More disappointment from Precision Camera...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pwol, Jun 16, 2016.

1. pwol

pwol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2015
    CT
    I've been having problems with the power on/off switch on my E-M5 mark ii for a couple of months now. It slowly started to fail but would still work every once in a while. A couple of weeks later it completely stopped working. I just dealt with the inconvenience by removing the battery whenever I wanted to power it down. This got to be very annoying, and I decided to have it repaired as I was 10 months into the original warranty.

I filled out the repair form yesterday and Olympus wanted me to send it to Precision Camera in Enfield. I live in CT, not too far from them, so I just dropped it off in person. They said it would be a 1 hr repair so I just waited in the lobby. 30 minutes in, I was told that the technician found corrosion on the lens flange and outside on the body. The lady was pointing to it but I saw no corrosion at all. She said they cant perform the repair and would have to take some pictures, send it to Olympus, and wait for their response before moving forward. I felt like this was pretty shady as the camera was in great condition, but there wasnt much I could do.

I got a call from them today saying that Olympus authorized the repair, which they had performed. She said they put in a new spring on the power switch, and cleaned the camera up overall.

I picked it up and was happy that they actually fixed the power switch instead of leaving me hanging, and I left the place. I got home, went to mount a lens, and was shocked when I saw the sensor. They left it absolutely filthy. I was always VERY OCD about mounting/switching lenses... my sensor was pristine... like new without a single speck of dust on it. I regret not taking a picture of the sensor before turning it in for repair, but didnt even think that would be something to worry about.

This whole process has just been very disappointing. What are my options now? Contact Olympus? Precision? I dont trust them and after reading hundreds of very negative reviews Id like to avoid them. Clean it myself? Blowing it with a duster doesnt help at all. I'm hesitant to do anything else due to the floating IBIS sensor.

Any tips or suggestions?

This thing is filthy... but it's kinda hard to pick up with my phone camera.

27719198725_6962e9ef00_b. 201606164 by Paul Wola, on Flickr

27685345176_b878a740cf_b. 201606163 by Paul Wola, on Flickr

27107019534_81ea75e836_b. 201606162 by Paul Wola, on Flickr

27719201505_f9296969e3_b. 201606161 by Paul Wola, on Flickr

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. pwol

pwol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2015
    CT
    Here's what it looks like on a plain white paper sensor dust test

27720038795_21e4268846_b. 201606161-2 by Paul Wola, on Flickr

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I would call Olympus, explain the situation, tell them that you do not want to send the camera back to the same repair center that created the problem.
    I think cleaning the sensor at home formally voids the warranty and you'd have to buy the cleaning liquid anyway.

Ask for another repair center and ask them to pay for the shipment (you already paid for the first "shipment", with your time and gas) and the problem was not solved so you do not have to pay more. It's not unreasonable, when I had a similar problem with a product under warranty was the manufacturer himself that told me they were sending me a courier to pick up the item at my place free of charge.

5. pwol

pwol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2015
    CT
    Thanks

I called Olympus. Customer service was great, they told me to send it to the NJ facility to have cleaned under warranty. I could bring it to Precision and have it cleaned today and be done with it, but I'd rather ship it out and wait however long to avoid them.

Learn from my mistake... take a lot of very detailed pictures before sending anything off to be repaired, especially if you have to go through Precision Camera.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I have used Precision a few times and have not had any issue with them or their service, perhaps I was lucky or perhaps you were unlucky. Anyway, I have to wonder if because you brought it in and they were trying to repair it while you were waiting if they rushed the job and forgot to clean the sensor afterwords. Typically an "Olympus" service includes a cleaning. But in the rush to get the camera back out to the waiting room forgot the cleaning step.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Unfortunately, Olympus no longer sells parts to any other former Oly repair centers in USA.

8. pwol

pwol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2015
    CT
    That was originally the plan, but I had to leave it with them as they wouldnt start working on it until they got the O.K from Olympus on the next day.

I think you were more lucky than I was unlucky lol. Check out these reviews, plus just about every brands popular forum seems to have plenty of threads talking about negative experiences with them.

Precision Camera - - Enfield, CT
    Precision Camera Repair in Enfield , CT

9. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Assuming one did a reasonably competent job, how would anyone know you did a cleaning? Is there any way for them to tell?

10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    That assumes that you did a reasonably competent job. While many have cleaned their Oly sensors at home with no problems, damage to IBIS is a possibility.

--Ken

11. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Do they even do repair work in NJ? I know that cleaning a sensor does not take a lab, as Oly will be doing it on tour, but I thought that Precision was doing all of their repairs? Personally, I would take it back to Precision and wait while they cleaned it. In my four experiences, they have always done a good job making sure that the sensor was clean after repairs, so I would agree with the speculation above that they just forgot to clean it. When given a second chance, Precision has usually been able to make good on bad repairs, and I say that from personal experience.

Good luck,

--Ken

12. Steven Norquist

Steven Norquist Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2016
    Steven Norquist
    Never clean an Oly M4/3 sensor. It has a special anti-static coat on it to protect it. Send it to Oly. They clean it and replace the coating.
    If you clean it and the coating comes off it will get dirty super fast and haunt you.
    By the way, I have never got any dirt on my sensor after 5 years of ownership.
    I am always super careful and only blow it clean with a Rocket blower.
    The vibration cleaning is amazing.
    I never see dust spots in any of my photos.

13. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Caution on Rocket blowers for those who live in warm or humid climates.
    The rubber can grow mold.
    Easy enough to wipe off the outside, but if it's there, it's probably on the inside also.
    You will be blowing mold spores into your camera and onto your lenses.
    Not a good idea.

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. pwol

pwol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2015
    CT
    I just got my camera back from the NJ facility and they got the sensor looking brand new again! They even threw in a free hot shoe cover (I didnt ship it with the cover so it wouldn't get lost in the process). Overall great experience and I'm really glad they were able to take care of it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Glad it worked out well for you!

--Ken

16. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I just got my E-M1 back from the Enfield, CT location and no issues to report (other than the fact that they reset the damn camera. Fortunately I have two E-M1, so I just went through each menu item copying the setting from one camera to the other). The sensor was spotless, and they cleaned the sensor along with doing an internal cleaning, as well as fixing the failing rear dial (the reason I sent the camera in).

• Like Like x 2