1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

More newbie flash questions

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Joltinjess, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    I'm loving my flash but am having a few issues. I think sometimes when the flash is maxed out power wise, the photo is under exposed. I see this on the screen and then manually turn up the ISO, then it's fine. Is there a menu adjustment for this? Right now I have my slow limit at 1/60, which I would like to keep because I'm usually shooting my quick moving daughter. Also my x-sync speed is set at 1/160, Is there any reason to have this at anything but the highest setting?

2. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    Your flash is not powerful enough for the situation you where shooting at. When you turn up the ISO on your camera, it also makes your flash stronger in relative to the camera. Technically the flash is the same power, but since you turn up the ISO it is more sensitive to the light which is why you are getting more brighter exposure.

Why should you set the shutter speed slower than 1/160 sec? You want to use a slower sync speed when you want to get some more ambiance light in the background. If you shoot indoors and use flash, a lot of time the backgound will be really dark unless if you slow down your shutter speed. Yes you can raise your ISO, but I would rather keep my ISO low and slow down the shutter speed to keep noise down as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The first question to ask, is your subject is well lit. If yes the flash is strong enough, if not get a stronger flash or get closer to the subject. In your scenario you need a flash with TTL.
    The shutter speed and the ISO control the background has Saelee have noted. the subject is illuminated by the flash which is very quick therefor the shutter speed will not affect it.

4. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    So the 1/60th handholding rule doesn't apply when using flash? What do people have their slow limit set to? As for the slow sync, I'm not worried about the background too much because if it's dark it helps to isolate the subject. My flash is TTL with a guide number of 199ft, when I bought it I was under the impression that it was quite powerful.

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The flash duration is much shorter than the shutter speed so it "stops the action" even at relatively low shutter speeds. The camera usually defaults to the flash sync speed unless slow sync is turned on.

A guide no. of 199 ft. is relatively high if it's at a low iso. The GN has to be at a particular iso to mean anything.

Fred

6. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    One of the under-appreciated under-discussed aspects of M43 photography is the use of fast primes with wide open lens . For example a 20mm f1.7 set at 1.7 at 1/ 160th just using the in body lens will light up the room . Or boost the ISO for even more lighting. I don't know why you are having trouble with the flash unless you are outdoors. I use S or P mode or you will get ghosts with residual ambient light. Never use intelligent mode for flash as it suddenly gets stupid or just turns off your flash. Make sure there are no objects in the foreground.