More from The Cummer Museum and

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Djarum, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    a little experimentation.

I normally shoot OOC jpegs. Normally they are good enough. I decided to develop these in RAW. I do have the jpegs, and while not terribly different, the first one I think is better from the RAW exposure. I used Olympus Viewer 2. I konw some have complained about it, but it seems adequate for me. I like the fact that I can finely adjust the noise reduction. While some of the same things I have done in GIMP using jpeg, the noise reduction I think needs to be set before the jpeg is created.

The only real complaint is that I thought I'd get a little more dynamic range from the RAW. If I tried to boost the shadows even by a .5EV or so, they get really noisy. It also doesn't seem like I can't tone down the highlights that much, either. In this area, it doesn't seem to me that there is much difference from the raw and the jpeg when it comes to dynamic range. I think Olympus jpeg engine is already squeezing out most of what it can.

Ok, onto th photos. The Art museum was an old house built in the early part of the 20th century. The owners kept beautiful gardens. The house has long since been gone, and was dedicated to be a Museum. However, the gardens do remain and are kept up by the museum.

P3255640_scale.

P3255719_crops.