1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

More lenses V Extension Tubes V Cropping

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Gyles, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Looking to add a little something extra to my travel package, a little closer and a more reach, P20 & P14-45 Budget and size are important to me and am currently working on acquiring the new P12-32 compact and selling the P14-45.

My options are

1, Just stick to cropping. Served me OK, free and not extras to carry.

2, Set of tubes, most likely Kenko, Meike or Fotga, cheap, not too much bulk, but to me unknown I.Q.

3, stock up on extra lenses .

What are your thoughts.

Thank you.

2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    IQ will be the same for any reasonable extension tubes as they have no optical elements. (DIY ones might not be parallel so can introduce some variation)

If you want to get significantly closer the extension tubes are worth it. As you say they're cheap & small though I wouldn't bother with the cheapest Chinese ones that have screw together sections though you loose aperture copntrol...
    With wide angle lenses relatively little extension makes a huge difference, so if cropping is getting you close enough you might find the tubes get you too close if your lmited to 32mm. The reduceed working distance might also prove to be an issue.

I find it difficult to avoid stocking up on lenses, from the sale of your Hexanons I assume you want to go native. The 50-200 has proved to be a worthwhile investment for me, drastically increasing my reach in µ4/3 without costing a fortune or weighing too much. It's also worked out quite well for some close-up type shots (eg. Dragonflies on the wing) that I couldn't have got with my adapted lenses.

Where about in Norfolk are you? I visit Dereham regularly to see my Parents.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    I'm trying to keep everything compact. P 45-150 is on my shopping list, I've considered the 50;200 but it's twice the weight, But we travel via budget airlines 10kg hand luggage only so I like my kit to be all in at 2kg. First thing though yes I'm selling my Hexanons and P14-45 but to fund P12-32 compact. For about £30 I could pick up a pair 10&16mm tubes with full electronic pass through. This set up would all fit into my jacket pockets. At £30 they might be worth a punt.

I'm just outside King's Lynn. Which within an hour there is a lot of shooting potential. P100-300 would be very nice but only for birding or when I'm watching motorbike racing.