1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

More evidence on GH3 having a Sony sensor

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by With_Eyes_Unclouded, Nov 13, 2012.

1. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    As reported in 43rumors (GH3 review at Digitalcamerainfo. GH3 and E-PL5 comparison and almost identical IQ. | 43 Rumors) a recent test shows nearly identical results from the GH3 and the E-PL5. Meaning the most probable scenario is them having the same sensor as in the OM-D and just differ in AA filters.

Original (translated) link here:

Google Translate

This goes to show that, for the time being, there is nothing new in terms of sensor-related tech for :43:, after the release of the OM-D. I guess we'll have to wait until later next year for the next step forward concerning sensor performance.

2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I think we can safely assume that the GH3 does have the same Sony sensor as the E-M5.

That's rather overlooking what a significant step forward the Sony sensor is for the format. The only reason Panasonic have not upped the game is that they have nothing comparable. I still regard the Sony/E-M5 sensor as new, or at least recent. In fact it is so good that if I had to live with it for another 5 years I'd be quite happy to do so. :smile:

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    That is crazy talk, 6 months old sensor tech is old hat these days!

4. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Oh, but I agree with you, esp. on the last statement. This is the reason the GH3 doesn't appeal to me (I'm not interested in the - quite valid - improvements in handling and video over the OM-D).

What I meant was, this sensor is last year's tech (don't forget when the OM-D was originally announced) so, by logic, we'll have to wait for Summer 2013, at the earliest, for the next major improvement.

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Heh. And yet I'm still not really tempted to upgrade the now, what, 4 year-old 5D mark II...

6. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    But summer 2013 is only about 6 months away. That's assuming we do actually get a summer in the UK next year! Over here, just lately, summers are rarer than new :43: sensors. :biggrin:

7. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    There must come a point, surely, when good enough is good enough? I'm certainly ready to step off the ridiculous upgrade cycle treadmill. Now that I have the E-M5 I have to ask myself what could possibly be better? (for my photography)

I can see the E-M5 lasting me a long, long time - provided that not too many bits drop off it! :rofl: I'd rather invest any spare money (if there ever is any) in more and better lenses.

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm totally on board with you there.

There is still more to gain in terms of noise handling at higher ISO, I think, but I don't see it happening soon. the E-M5 was the first MFT camera to deliver results that I found good enough to warrant investment in the system - when you're spoiled by a sensor (and resolution) of something like the 5D mark II, it takes one hell of a camera to make you consider a 'sidegrade'.

I don't see myself replacing the 5DII for a good long while - maybe a theoretical mark IV with higher resolution and 2 stops of ISO improvement (or, better, significantly more dynamic range and a modest high ISO imporvement, since it's landscape photography and large prints that I love making with it).

• Like Like x 1
  9. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    It's sort of a bummer that everyone is using the same sensor fab. Any innovation would really come from Sony, then eventually trickle down to Olympus and Panasonic.

Of course, there will be tiny ways that each company handles the rest of the sensor, but the differences will be small. Just look at sensor results for the Nikon D7000, D5100, Pentax K5, Sony NEX 5N, 5R, 6, (and to some extent) Fuji X-Pro 1 and X-E1.

10. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I'd rather have panasonic use sony's sensor for the time being and let them fight on other fronts (features, capabilities, form factor, etc) than have panasonic cameras with subpar sensors (while they try to catch up on sensor fabrication).

• Like Like x 1
  11. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    If it's true that the GH3, E-M5 and E-PL5 use the same sensor then I begin to become more than a bit worried that the GH3 may show the same nasty purple ghosts with the Panny 7-14mm as the other cameras seem to do; and from at least one user report it's not even strictly limited to the 7-14mm lens. A first indication for trouble is found here, I'm quoting the caption of the last picture.

Doesn't bode well, I will certainly wait for a number of positive user experiences before I pull the trigger on the GH3 (which BTW I'm still eager to do).

12. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Just got back from a 5 days island trip, with 7-14mm as my primary lens on OMD. I haven't noticed any purple fringing on the pictures so far.

13. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I don't see the need to upgrade at this point. True, I'd rather have a few lenses that I feel are missing from the :43: system, as well as, perhaps, a couple of critical accessories.

That said, nothing is perfect and everything has to be improved one way or another. For me a OM-D replacement would have to offer at least one stop improvement in both DR (over the ISO range) and ISO noise. Some useability and performance upgrades would be welcome as well. Something like this would perhaps be available (and stable/tested) by this time next year, on which point my OM-D will probably approach its 100K shutter count.

14. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    It'll take me about 5 years to reach a 100K shutter count and if I average 500 keepers a year I'll be happy! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1