More non-scientific inter-system fun.

Gromit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Greetings from sunny, rural Lincolnshire (sounding like Darren Miles here) :D

Had a leisurely wander down to our village church yesterday morning and thought it might be fun (and hopefully interesting) to do a quick comparison between the 2 cameras systems I currently own. The light was kind, little or no shadow, which made for an easy time with metering. I appreciate each system has its strengths and weaknesses - I'm a big fan of both and maintain they compliment each other rather than compete. Still, it's nice to get the chance to put them alongside. All images were from jpeg, the Oly image being taken using hi-res - this does work its own magic but the difference wasn't huge between it and the standard 20MP ones.

Anyway, see what you think - oh, and if anyone fancies lending me a GFX 50R I'd be more than happy to give it a try ;)

NDF_2144.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
OMD10140.jpg
NIK_6765.jpg

Of the Nikons, I think I prefer the D700 shot(s).

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Morning Richard,
I always find it very difficult with these kind of comparison tests, trying to assess which one is "better", though that's not really the criteria is it?
Having studied them (my neck's aching from moving my head up and down) without zooming in, I can only say that there are subtle differences.
Certainly I find the stonework in the Olympus shot "warmer" than the Nikons and wonder which is the more accurate rendition, though I'm sure that would be hard to tell even if you went back to look at the church again, given different light.
There appears to be more detail in the grassed area in the Olympus shot ( I'm not hazarding a guess whether they're all leaves or flowers) I assume is down to Hi-Res.
So, no conclusions from me I'm sorry, except to say I'm sure a certain Leica camera may have been "better". ;)

Gromit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Morning Richard,
I always find it very difficult with these kind of comparison tests, trying to assess which one is "better", though that's not really the criteria is it?
Having studied them (my neck's aching from moving my head up and down) without zooming in, I can only say that there are subtle differences.
Certainly I find the stonework in the Olympus shot "warmer" than the Nikons and wonder which is the more accurate rendition, though I'm sure that would be hard to tell even if you went back to look at the church again, given different light.
There appears to be more detail in the grassed area in the Olympus shot ( I'm not hazarding a guess whether they're all leaves or flowers) I assume is down to Hi-Res.
So, no conclusions from me I'm sorry, except to say I'm sure a certain Leica camera may have been "better". ;)
Thanks Brian - and I agree, there's not always a solid conclusion to draw from this kind of stuff, even if it is quite good fun to carry them out.

The WB is a bit awry, should've really compensated for that in PP but hopefully the fundamentals - sharpness, DR etc come through OK. The Df's a lovely thing - for me, the hate for it (on release) wasn't really justified, and I count myself as one of those cynics at first. However, I still prefer my trusty old D700 - its AF is more accurate, plus there's just a certain 'something' about its files which I love and having large hands, it feels superb despite its weight.

Still itching to try a GFX though. :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom