1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

More EVIL and Serious Compacts

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by avidone, Nov 20, 2011.

1. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Just a quick note that there are signs that Italy (well, thanks to some French retailers) is finally started to really get exposed to mu43, other EVILs and various assorted Serious Compacts.

Until now, all I had seen were a few *(&%^&$% Sony NEXes hanging around or forlorn dusty E-PL1's here and there. Today I was at the mall and the FNAC store had:
    E-PL1 kits at lowered prices
    E-PM1
    E-PL3
    G-3
    GF-3
    four different NEXes
    X100's
    and the first live X10 I have seen , but unfortunately was unable to fondle.

Altogether these various serious compact cameras took up nearly as much space as they have dedicated to Big Black Canikon Blobs

This really might say something about the market or at least the marketing as the holiday buying season commences

• Like Like x 3
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 1
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    But he was talking about serious compacts....

sorry, couldn't resist! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :tongue::tongue::tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  5. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    oh yeah, they had some of those too-- or at least hollow plastic mock-ups of them... but I said SERIOUS Compacts, didn't I?

• Like Like x 1
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Well, you did include NEX in your list....:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  7. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

They have money to spend in Italy? Our press tells us you are all broke. :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  8. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Well, in Italy it is actually the COUNTRY that is broke, largely since the people do their best to not pay taxes. Personal wealth, other than my own, seems to still be doing pretty well. I fare not comment further on the now ex Prime Monster , umm Minister lest I be accused of politics.... ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Speaking of Italy,
    I spent a few gorgeous months in Conegliano :smile: :thumbup:

10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes and this is neither compact nor serious .
    :rofl:

11. robertmwilliams

robertmwilliams Mu-43 Regular

You know I tried one at Best Buy and have to say when that thing drops to a sane price (for the V1 anyway) I will be adding it to my kit.
    It's feels better than the photos of it would suggest, the photo quality is none too shabby and for a lot of situations 10MP is enough.
    But for now, the Nikon marketing/pricing department is suffering from serious, almost Leica-like levels, of pricing unreality.

12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Nothing comes close to Leica unreality!! Leica is slated for yet another price increase on 01/01/2012. And the limited production keeps driving the price up on used gear. First version of Noctilux was selling used for $1200 back in early 2000's. Now it's about $10,000!! Almost as much as the retail price on the current Noctilux, IF one can even find one anywhere!

13. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It would be one thing for Leica to charge what they do if everything was perfect.

It's absolutely criminal for them to charge what they do and have the quality issues they do.

14. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    this thread is full of win.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I was around Best Buy today and it's amazing how many people go straight for the Nikon J1. It's the only one they've heard about, and they have no idea what these Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, and Olympus cameras around it are. Could you imagine what could have been done with the original Digital PEN system with that kind of marketing clout, or with the current crop of much cheaper and better quality mirrorless cams?

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Nothing amazing about it.
    Look at the amount of advertising Nikon has done with this system compared to Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Olympus.

Nope, nothing amazing about it all when you consider how much as been put into advertising....

Now what IS amazing is that Panasonic & Sony have the $$$$ to do this....but they haven't...

17. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-P1 and E-P2 were not ready to be mass marketed. Right now is the right time for agressive advertising by Oly and Pany as there are several models for any budget and all have competitive usability. Panasonic seems to be improving quite a bit in the recent couple of months. Both distribution and stock seem to be much better since just a few months ago (in the US at least). They even overhauled their online store.
    I attribute all those changes to the arrival of Nikon 1. Sony is nowehere near as determined as Nikon to take over mirrorless marketshare.

18. Bhupinder2002

Yes Ned. Nikon is putting their whole weight behind this new toy. But things are not that bad in Australia as compared to USA .Here people still talk to salesmen or friends before making a decision .I don't understand why Panasonic and Olypmus hasn't done this.I love the MFT so much that I am planning a small road show in heart of Melbourne to make people more aware about this format and tell them photography exists beyond N and C as well.
    Cheers

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    For Olympus,
    It *might* have something to do with that still missing 4.9billion in currency....

20. Bhupinder2002

LoL yes .. infact they are promoting Tupperware. Olympus is giving them truckloads of money and panasonic is offering free Tupperware dinner sets with many purchases here in Australia..
    :thiagree: