1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

More Fast Glass Coming?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by ijm5012, Jun 13, 2018.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The rumor site is reporting a patent filing by Sigma for a 14mm f/1.2 (actually f/1.28) and a 35mm f/1.2 (actually f/1.28) for m43. For some reason, the rumor site thinks these will be Panasonic-branded lenses, since the PanaLeica 12/1.4 was designed by Sigma (but they seem to forget that the O 75/1.8 was also designed by Sigma).

Personally, I don't see why Panasonic would have a 12mm f/1.4 AND a 14mm f/1.2 (but then again, Nikon has an f/1.4 version of their 24 & 28mm lenses, so who knows). Also, I find the focal lengths a bit odd. 14mm makes sense in terms of it being a 28mm FoV, but 35mm is just odd for m43, occupying a sort of "dead man's zone" between a 50mm FoV and 85mm FoV.

Either way, it looks like there will be more fast primes on their way for m43. Let the complaining about size/weight/cost commence!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    I wish there was a 90 f2, 135 f2.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I like odd FLs. If the 35mm performs as well as the Sigma 30 1.4, it would be a great option branded as whatever.

I wish Sigma would return to making mft lenses instead of APS-C lenses with the mft mount. Maybe they are, but Panasonic and Olympus are branding them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. AgentMichaelScarn

AgentMichaelScarn Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    The f1.2 primes are too big! Where is the M43 size advantage?

The f1.7 primes are too slow! Only f3.3 on FF!

:rolleyes-38:

• Funny Funny x 8
  5. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 31, 2013
    Last time I checked, Sigma designed the 17mm, 25mm and 45mm f/1.2 PRO lenses... The link to Egami I can't find right now but the patent images match the optical formulas on the Olympus. We also know Sigma designed the 75mm f/1.8 for Olympus.

Wouldn't surprise me if the 14mm is for Olympus. I remembered there was some rumors about a wider focal length in f/1.2 a while back.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2013
    Nelson, NZ
    David
    Would the patent need to show the image stabilisation elements? I see there is mention of focus, but not IS. Would Panasonic do a lens without IS?

7. Linden

Linden Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2017
    Knox, TN
    Have you ever used a 1.2 lens on FF? The 85 1.2L II is is big, heavy, and slow focusing... not to mention around $2k (I bought mine on sale for $1700). Let’s take a look at the 85L II in comparison to the most comparable Olympus lens, the 45mm 1.2 PRO MFT lens.

85L II - 91mm wide, 84mm long, 1025gm
    45 1.2 - 70mm wide, 85mm long, 410gm

So while larger and heavier than many want to deal with, there IS a size/weight advantage to the 1.2’s on MFT.

8. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    So... Is this the right place and time to start moaning that I prefer zooms and the focal lengths are not for me and the size and price are huuuuge? :hiding:

TBH, those lenses are not for me but so what? More lenses --> more selection --> more (potential) customers --> more lenses.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    f1.28 = f1.3 to 1 decimal place. Who the hell would buy an f1.3 lens? We need f1.2 ;) 

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Mikehit

Mikehit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2018
    Why does there need to be a size advantage for every lens? There are some excellent compact lenses elsewhere in the catalogues offering these as well gives the MFT owner an option on almost everything they need. I recall the same 'but they are not compact' when the 100-400 or 300mm f4 came out - they give the MFT owner the option if they want to do telephoto work.
    I know professionals who own the Canon 70-200 f2.8L for their pro work but almost always take the 70-200 f4L when shooting for fun. The wider aperture lens is a specific tool for a specific task.

• Sad Sad x 1
  11. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I wouldn't possibly be interested in these because they are too slow
    just-kidding-bitch.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    The solution is to get the f1.4 :D .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 31, 2013
    Forgot one more, Sigma patent against the Olympus 8mm f/1.8 PRO fisheye...
    FT-8mm-700x254.
    150167_oly8bud2.

And for a preemptive strike made in the name of the size/weight war...
    Sigma 100-200 3.5.
    E-M5    LUMIX G VARIO 12-32/F3.5-5.6    23mm    f/5.6    1/10s    ISO 200

OMD51397.
    E-M5    OLYMPUS M.25mm F1.8    25mm    f/3.2    1/5s    ISO 250

14. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Do we really know that? Certainly this sort of thing happens. I’ve seen discussion about how close the 75mm f/1.8 patents look, and there was some discussion about the 8mm FE Pro, but I haven’t seen anything like that about the f/1.2 primes.

15. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 31, 2013
    If I ever find the patent images I remember downloaded from that site that went down I'll upload them, otherwise you'll have to take my word.

I distinctly remember stumbling across them at one point and was surprised that it was not only the 25mm f/1.2 but on digging deeper onto the original Japanese website that the patent image was posted on that I could match the 17mm and 45mm f/1.2s up...

Not to mention the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 also seems to be a Sigma too...

16. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2017
    Agree.

Truly wish Sigma would sell them directly instead of Panasonic or Olympus. The lenses would be half the price, better quality, and actually possible to repair.

17. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 31, 2013
    The latter two points I don't fully agree with, but the former...

I'm torn between liking, agreeing and picking funny...

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2017
    Sigma actually sells parts for their lenses. Panasonic often does not.

The build quality on my Sigma Art lenses is well above that of most Panasonic lenses, even the "Leica" lenses.

It's unfortunate but true that Panasonic is moving to production methods that prevent even their own regional repair centers from performing the most minor of fixes, like bad firmware flashes. It appears some lens models are built to never be taken apart outside of the factory.

If Panasonic or Olympus sold a micro four thirds version of the Sigma Art 18-35 or 50-100, suspect they'd cost $2000, maybe more.

19. Sigma have already stated that there is no business case for making dedicated m4/3 lenses for them. The best you can hope for is an APS-C which they remount for m4/3.

Therefore, for them to do it, requires somebody like Olympus or Panasonic to pay them megabucks, and at that point is going to be branded Olympus/Panasonic and the costs passed on to the consumer.

20. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2017
    If there's a business case for Olympus and Panasonic to make them, it stands that there's a business case for Sigma to make them. They might have to charge a little more. Okay.

Which is why we're refusing to buy any more Panasonic or Olympus native lenses. Everything from here on out will be adapted glass, unless Panasonic and Olympus sharply reduce their prices and improve their support.

Frankly, with the Viltrox EF-M2 now widely available for $150, there are amazing lenses in EF format for a fraction of the price Panasonic and Olympus charge. Adapted lenses with fully functional autofocus. Lenses that can actually be repaired. And if autofocus isn't required, vintages lenses are available that offer every bit the quality at 1/10th or less the price.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.