775.jpg"/></a>

(taken from
  5. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    The longer the focal length, the greater the weight and cost penalties you'll pay for each extra f/stop. That's why I'd rather see M43 primes like a 100/2.5, 200/3.2, and 300/4.5.
  6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Given Olympus doesn't 'do' in-lens stabilization and the Panasonic doesn't include it currently anyway, I'm curious what they'll do to make this compelling over the 7-14mm ... maybe the ability to take filters, a longer range, or faster maximum aperture?

For the long prime, I'd guess a 300mm f/2.8 or f/4 is in order for the system. I'd rather the f/2.8 myself - a high quality, fast long lens like that would be great for m4/3 and take full advantage of the 2x crop factor. It'd be big, but the 40-150mm and its accompanying tripod plate seems to indicate they're not scared of going bigger with the "pro" glass.

We'll see!
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Y'know, as senseless as it is to add the name "pro" to a model line, I'm glad Olympus is doing it. 'cause I know the zombie consumer market won't know it's a good lens until they see it labeled as such. They can't tell just by looking at the specifications and build quality, like the rest of us can. ;)
  8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    And God knows there are plenty of zombies lurking around here. :biggrin: